Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil swap yields 9.25 HP and 18.6 TQ

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
I've been waiting for this question.

The LS1 coil brackets will not mount the truck coils.

The LS1 coil wiring harnesses will NOT work as the plugs and pin-outs on the coil end is different. The coil harness to engine harness plug is the same and the new harness will plug in directly.

The truck coil brackets are 10457736, 2 needed.
The LS2 wiring harnesses are 12601824, 2 needed.
The coils are 10457730 (AC D585), 8 needed.

GM/Chevy trucks had several different coils and brackets so be careful. These coils are the ones with the heat sink on the backside. Brackets from other coils will not fit.

On the the LS1 F-body cars, the A.I.R. piping will be in the way. On the passenger side, the fuel line and solonoid will be in the way. A little fanageling will be needed to get it in.

I had a set of LS7 spark plug wires laying around and they fit & look nicely.
We currently offer the coils at a lower price than the dealer and most distributors:
GM High Power Coil Near Plug Ignition Coil - IGNT-00172

We offer the coil pigtails / connectors themselves:
GM High Power Truck Ignition Coil Connectors and Pigtails

We offer a small adapter harness:
GM Delphi / Packard - Truck coil to LS1 coil adapter harness - CONN-85637

And the coil bank connectors:
GM Ignition Coil Bank Connectors and Pigtails

The question I have for the members here, is how much interest is there in seeing a bolt up kit with the coils on brackets with the connectors ready to go? We may start to build the sub harnesses which go from the coil bank connector to the coils and can have some custom brackets made but don't know how much demand there is.

If we see some strong demand here on the forum and or via pm's this is something we build to make it easier for those wanting to switch.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:27 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Considering most guys are going to pull these directly off a junkyard motor, your prices really aren't that competitive, at least until that supply runs out.

Originally Posted by Bmotorsports
We currently offer the coils at a lower price than the dealer and most distributors:
GM High Power Coil Near Plug Ignition Coil - IGNT-00172

We offer the coil pigtails / connectors themselves:
GM High Power Truck Ignition Coil Connectors and Pigtails

We offer a small adapter harness:
GM Delphi / Packard - Truck coil to LS1 coil adapter harness - CONN-85637

And the coil bank connectors:
GM Ignition Coil Bank Connectors and Pigtails

The question I have for the members here, is how much interest is there in seeing a bolt up kit with the coils on brackets with the connectors ready to go? We may start to build the sub harnesses which go from the coil bank connector to the coils and can have some custom brackets made but don't know how much demand there is.

If we see some strong demand here on the forum and or via pm's this is something we build to make it easier for those wanting to switch.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by foreverzero
Notice any power gains?
My Butt-O-Meter says Yes!

...but in reality I don't really know.

I havnt run it on the dyno since the coil upgrade. If my local shop is willing to do a pull for real cheap or nothing I'd do it.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Considering most guys are going to pull these directly off a junkyard motor, your prices really aren't that competitive, at least until that supply runs out.
Our prices on the coils as an example are highly competitive with any new product and the kit would come in at a lower price point than adding all the parts together from GM or another new parts source. However, you are correct in that our prices for new parts will not be competitive with junkyard parts. I suppose to clarify the question, we should ask the following instead: How much demand is there for a solid, easy to install kit with new parts (not junkyard parts)?
Old 08-03-2009, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

It'd be nice to see a few more dyno #'s to back up the OP's #s. I definitely think there would be a market for an easy to install kit. What kind of price are we looking at?
Old 08-03-2009, 09:38 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Johns00Z28
It'd be nice to see a few more dyno #'s to back up the OP's #s. I definitely think there would be a market for an easy to install kit. What kind of price are we looking at?

Putting my car on the dyno will not be a good experiment. Since it was last on the rollers, I have done a few mods, not just the coils. Hopefully someone else will be able to do before and after pulls with the only change being the coil swap.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TWS
Putting my car on the dyno will not be a good experiment. Since it was last on the rollers, I have done a few mods, not just the coils. Hopefully someone else will be able to do before and after pulls with the only change being the coil swap.
Yes that would be preferrable. What other mods have you done?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:22 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Johns00Z28
Yes that would be preferrable. What other mods have you done?

Kinda off topic for this thread, so my apologies to Paul (OP). I have a Procharger D1SC kit on the car and it dyno'd 479 with 8 psi pulley way back in 2003 at Force Fed Performance in Cali. I have since upgraded the intercoolers from the 3.5" thick to the 4.5" thick ones, installed the much bigger K&N cone filter that EPP recommends (the one that comes with the Procharger kit is small), and also put the better bypass valve on - the proflow black anodized one. On top of all this, I just did the coil swap... so I will be testing what this conglomerate group of mods has done.

I also have an 8 rib conversion with ATI damper that is going on. I was experiencing belt slip at higher RPM with the original 6 rib pullies. I ordered pulley sizes that should keep it at 8 psi.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TWS
Kinda off topic for this thread, so my apologies to Paul (OP). I have a Procharger D1SC kit on the car and it dyno'd 479 with 8 psi pulley way back in 2003 at Force Fed Performance in Cali. I have since upgraded the intercoolers from the 3.5" thick to the 4.5" thick ones, installed the much bigger K&N cone filter that EPP recommends (the one that comes with the Procharger kit is small), and also put the better bypass valve on - the proflow black anodized one. On top of all this, I just did the coil swap... so I will be testing what this conglomerate group of mods has done.

I also have an 8 rib conversion with ATI damper that is going on. I was experiencing belt slip at higher RPM with the original 6 rib pullies. I ordered pulley sizes that should keep it at 8 psi.
Not too far off topic...we all have varying levels of mods and I'm sure we'd all like to know that this swap will be beneficial no matter what our mods are.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

id be interested in a bolt on kit. Save me the time and gas of going to all the junk yard getting parts, then the bit of custom work to get the coils further down the valve cover, etc etc.

with dyno proven power gains a bolt on kit would be nice.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

I'd be interested in a bolt on kit as well.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Has anyone thought about calling TSP or email them about testing if this coil packs make anymore power than stock ones. Only reason i ask is because it always seems that TSP is dyno'ing some new cam, heads, or intake on there new dyno mule. Just food for thought.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Teching In

are 19005218 coils the same?that is the # on them.they have heat sinks on them.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Subscribing, might wanna try this out, was thinking of replacing my coils anyways...
Old 08-12-2009, 08:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good info
Old 08-13-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are the regular LS2 coils better than LS1 coils? You know the LS2 ones without the heat sinks? Thanks in advance.

-Mike
Old 08-13-2009, 08:01 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

"Are the regular LS2 coils better than LS1 coils?"

I doubt it. I think Megasquirt tested them and they're similar to the LS1 coils.

If you're gonna do the swap, go straight to the big heat-sinked coils.

We need somebody else to do an on-dyno test. If you have the new coils assembled on their brackets with the coil harness ready to go and the brackets in the car with like only one bolt attached to the valve covers, a quick change from one set to the other between pulls is easy.

(hows that for a run-on sentance!)
Old 08-13-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Which vehicle should i look for to pull this off of?
Old 08-13-2009, 09:24 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I would look for trucks and vans with 6.0 engines.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
I would look for trucks and vans with 6.0 engines.
What does the 6.0 look like? What trucks? Silverados, Denalis????

I want to get these coils

Quick Reply: Coil swap yields 9.25 HP and 18.6 TQ