Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Your FAST 92 Bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Check Your FAST 92 Bolts?

I just did a FAST 92 install and am having a problem keeping the 10 long ss bolts, that came with the intake, torqued down. I tried blue loctite, then red (per FAST's recommendation) and they still will not hold the 89"lb torque. I called FAST and they have not heard of the problem. They said they will call some of there high volume buyers to see if they might have seen this issue. Have any of you guys with this intake checked your torque on these bolts lately? I'm thinking it has something to do with the use of stainless steel bots into the aluminum heads.This is not going to work if I have to keep re-torquing theses bolts after every drive.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just checked mine 2 nights ago and with only 300 miles on the build they were way backed off of 89 inch lbs. I used a paint pen this time so I can visually see if they start to back off. But I agree this is unnacceptable for a plastic intake that costs this much.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
I just checked mine 2 nights ago and with only 300 miles on the build they were way backed off of 89 inch lbs. I used a paint pen this time so I can visually see if they start to back off. But I agree this is unnacceptable for a plastic intake that costs this much.
It might not be the bolts backing off it could be the intake/gaskets seating (squishing) more....making the bolts loose...

Sometimes when you tighten the one side the opposite side loosens up cuz it pulls it down more so I tighten the bolts snug, then snugger then to spec and run through every bolt at least twice with the torque wrench so I know any didnt loosen up when I tightened the other ones...
Old 04-01-2009, 12:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^I agree that goes without saying though. I will just continue to keep an eye on it to see what happens. If they do not move off the paint mark but still "loosen" up over time then yes it would be the gaskets not the actual bolts.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to replace mine from an install last spring. I park the car in an stand alone garage from November till April. The bolts fast supplied rusted over the winter and I never opened the garage. I still have the original stock ones.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Viper
I have to replace mine from an install last spring. I park the car in an stand alone garage from November till April. The bolts fast supplied rusted over the winter and I never opened the garage. I still have the original stock ones.
That's why they switched over to stainless hardware.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just pulled my fast 92 a few weeks ago when starting my engine swap and had the exact problem you did. One of the rear bolts was so loose, I took it out with my fingers (no allen wrench). It had been on for just less than 3,000 miles.

I think you are correct with it being an issue with using the stainless hardware. I'm disappointed to hear loctite did not help - that's what I was going to try.

Also, it may be the gaskets "settling" as already mentioned, but definetly not the torque method. I installed mine per the instructions and went back and double checked that they were all at 89lbs still.

I'll try teflon tape when I get mine reinstalled and let you guys know how it turned out. It's a trick I've learned works pretty well for threads that are on their way out - maybe it will do the same for the stainless issue.

Anyone with the Fast 92 should check their bolts ASAP
Old 04-01-2009, 11:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll buy all your non working fast units
Old 04-04-2009, 05:42 AM
TECH Regular

Still waiting on FAST's call back
Old 04-04-2009, 06:10 AM
10 Second Club

i didnt use the fast bolts, i just reused my stock intake bolts, never had any problems
Old 04-04-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Demonicbird00
i didnt use the fast bolts, i just reused my stock intake bolts, never had any problems
I thought the stock ones were to long for the FAST?
Old 04-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Teching In

dont worry about the tq wrench on this...if you need a tq wrench on a 6mm bolt and a piece of plastic, maybe you should let someone else do it. Tighten em down until it feels right.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wow-that's about the worse advise I've heard yet. Why don't you just thighten them in any order while you're at it...
Old 04-05-2009, 06:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by onslwcavi
dont worry about the tq wrench on this...if you need a tq wrench on a 6mm bolt and a piece of plastic, maybe you should let someone else do it. Tighten em down until it feels right.
You gotta be kidding me
Old 04-05-2009, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Question ???

Manifold material "shrinking" with heat cycling??
Stainless bolts, alum heads, plastic intake... All have different expansion rates...A problem source??
Same thread specs on the bolts as in the heads? [Someone mentioned stock bolts= no problems.]
Does the intake use stock gaskets? If so, are the gasket grooves the same depth as factory intake? Too shallow and you are trying to maintain bolt loading on a "sponge".

Back to huggin' my stock intake!
Old 04-05-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Manifold material "shrinking" with heat cycling??
Stainless bolts, alum heads, plastic intake... All have different expansion rates...A problem source??
Same thread specs on the bolts as in the heads? [Someone mentioned stock bolts= no problems.]
Does the intake use stock gaskets? If so, are the gasket grooves the same depth as factory intake? Too shallow and you are trying to maintain bolt loading on a "sponge".

Back to huggin' my stock intake!
Stock gaskets. Gasket grooves the same?
Old 04-05-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Another idea>>>
Replacement bolts are bottoming out???
I have a stock LQ4 intake, and an LS1 intake. I can depth check them. NE1 w/ a FAST check the depth on thiers, for comparison???
Old 04-06-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any updates on this? I have a 92 Fast intake going on next week and was just curious whats going on with this.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

I marked three of the bolts to watch for any movement. I'll let you know how that works out. Still waiting on a call back from FAST.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 99TransAmLS16Spd
Wow-that's about the worse advise I've heard yet.
Why? It seems the "proper" way of doing it with the torque wrench is not very successful. I put my intake on with new FAST gaskets a year ago. I checked the bolts due to this thread and found all the bolts nice and tight. I did NOT use a torque wrench on the initial install. Either I got lucky or I know something you don't. I only use torque wrenches on critical fasteners, ones that see high load like head bolts, wheel studs, axle/differential components, etc.

Quick Reply: Check Your FAST 92 Bolts?