Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new edelbrock ls1 intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by FAST LS1
Yep, if they would have made it look like this single plane intake for a ford:

We might have seen a lot more intrest.
There is an LS1 carb intake coming that's nicer than the one pictured and way nicer than the Edelbrock. It's a single plane. Should be out sometime next year.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard Super-Ram was coming out with a carb intake too.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Slammed'99
"I'm thinking of Hilborn, Weber, and Offenhauser, that were way before Vic Edelbrock had his thing going. The Germans had fuel injection as far back as the late 1920's."

There were all MECHANICAL fuel injection! Just a little bit of difference there, and I'm saying that sarcatically!
You just figured that one out, genius! You stated "aftermarket fuel injection," and I answered that. You didn't say wether EFI or mechanical. Bosch were the first ones to develop EFI. It's all really irrelevant anyway, and this post has gone absolutely nowhere. The post was for the acknowledgement of a new product on the market,and intelligent conversation about it, not as a way for "tard-***" draggers to get their panties in a wad and start attacking others because they have a differing opinion than what they believe works.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

I clearly stated the Edelbrock "Pro-Flow" system. Which is EFI! How much more clear do I have to make it!

I also clearly stated that Edelbrock was ONE of the first company's to create a complete aftermarket fuel injection system. NOT THE FIRST ONE!

If you don't like the idea of a carb on your engine. Well you're in luck! Because no one is making you buy this thing.

Some people just need to keep their two cents to themselves in this post, because they obviously don't know sheet!
Old 11-14-2003, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone explain to me how a carb can produce more power than a EFI system if it is tuned right? I really don't know since fuel injection gives you more control over everything. What makes the extra power with a carb when both fuel injection and carb are tuned correctly?

Chris - confused
Old 11-14-2003, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

sawedoff - I just got a good laugh at the NASCAR comment and really can't believe you have 448 posts on this site, with that kind of objective attitude.

Lets not forget, one of our biggest restrictions is our LS1 intake design, although the LS6 works well, there is still plenty of room for improvement, hopefully the FAST intake will flow well enough for these large stroker h/c cars.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by ss427ci
sawedoff - I just got a good laugh at the NASCAR comment and really can't believe you have 448 posts on this site, with that kind of objective attitude.

Lets not forget, one of our biggest restrictions is our LS1 intake design, although the LS6 works well, there is still plenty of room for improvement, hopefully the FAST intake will flow well enough for these large stroker h/c cars.
Well, we have the pot calling the kettle black in this instance. There are quite a number of LS1's with 1000hp twin turbo setups that are using LS6 and stock LS1 intakes. It seems pretty good there. I think you need to know what the hell it is that you are talking about before you start cracking off with the arrogant comments towards others. You are a newbie with the 37 posts. What do you have to back up the arrogant attitude that you've shown towards me besides a crumpled racing magazine and cable bill so that you can watch TNN. You haven't, like a said, put any substance to your post whoring. How is that you feel the modern EFI setup is inadequate for racing, and what do you base that on?

Last edited by sawedoff; 11-14-2003 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:53 PM
wrencher

Nascar wont use EFI for lots of reasons, + they are anti on board computer.

But at 9000 rpm a "wet" manifold does have advantages.

If your looking for EFI in stock cars where do you think the ASA is running.....
Old 11-14-2003, 11:38 PM
Launching!

dont hang me out to dry on this one here, as i prefer fuel injection, but in most applications a carbureted intake will make more power as the runners have to be designs because they flow fuel, so it is a more direct, and smoother flow, this is why most of the top efi drag racers use a carbureted intake with injectors in the "nitrous bosses". One other advantage of a carburetor over fuel injection is cold fuel into the intake sooner equals lower intake temps, but you can almost make up for the higher temp with the fact that most people can get there fuel injection set up almost perfectly, you can tune each cylinder, an advantage that you cant get with a carb anyways, these are basics, not trying to create the great debate, just some points i wanted to throw out there, and like i said, i would take fuel injection over a carb anyday

Last edited by 88ls1blazer; 11-15-2003 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

Chris, for some info on why a carb WILL produce more power then EFI. Here is a good read.

http://www.pro-system.com/scoop92102.html

Sawedoff, I think ss427ci is refering to a naturally aspirated engine, \when the engine has to draw the air in by itself, with no help from a turbo or supercharger. The reason an LS1/6 intake can produce so much hp with forced induction set up is just that, the air is being FORCED through the intake.

Or you could think of it this way. Imagine if you had to run a marathon just breathing through a drinking straw, it's be pretty tough. But if you had a an air tank with compressed air blowing air directly into that staw, you could alot easier. Right?
Old 11-15-2003, 08:57 PM
wrencher

Chris, for some info on why a carb WILL produce more power then EFI. Here is a good read.

http://www.pro-system.com/scoop92102.html

Sawedoff, I think ss427ci is refering to a naturally aspirated engine, \when the engine has to draw the air in by itself, with no help from a turbo or supercharger. The reason an LS1/6 intake can produce so much hp with forced induction set up is just that, the air is being FORCED through the intake.

Or you could think of it this way. Imagine if you had to run a marathon just breathing through a drinking straw, it's be pretty tough. But if you had a an air tank with compressed air blowing air directly into that staw, you could alot easier. Right?
Great info in that link!

I always though of each barrel/venturi of a carb as a mechanical mass air flow meter that adds fuel.

They are great for max power, but EFI will always have better drivabillity.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:52 AM
TECH Addict

sounds pretty trick
Old 12-10-2003, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FAST LS1
Yep, if they would have made it look like this single plane intake for a ford:

We might have seen a lot more intrest.

GMPP showed just such a manifold last week at PRI show. Outer runners were about 7 inches long and inners about 4-1/4 or so. Try this for pics.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120327]

Last edited by Old SStroker; 12-10-2003 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Anyone have an idea on what the cost of this set up will be? I search Summit and Jegs, but neither have it in their online catalog yet.

This will by far be the cheapest way to go all aluminum V8.
Summit lists the RPM LS1 intake/MSD timing computer package as $699.00. Available Dec. 9/04 according to their website. Considering this greatly simplifies installing an LS1 into an older car I have to admit I've been eyeballing some 6.0 liter truck engines down at the core yard as of late. My thinking is running an LQ9 with ported heads, the RPM intake, HP950 carb and something like the T-Rex cam and a plate nitrous system. The truck long blocks are getting super cheap at the core yards. I was going to put another 400 small block into my '77 Z over the winter, but now I'm seriously considering swapping in a carbed LQ9.

Old 11-06-2004, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have already seen a test of a carb intake on a LS1. It made 1 morehp than the EFI setup. Usually carbs make more power but not with the LS1. I guess thats why the aftermarket doesnt seem to be able to make HUGE gains over stock LS1 components.

The intake I saw was made by GM if Im not istaken. It would be a great idea for racing if you just wanted a low tech, easy way to build a race motor. No tuning except jetting and timing adjustments.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Teching In

That's what I was thinking, just a way for the older cars to get an LS series engine on the cheap. For those already with an LS engine and EFI I wouldn't swap it out to a carb, but for an older vehicle it gets us in the ballgame.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:05 PM
TECH Regular

For those of you that think that this is a good idea I have news for you. Here is my example. 1987 mustang converted to mass air with a 347 afr 185 heads gt40 intake, etc. The car went 7.22 in the 1/8. Switched to victor jr, speed demon 750 carb, and msd distributor The best the car ran n/a was a 7.65. I had people that were good with cards helping me on this and one of them has now switched his 85 stang to fuel injection. I know that this is compairing apples to oranges as far as cars but imo the ls1 computer is far superior for engine control. Other than looking more like a race car I don't see the need to go back to 70's technology to make our cars slower. Just my .02 worth.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by exstanger
For those of you that think that this is a good idea I have news for you. Here is my example. 1987 mustang converted to mass air with a 347 afr 185 heads gt40 intake, etc. The car went 7.22 in the 1/8. Switched to victor jr, speed demon 750 carb, and msd distributor The best the car ran n/a was a 7.65. I had people that were good with cards helping me on this and one of them has now switched his 85 stang to fuel injection. I know that this is compairing apples to oranges as far as cars but imo the ls1 computer is far superior for engine control. Other than looking more like a race car I don't see the need to go back to 70's technology to make our cars slower. Just my .02 worth.

I seen that on a buddies 5.0 went from 13.80's @ 100 to
12.80's @ 106
yea, i know the math doesn't add up. i worked on the car, seen it race, raced it on the street. it's for real..
only change. box stock edelbrock performer w/ 650 dp to a box stock cobra intake w/ 65mm tb & 73 c&l
mid range increase was amazing.....
Old 11-09-2004, 12:55 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tin Indian
"Used in 1996 and later Corvettes"

"1997-02 Camaros and Firebirds"

They could do there homework a little better than that.
Trust me when I say this Mr. Proof reader...they did do their homework and more. There are obviously a lot of guys on this post that are anti carburetor and I can certainly see your point. However, this manifold was obviously not designed for you. In fact, with a street price of under $700.00 a student of the the old school can now drop an LS1 into their favorite hot rod without the worries of the electronics. This just solidifies the LS1's place in the market as the power plant of choice. I commend Edelbrock for doing this and making this conversion achievable for most shade tree mechanics. Besides, this dual plane equaled the HP of the EFI manifold and made more torque at the same time. Did I mention that Edelbrock had a single plane offering for both carbureted and EFI set-ups at SEMA? Now where were we on the homework?
Old 11-09-2004, 01:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

This post gets more irritating the more I read it. Let's clear the air. The Edelbrock carbureted intake for LS1's was designed for two reasons. 1.) It has been requested time and time again at various venues nationwide for the past two years. 2.) It gives consumers an option for a LS1 install into anything they want. Unless you have a complete production line engine assembly with the factory harness, cpu and all of the sensors, the EFI retrofit is not as simple as you think. Consider the pass-vats system, proper tuning of the pcm to eliminate the emissions, or try to install the emissions without firing off more codes than John Kerry does BS. Factor in the 4L60E or a M6 with a pull style clutch and you are in for a big buck transplant.

This set-up is clean. It includes the manifold, a harness that works with the factory coils, cam sensor and crank sensor and it comes with a new MAP sensor for the manifold. You will also receive the ignition box, complete with six different timing curves for various cam grinds, and a throttle bracket for your throttle and TV cable. From there the customer only needs the proper motor mounts and accessory brackets. For those wishing to run a TH350 or TH400, a new flexplate, along with a crankshaft adapter sleeve will properly align the torque converter with the input shaft of the transmission. Clean, simple and cost effective. Just as I said on a reply above, this product should be embraced as it will further solidify the LS1's place in the market. The deaper the roots the LS1 has in the market, the more products companies like Edelbrock will bring to the market.

Quick Reply: new edelbrock ls1 intake