Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who sells catch cans?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 05:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdsz
A 20 micron borosilicate coalescing filter removes virtually all the oil mist in low volume-low pressure applications without saturation issues.
if the brillo pads filter that i pulled out of my catch can are supposed to be 20 micron that is a joke...plus oil dripping on my heads after i take off the intake is proof enough to me that the can is not doing its job...

also i just used what media/parts we had on hand that filt this size...I will let you know the results after i have been driving for a month or so...
Old 04-20-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chrs1313
I am not sure if I understand your question, but yes everything is setup the same way and the filter is inside out flow…causing the oil to be filtered and pushed though the media…coalescing on the outside of the filter and dripping to the bottom…

Outside in flow would not work cause the oil would coalesce on the inside of the filter and have nowhere to drain…with this kind of setup outside in flow there needs to be a suction line on the I.D. of the element or a drain back flap will work too…
That's what I was asking. You would have to reverse the hoses for the oil to settle on the outside the way you have the extra media configured.

What you did was convert your catch can to an oil separator.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
That's what I was asking. You would have to reverse the hoses for the oil to settle on the outside the way you have the extra media configured.

What you did was convert your catch can to an oil separator.
you got it...but i would not have to reverse the flow the oil mist will push through the media and coalesce on the outside of the filter into droplets and then fall to the bottom of the can...even if oil did start to fill up in the inside of the catch can it will pass through the media at the bottom of the filter as it is not air tight seal...i can post some pictures when i get to work of larger elements that shows this coalescing action...usually we use a regenerative blower to over come the pressure drop of the element but in this cause we are using the motor as the vacuum source...

this is one type of filter we make for vacuum pumps that emit oil mist on the exhaust side of the pump...(note this is a static unit where pressure drop is not a concern so no vacuum source is needed)

http://www.solbergmfg.com/View_Datas..._number=EE_1-2

this is inside-out flow...notice the drain port on the outside of the element...so this is basically the same design as the catch can but right side up...

Last edited by chrs1313; 04-20-2009 at 08:46 PM.