Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil swap yields 9.25 HP and 18.6 TQ

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Petraszewsky
I have 2 complete sets of the Accell Coils coming...I wonder if I could call Megasquirt and send them a coil to test.....
I sent you an e-mail
Old 08-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

SUPER COILS FOR GM LS1 BASED ENGINES
IN TRUCK APPLICATIONS
These coils feature advanced bobbin technology, highly specialized silicone
magnetic steel cores, along with optimized winding, resistance and turns ratios to
delivery 10-15% more energy than the OEM coils. Specialized high temperature
epoxy resists shock and vibration, while increasing thermal conductivity.These
are direct plug in replacement coils for LS1 based engines in GM truck
applications.They feature bodies, brackets and towers molded in ACCEL yellow
and feature brass secondary contacts.
2006-1999 1/2 and 1 ton GM chassis with 6.0L Engine codes “N” and “U”
2006-2001 1/2 ton GM chassis with 5.3L Engine codes “T” and “Z”
2000-1999 1/2 and 3/4 ton GM chassis with 5.3L Engine codes “T”
2006-1999 1/2 and 3/4 ton GM chassis with 4.8L Engine codes “V”
* Be sure to check your stock coils on your truck or van to make sure they
physically match our new Super coils. GM offered several styles of LS1 coils that
are not all compatible with each other.
SUPER COILS FOR GM LS1 TRUCKS . . . . . . . . . .140040

I've got them in stock as well
Old 08-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a set of truck coils sitting around that came with my motor when I got if from the junk yard, prior to rebuild. I had purchased some LS2 coils and had been running them without problem.
I cleaned up and swapped the truck coils on today. Well I should say I got the first four running, odd side hooked up and running, no problem. Swapped the even side on and started the thing up without hooking up the spark plug wires, yeah, yeah!! Needless to say my initial impression was "Runs like ****, got me a skip" Hooked up the other 4 wires, yep ran "with a skip" on 4 cylinders, and ran about the same. Took her down to the liquor store to get me a bottle of wine!! No noticable performance gain.
I am running a carbed 6.0 with MSD 6012 box. After the coil swap I hooked the laptop up and saw there was a choice between LS2 coils and LS1 coils. I had it on LS2, so I switched it to LS1 coil. Wife and baby were sleeping so I couldn't fire her up. I'll keep advised of any difference.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the Accell coils in today and I'm a lil disappointed...Because the metal bracket isn't yellow as pictured but black and not just black but with (IMO) a stupid sticker on it..I peeled one of the stickers off the set I ordered for myself and the paint came off with it...So I'll just have to disassemble and paint them..But they do seem a bit sturdier and heavier than the stock D585s....
Attached Thumbnails Coil swap yields 9.25 HP and 18.6 TQ-img_3990.jpg  
Old 08-19-2009, 06:18 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmm, I might pull the brackets off mine and polish them up. Then use some stainless steel hardware to mount them.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:22 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

"But they do seem a bit sturdier and heavier than the stock D585s...."

Hey Petraszewsky,

Being that you have the AC Delco ones and the Accel ones in your hands, what's the differance? The Accels do weigh more? Is the spark socket metal any different? Can you meter them and see if there's a differance?

I NEED to be convinced that the Accel coils are not just painted stock GM coils. Other than they're saying (Accel) that they have 15% more output, they show no proof, charts, test data, voltages, etc.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

The body is larger and the contact is brass whereas the stockers are whatever...I'll try to see if I can do a personal test on them...My wife says the Accell ones are lighter so I dunno...If I actually had a nice scale then I could weigh them...The Accell ones apparently have a oil filled construction that allows them more thermal conductivity....
Old 08-20-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Well I got the multimeter out just now and had some interesting readings...Since I don't have a factory spec available for what setting to have the meter on I just put it on some similar to what I saw in the video...anyways the accell coils did something the stocker didn't...It gave off a reading on every prong...It would come down and spike really high..It was going so fast I couldn't get a reading...But the stockers only gave off a reading on one prong and it was .005 and it stayed there...And believe me I have a lot of stockers to test...haha..and they all gave off the same reading....I'll do some more testing tomorrow...
Old 08-21-2009, 12:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts

If someone will send me a kit, I will fab a bracket for perimeter bolt valve covers, and spring for the back to back dyno comparison. Anyone game?
Old 08-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We'll I've already got relocation brackets for them but if you want a kit we can certainly sell you one The relocation kits are 155 shipped and you have a few options to them
Old 08-21-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Any truck that was a 2500 or came with the 6.0 motor should have these coil packs. That includes silverados, denali's, gmc sierras, tahoes, yukons, escalades, etc.
My 2002 Silverado with 4.8L has them also, heat sinks and all. You guys have me thinking about popping hoods and swapping them with the ones on my car's LS1...
Old 08-22-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

I didn't get a chance to do another test on the coils because I was busy working on my project truck today..But I do have 8 Accell Coils for sale ( no bracket or harness)... $250 shipped...

And with all the sets of coils I'm selling why is no one posting their results?? Or leaving feedback...

Last edited by Petraszewsky; 08-23-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:41 AM
Staging Lane

Did you try the Accel coils 140040 ?

I just fitted a set to my LS1 and I now get an ignition fault in all 8 .
The LS1 computer couldn't control them at all.

No matter what I did I couldn't get them to work .

Took them off and fitted the black ACDelco D585 and they work perfectly .

What gives ???

I didn't get a chance to do another test on the coils because I was busy working on my project truck today..But I do have 8 Accell Coils for sale ( no bracket or harness)... $250 shipped...

And with all the sets of coils I'm selling why is no one posting their results?? Or leaving feedback...
Old 08-27-2009, 02:47 AM
Staging Lane

I should add I'm using harness # 12601824
Old 08-27-2009, 05:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default D585 coils

I seen a post on here over a year ago about the truck coils. The author did a test between each coil and when he tested the truck coil, it emitted the most spark = Volts n milliamps. I would not want to get zapped by one of those suckers ! Ouch.

The square LS2 coils are not shabby either.

I found a fellow Ls1 techer n grabbed a set last year. Stuffed them on my 454LS2 clone.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:54 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I left you feedback.... I just haven't had a chance to do much with my car this summer. Forget about back to back dyno tests, I'd be happy to get a single dyno test, much less back to back.

The car certainly drives better, and I need to get my tune nailed down as I currently have some bugs I'm working through. I did notice an increase in throttle response as well as fuel milage gain. I went from just over 14mpg to just over 16mpg on the same test loop with identical driving conditions. Not that 2mpg is a big deal, and really who worries about gas mileage with these cars, but it at least tells me the motor is running better.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:31 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

FWIW, I posted pics of my install, but have only driven the car about 10 blocks since. It is currently up on jackstands. I started a pulley and damper swap (Procharger) but have been too busy lately to get out to the garage and finish it up. Plus, none of the bolts that came from Procharger or ATI (damper) are long enough for keeping A/C, so I need to find time to go out and scrounge the right length bolts.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:59 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I can post pictures early next week as I'm leaving for vacation when I get home from work.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CHAMRA1
I just fitted a set to my LS1 and I now get an ignition fault in all 8 .The LS1 computer couldn't control them at all.No matter what I did I couldn't get them to work .Took them off and fitted the black ACDelco D585 and they work perfectly .What gives ???

I have no idea what could be wrong....The Accells are just more powerful than the stock D585s they shouldn't draw more power...I would do further testing if I was you...I haven't had a chance to actually use mine just testing on the multimeter..

To The Alchemist and TWS I wasn't referring to you guys. It's just that I have sold almost 20 sets of these coils because of this thread and no one is posting their opinions/dyno numbers from the swap. No big deal I should probably do my sniveling elsewhere anyways...haha

Last edited by Petraszewsky; 08-27-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

I have no idea what could be wrong....The Accells are just more powerful than the stock D585s they shouldn't draw more power...I would do further testing if I was you...I haven't had a chance to actually use mine just testing on the multimeter..

To The Alchemist and TWS I wasn't referring to you guys. It's just that I have sold almost 20 sets of these coils because of this thread and no one is posting their opinions/dyno numbers from the swap. No big deal I probably do my sniveling elsewhere anyways...haha
I was ready to bolt on a set and do a dyno test but someone sold all his sets to others!! lol

Quick Reply: Coil swap yields 9.25 HP and 18.6 TQ