Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil swap yields 9.25 HP and 18.6 TQ

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:16 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe not the "hard data" point that people are looking for, but I was just rereading a back issue of GMHTP. November 2006 to be exact. When Wheel2Wheel built RooferDave's 7 second turbo Camaro, they swapped in these truck coils in place of the stockers.

Wheel2Wheel certainly knows their stuff, and if they thought it was worthwhile then I think that says something.

Anyway, they are on my Procharged 2002 Z28 now. Unless I go and re-dyno and bring the stockers with me to swap between pulls, I won't be able to provide before and after power numbers. I have changed a handfull of things since the car was last on the dyno a long time ago, so just going and doing some pulls with the truck coils won't tell me if a gain is solely due to them. I'd have to bring the stockers with me and swap between pulls and I won't likely go through the trouble. For what I paid for them, I'm just glad I have a hotter set of coils on there.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TWS
Maybe not the "hard data" point that people are looking for, but I was just rereading a back issue of GMHTP. November 2006 to be exact. When Wheel2Wheel built RooferDave's 7 second turbo Camaro, they swapped in these truck coils in place of the stockers.

Wheel2Wheel certainly knows their stuff, and if they thought it was worthwhile then I think that says something.

Anyway, they are on my Procharged 2002 Z28 now. Unless I go and re-dyno and bring the stockers with me to swap between pulls, I won't be able to provide before and after power numbers. I have changed a handfull of things since the car was last on the dyno a long time ago, so just going and doing some pulls with the truck coils won't tell me if a gain is solely due to them. I'd have to bring the stockers with me and swap between pulls and I won't likely go through the trouble. For what I paid for them, I'm just glad I have a hotter set of coils on there.
come on do it! ill paypal you a dollar and im sure some other guys would too you might make some money if you get enough people interested lol

or just to better the ls1tech community, i can pull coils in like 5 mins. you wouldnt even have to bolt them down.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:41 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrob56
come on do it! ill paypal you a dollar and im sure some other guys would too you might make some money if you get enough people interested lol

or just to better the ls1tech community, i can pull coils in like 5 mins. you wouldnt even have to bolt them down.
I should have left the last paragraph off and not opened myself up to this. I thought the Wheel2Wheel comment would carry some weight by itself.

I use the last bolt on the driver's side, the one that goes through the bracket that is split and slides between the back of the cylinder head and the head of that bolt all the way back there. It's a bitch. Have to do it by feel, and besides, I'm lazy. If you saw my earlier posts in this thread, I made spacer tabs for the driver's side so that I wouldn't have to bend the fuel inlet line or relocate the evap solenoid. Therefore, I use just the front and back coil bracket bolts on that side.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:44 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I’ve noticed that a few guys in this thread have mentioned that my comparison was done with "old" LS1 coils.

I’d like to say that I don’t believe coils "wear out" or get weaker with time and/or use. They may go bad and stop working altogether but I’ll say they either work or they don’t, there’s no in between. It’s an electrical component with no moving parts, nothing to wear out resulting in reduced performance.

I do know that when coils are made (no doubt by a GM vender, Mitsubishi, Delphi, etc.) every one is tested with a go/no go result. Units that result with out of spec results are tossed or considered "seconds" and ones that result within spec is send on to be used. On the Rock Auto website, you can choose expensive fully warrantied coils or "wholesale closeout" with a 30 day warranty at half the cost. Hmmm, is this one of those seconds?

I think that many of the coils cheaply sold on ebay are these "seconds" that were out of spec. I had one ebay LS2 coil where the plastic casing was twisted.

I don’t think it’s fair to say "well he did the test with old coils so of course the new coils will be better".
Old 09-23-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

^^^I agree....does a amplifier lose performance over time??? No so why would the coils???
Old 09-24-2009, 07:57 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

My experience with coils is that they either work or they don't. No inbetween.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:16 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Petraszewsky
^^^I agree....does a amplifier lose performance over time??? No so why would the coils???
All depends on who built the amp. I've had some stay strong for ever and some get weaker and then fail.
You think circuitry or electronics never get compromised? Heat is a killer of electric components as well as moisture in the air. Corrosion happens.

I also know that 2-10 hp on a dyno can be just the dyno or the air quality and really does not prove a thing.

Spark plugs, cracked wire, corroded coil connection.. all reasons for good results when they are fixed.

TSP's engine dyno would be a good platform for testing. Unless you doing back to back tests under the exact same conditions .. results don't mean a thing.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've been running the D585 coils over my stock GM (2002 model) for 2 months now. I have not changed the tune nor re-dyno tested it, but all feels good and powerful.

Unfortunetly tho, I have seen a DROP in my gas milage!

I used to get 225 miles to the tank (15.5 miles/gallon). With the only change being the D585 coils, its down to under 200 miles a tank, last fill up was low at 175 miles. About 12-13 miles to the gallon now.

Thats 2-3 miles less per gallon. I've only used 93 octane since day one when I bought the car new.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

Very interesting thread. I wouldn't mind making the swap. The general consensus seems to be that there IS a difference in performance. I would like to see back to back data. If I didn't have to allocate funds to build my powerglide I would do the comparison for everybody, but I am having major hydraulic issues with my bolt on car with stock manifolds and stock cats, so adding more power is only going to impair me more.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

Hey Guys,

This is one of the greatest "Coil" threads ever.

I'm sure glad I decided to research before buying a set of MSD's.

Stock LS1 coils or D585 coils seem to make the most sense.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

hey guys my work truck has a 4.8 in it with these coils...im thinking one weekend swaping the coils over to my car and putting mine on the 4.8...can anyone say freemod lol
Old 09-29-2009, 12:32 AM
Banned

I know someone who has a limited supply of these coil pack/wiring/bracket assemblys,brand new never used for $225.BRAND NEW!!!!Not high mileage junk yard take off's for $200.....

And yes these are the coil packs with the heat sinks just like pictured in this thread.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jerflash
hey guys my work truck has a 4.8 in it with these coils...im thinking one weekend swaping the coils over to my car and putting mine on the 4.8...can anyone say freemod lol
That's gives me an idea. I can rent the cheapest GM truck, suv or van product I can find and do a coil pack swap. LOL

Originally Posted by broke1
I know someone who has a limited supply of these coil pack/wiring/bracket assemblys,brand new never used for $225.BRAND NEW!!!!Not high mileage junk yard take off's for $200.....

And yes these are the coil packs with the heat sinks just like pictured in this thread.
Who might this be ?

Old 09-29-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bearcatt
That's gives me an idea. I can rent the cheapest GM truck, suv or van product I can find and do a coil pack swap. LOL
I say got for it!!!!
Old 09-29-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Petraszewsky
I say got for it!!!!

It was just a joke, I would never really do it.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

how do these compare to the msd's??
Old 09-29-2009, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

hey dude you could rent a truck for 50 bucks or less..i say go for it...the truck would run the same and noone would ever know lol
Old 09-29-2009, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jerflash
hey dude you could rent a truck for 50 bucks or less..i say go for it...the truck would run the same and noone would ever know lol
Hahaha! I would have to check under the hood of what I rent to make sure it has the good D585 coils.

Originally Posted by GatorFan08
how do these compare to the msd's??
I haven't experienced the MSD personally, however I've read and heard not-so-good things about MSD. That's to bad because I know where to get a clean low mileage set for $350 on the classifieds here. The Delphi D585 truck coils are the best bang for the buck. The only problem would be modifications to get them to fit nicely. If you don't have all the emissions crap in the way like I do, you can go with a nice relocation kit.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bearcatt
Hahaha! I would have to check under the hood of what I rent to make sure it has the good D585 coils.

mine is a 2008 2500 savana with a 4.8 and i have them
Old 09-29-2009, 10:10 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I've noticed that the Savana/Express van and chassis/cab usually have them.

Quick Reply: Coil swap yields 9.25 HP and 18.6 TQ