Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil swap yields 9.25 HP and 18.6 TQ

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:45 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

The coil brackets would need to be slid down on the valve covers, towards the exhaust side and away from the intake side. Making the brackets/coils sit higher on the valve covers will only exasperate the fitment issues between the coils and the solenoid and fuel line.

The way I look at it, it’s easier to mod the fuel line and solenoid than moving the brackets around and will look better than having the coils on the drivers side mounted differently than on the passenger side.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:54 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
The coil brackets would need to be slid down on the valve covers, towards the exhaust side and away from the intake side. Making the brackets/coils sit higher on the valve covers will only exasperate the fitment issues between the coils and the solenoid and fuel line.

For some reason you misunderstood my post 180* out.

mount the truck coil bracket at the same height that the stock LS1 coil bracket mounts
space them down
From following this thread, I'm aware that the truck coils sit higher. I would rather experiment with some small spacers first and see how I like or don't like them. If I don't like 'em, I'll chop and bend the fuel inlet line and mess around with the fuel evap solenoid... but first I'd rather see if I can move them back down to LS1 coil height.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:02 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

OK sorry, I'm seeing what you're saying now. I think you'd have to mill down the bracket standoff bosses cast into the valve covers. Low enough, it might fit.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:48 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Here. Just did a quick Google image search and this is kinda what I'm talking about. I imagine they would only be about 1" long, with 2 holes in them. The top hole would go in the mounting boss on the valve cover and the bottom hole would go on the coil mounting bracket to lower it an inch or whatever the actual distance needs to be in order to get the truck coils at the "stock height" of the original LS1 coils.

Clear as mud now?

again, this is just a random image I quickly found, but I think it will convery the idea.
Attached Thumbnails Coil swap yields 9.25 HP and 18.6 TQ-tab.jpg  
Old 07-15-2009, 02:48 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Complete D585 coil pack kit just showed up, thanks to Petraszewsky.

I just spoke with my machinist friend and he is going to fab up 4 small tabs to allow me to try and mount the driver's side coil pack bracket a little lower (meaning: away from the intake manifold and towards the headers) and try to avoid interference from the fuel inlet line and the solenoid.

If Paul doesn't mind, I'll post results in this thread to keep the discussion all in one place.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey Alchemist !!!! Any results yet on the gas mileage question? Data logged anything yet ??
Old 07-15-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I just got and installed my set of these coils!

In my case this was an easy install since:
- AIR was removed long ago,
- I have a FAST intake which included:
Aftermarket fuel rails,
The evap solenoid was already re-located
- All 8 spark plug wires reached without a problem to the raised coil/bracket.

The drivers side was super easy, lots of room to work.
The passangers was a tighter fit, but still, easy to do,
not to mention I can now work on #6 and #8 plugs and wires without killing myself. That alone is worth the swap.

I havnt re-dynoed the car and dont plan to, so I cant say what/if any gains I got from it.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:05 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

What, me mind?? Absolutely not! I would certainly hope anything pertaining to this coil swap gets posted in this thread to maintain some continuity and to also keep the thread fresh and to the top.

TWS, if this mounting idea of yours pans out, post up some pics and it’ll offer another mounting option to folks thinking of doing the swap
Old 07-16-2009, 07:26 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Hey Alchemist !!!! Any results yet on the gas mileage question? Data logged anything yet ??
Nothing official yet. I just got home from spending 4 days in the hospital trying to pass a kidney stone that ended up getting lodged right before my bladder, so it had to be 'extracted' via a laser and a scope. Talk about pain, I was getting morphine every 2 hours and percocet every 4 hours and it did nothing. They say passing a stone is like labor, well I was in labor for 72 hours before they decided to remove it surgically. My kidneys feel like Brock Lesnar had a field day with them.

Anyways, back to the car. I drove it to work and back for 4 days last week, and started this with 100 miles on the current tank of gas. I usually get roughly 210-220 miles per fill-up which works out to ~15 mpg, which is about right for city/stop-go driving that I do. I get 27mpg in my 9-3 for reference.

Well, I'm at 196 miles and still have a third of a tank left. So I'm guessing I'll need to fillup around 230-240miles, which is a nice gain. I still have the stock dwell times in there, so that's my next plan, which is to swap over to the slightly longer dwell time of the trucks on my next fill up.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Glad to hear that you are out of the hospital.

Thanks for the update considering everything you've been through. Sounds like you've gained over 20 miles per tank roughly. That is a nice gain. Do you think that the increase in dwell time will help even more ? If so it may be worth it to do this little simple mod for an extra 40 miles per tank when its all said and done. Thats 5$ per tank saved or more depending on the cost of fuel. The mod will pay for itself pretty quickly. Didn't you mention better throttle response too?
Old 07-16-2009, 08:39 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the well wishes Doug. Kidney stones are no joke, that's for sure.

Throttle response is certainly better. Mid throttle, mid range is better, how much, I don't know.

For the price I paid to Petraszewsky, I couldn't complain if I didn't gain anything at all other than easier access to the plugs.

I know I'm happy.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So when i go to the 'pull and save' junkyard this weekend I need to look for these vehicles:

02-05 Escalade, Tahoe, Yukon, Avalanche, tuck with 6.0

Thanks guys, just don't want to get the wrong ones....
Old 07-16-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Alchemist, sending you a pm.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:20 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Paul Bell

TWS, if this mounting idea of yours pans out, post up some pics and it’ll offer another mounting option to folks thinking of doing the swap
Will do!

I don't have the relocation tabs fabbed yet, so I just mounted the passenger side last night. The large bundle of wiring harness that comes off the PCM put up a bit of a fight, and I also still have A.I.R. on the car so I had a few more steps to take than some members, but it was still a very straightforward swap.

I can confirm that MSD LS1 plug wires are long enough... a little tight, but long enough.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:23 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 4U2NV-SS
So when i go to the 'pull and save' junkyard this weekend I need to look for these vehicles:

02-05 Escalade, Tahoe, Yukon, Avalanche, tuck with 6.0

Thanks guys, just don't want to get the wrong ones....
It's actually very simple. Look at the pics of the D585 coils in this thread.

They will be the only AC Delco LSX coils that have their own heat sink.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

now the question is will i benfit anyhting on my car? My car has the stock coil packs with NGK TR6 plugs and MSD wires (48K on them) and i am cammed i would like to get more power
Old 07-16-2009, 01:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
now the question is will i benfit anyhting on my car? My car has the stock coil packs with NGK TR6 plugs and MSD wires (48K on them) and i am cammed i would like to get more power
gets some heads then...and you dont need any more power, the carpet under that gas pedal is still brand new...
Old 07-16-2009, 01:42 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

"will i benfit anyhting on my car?"

Looking at what the other guys who've done the swap posted, you'l at least get better throttle response and a smoother running engine. Perhaps some better fuel economy.

As shown by better throttle resopnse and better fuel usage, it would appear that doing the swap improves the OVERALL PERFORMANCE of the engine.

It's also been shown (by me) that there is some power gains to be had vs. the stock coils.

I would say it's a worthwhile investment in the parts and time to do the install.

4U2NV-SS, the vehicles you've listed may have different coils. Make sure it's the correct one! Like TWS said, it's the only OEM ignition coil with the external heat sink like this:
Old 07-16-2009, 05:50 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Here's a couple shots most of the way through the install of the passenger side coils packs last night. As I noted above, the large loom full of wires was a small pain and I also had to remove the A.I.R. pipe coming off the header, which many members no longer have.

This second pic really allows you to contrast the newly mounted D585 truck coils with the stockers that are still on the driver's side.

I'll post up pics when I tackle the driver's side. First I have to wait on fabbing some "relocation tabs" to play with to see if I can effectively mount the truck coil bracket low enough so that I don't have to bend the fuel inlet line to the rails or move the evap solenoid.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrs1313
gets some heads then...and you dont need any more power, the carpet under that gas pedal is still brand new...
Chris speaking of carpet.. Where did Rob get his lightweight BLACK carpet??

Quick Reply: Coil swap yields 9.25 HP and 18.6 TQ