Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAP Sensor fits loosly in FAST intake, cause of Vacuum leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MAP Sensor fits loosly in FAST intake, cause of Vacuum leak?

the car is popping and the idle is eradic and the only big change is the intake. the MAP sensor fits loosely and i believe its the source of the leak. what do you think? also, how do i fix it? wrap it in teflon tape? better weather tight seal?
Old 05-29-2009, 08:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
what do you think? also, how do i fix it? wrap it in teflon tape? better weather tight seal?
May not be the reason for your issues, but here's how I fixed mine.

Basically built something out of parts from Menards and Home Deopt.

You'll have to get creative because I can't think of the exact parts those were.
I THINK that's a 6mm bolt though. If you want to try something like this take one of the hex nuts into a hardware store and fit the thread, then pick the length that fits and fab the rest.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

I put a **** load of RTV on the sensor and stuck it in place then connected the harness. Let it set overnight and no problems so far.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy a fitting and use a short tube to connect the MAP sensor to the fitting which is then connected to the manifold....thats what my tuner did for me and never had any problems...
Old 05-29-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so are you guys saying that the FAST manifold is the reason for the problem? Boy, you'd think for the amount of money people spend on these, this kinda fitment problem wouldn't happen...
Old 05-29-2009, 11:55 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
so are you guys saying that the FAST manifold is the reason for the problem? Boy, you'd think for the amount of money people spend on these, this kinda fitment problem wouldn't happen...
Agreed. FAST intakes have some fitment issues they shouldn't have for being an $800 intake.

The fix for the MAP is easy and cheap however. Go get yourself some fuel line (can't remember the size, 7/16 maybe?) and trim it to fit on the nipple of the MAP sensor (pull the old orange seal off of course). The fuel hose will be much fatter, and sit snug in the hole creating a better seal. This is what I do on all FAST intake installs and it works perfectly. Never had a vacuum leak problem, and I've actually fixed a few MAP leaks doing this as well on other intakes that weren't installed by me.

Good luck
Old 05-30-2009, 02:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Damian
Agreed. FAST intakes have some fitment issues they shouldn't have for being an $800 intake.

The fix for the MAP is easy and cheap however. Go get yourself some fuel line (can't remember the size, 7/16 maybe?) and trim it to fit on the nipple of the MAP sensor (pull the old orange seal off of course). The fuel hose will be much fatter, and sit snug in the hole creating a better seal. This is what I do on all FAST intake installs and it works perfectly. Never had a vacuum leak problem, and I've actually fixed a few MAP leaks doing this as well on other intakes that weren't installed by me.

Good luck
how do u keep it from coming out?
Old 05-30-2009, 07:14 AM
On The Tree

Get a 1/4 pipe thread to 1/4 nipple and tap the hole to 1/4 npt no drilling required! Put the plug/nipple in the hole with rtv and use a 1/4 hose to connect to the map sensor( You must renove the orange rubber piece from the sensor) I have done this to two cars and it works great!

Quick Reply: MAP Sensor fits loosly in FAST intake, cause of Vacuum leak?