Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which is Worse for Exhaust Flow?
Gutted Cats
14.29%
Straight Pipe Through Cats
85.71%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Gutted Cats/Straight Pipe Through Cats..Which is Worse for Flow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gutted Cats/Straight Pipe Through Cats..Which is Worse for Flow?

Hey everyone, My high flow cats that came with my Kook's Headers are starting to break down on my CTS-V. I have to leave the cats on there for visual inspection for emissions but I want to either gut them or run a straight pipe through them but I don't want to lose any power. Which would be worse for the flow of the exhaust (and why)?

Last edited by SkullV; 05-28-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Gutted cats wont do anything for performance , plus they'll cause you to fail... the only reason folks run the pipe through is because that improves the horrible gutted cat sound. Running no cats will always flow better.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not worried about passing a sniffer..its an OBD II inspection...just a visual inspection
Old 05-28-2009, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

I used to have a 2007 Mustang GT, Kooks used my car to design the H-pipe they now sell for the S-197's. I don't know about your car, but I know with mine the midpipe was designed as a "modular" piece, and you could just remove the two front pipes with the cats and swap in the two off-road pipes in their place. If you can, I'd just do that, and then get MIL eliminators for your car. At that point, as long as your car will pass the OBD-II inspection, you might just have to find a "friendly" inspection shop, or tip the guy $20 to overlook the missing cats.

Don't gut the high-flow cats. It's a PITA, a waste of money, it'll sound like crap... If you have your heart set on having cats though, just call up Kooks and order new ones, you shouldn't need a whole new midpipe.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00SS6spd
I used to have a 2007 Mustang GT, Kooks used my car to design the H-pipe they now sell for the S-197's. I don't know about your car, but I know with mine the midpipe was designed as a "modular" piece, and you could just remove the two front pipes with the cats and swap in the two off-road pipes in their place. If you can, I'd just do that, and then get MIL eliminators for your car. At that point, as long as your car will pass the OBD-II inspection, you might just have to find a "friendly" inspection shop, or tip the guy $20 to overlook the missing cats.

Don't gut the high-flow cats. It's a PITA, a waste of money, it'll sound like crap... If you have your heart set on having cats though, just call up Kooks and order new ones, you shouldn't need a whole new midpipe.
I dont care about the cats, I just want to get the gutting done so there is no crap rattling around in my exhaust. I have HPtuners and the post-cat o2s are already tuned out. I dont mind taking the time to gut the cats, I just want to know which will flow better. Gutted cats, or cats with straight pipes through them.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see what you mean. Thats a good question. I would imagine a straight pipe through would be a smoother, more direct flow.

I gutted cats on a LT1 Impala SS and it was loud as hell.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gutted cats are worse because they create a large low pressure zone in the hollowed cat (since it has so much more volume to fill) which slows the velocity of incoming gasses. At least thats what my advanced diagnostics instructor told me, and it makes perfect sense.

But honestly if you own a CTS-V and have the cash for Kooks - I say get replacement cats.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:34 AM
10 Second Club

Put pipes in the cats, used to do the same thing with the LT1 fbody cats. Sounded better, never tested for performance difference.

Quick Reply: Gutted Cats/Straight Pipe Through Cats..Which is Worse for Flow?