Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running a straight-pipe through a cat so the man.....................................

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 09:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running a straight-pipe through a cat so the man.....................................

the coppers can't tell its fake.

Does it work?
Old 11-07-2003, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

doesnt seem like it'd be much different from gutting them.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BlackTA
doesnt seem like it'd be much different from gutting them.
I didn't know I could just gut them out. How do I do that?

The cat being a little thicker than my pipes (bulged out) won't disturb the flow of exhaust?
Old 11-07-2003, 10:03 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickin
I didn't know I could just gut them out. How do I do that?

The cat being a little thicker than my pipes (bulged out) won't disturb the flow of exhaust?
i still cant believe you have such a bad *** setup and are still running cats

you can gut the cats with a crow bar or other similar type bar. there was a thread somewhere, either here or ls1 where someone ran straight pipes and cut a cat in half (top and bottom) and welded them around the pipes the cat "look" like you suggested. had pics too.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Hmmmm, that seems like the way to go. They would have to lift the car or feel around the cat with there hands to tell if they're fake.

I'll see tomorrow if the shop thats going to remove them can cut them, if so I'll just do that idea.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To answer your first question. Yes they can tell. Depending were you live but basicaly all they have to do, and they being the cops or the person inspecting the car, is shoot the converter with a temp gun. If it is not extremly hotter then the exhaust pipe, then they know something is up with it. When it works, it gets hotter then the exhaust pipe. So yes, they can tell. But ofcourse, not all officers now this, so I would bet you would get away with it on the road. But the man that does the inspection will probly know this, and may check for it. Just go to someone you trust and know. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:02 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Hmmmm, that seems like the way to go. They would have to lift the car or feel around the cat with there hands to tell if they're fake.
Might be a little hot to do that!
Old 11-08-2003, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thought you guys in Fla did not have smog tests. If so, why would a Cop be checking your exhaust?
For a meager 5-8hp, I would not remove the Cats anyway.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by highgear
Thought you guys in Fla did not have smog tests. If so, why would a Cop be checking your exhaust?
We're still supposed to have cats though. As far as I know anyway
Old 11-08-2003, 10:47 PM
TECH Veteran

I was told with my upgraded cam (242/242 .610/.610 114 lsa is my current cam, my new one will be a 248/248 113 lsa) and the fact that I'm sending my heads out to get re-ported (because they're probably not ported to the hilt like they should be, 325-330 cfm) and since I have 436 ci, that I should pick up 15-20 RWHP with no cats.

Thats a little more info for you, do you think 15-20 RWHP is accurate?
Old 11-08-2003, 10:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by z98
Might be a little hot to do that!
Yeah, I meant that they wouldn't be feeling around under there.

I could see the Trooper raching under and then screaming bloody mary, then saying, "yup, he has fake cats, write'em up partner".
Old 11-08-2003, 10:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
But the man that does the inspection will probly know this, and may check for it. Just go to someone you trust and know. Good luck.
What do you mean by that. Go to someone I trust????
Old 11-08-2003, 10:52 PM
TECH Veteran

They don't but its still a violation of a Federal law to remove cats from any car that came with them from the factory.
Every shop I called told me they wouldn't do it. one of the shops told me its a $25,000 fine if a shop (licensed business) gets caught doing it. I have a friend that works at a muffler shop and he's gonna do it for me.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:32 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,272 Posts

LOL, honestly, you are way too concerned about cops & cats. Cops could care less. I have been pulled over with my loud, lopey, catless car that smells bad enough to make your eyes water and the cops don't even mention the exhaust.

It's the emissions dept you have to find a way around And that's not hard to do at all

But since you don't even have testing, don't worry.

PS. Just in case you didn't know, you are already in violation of federal law because you have relocated your cats when you put the LT headers on. So what's the difference? Pull 'em off if you want.

I haven't had cats on any of my performance cars since some time in 1996. NO PROBLEMS after MANY traffic stops. LOL, go on, live on the edge!!!
Old 11-09-2003, 12:58 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
LOL, honestly, you are way too concerned about cops & cats. Cops could care less. I have been pulled over with my loud, lopey, catless car that smells bad enough to make your eyes water and the cops don't even mention the exhaust.

It's the emissions dept you have to find a way around And that's not hard to do at all

PS. Just in case you didn't know, you are already in violation of federal law because you have relocated your cats when you put the LT headers on. So what's the difference? Pull 'em off if you want.

I haven't had cats on any of my performance cars since some time in 1996. NO PROBLEMS after MANY traffic stops. LOL, go on, live on the edge!!!
werd, the only time cops around here start looking over your car is if your a ricer. then they pop the hood and write you up for having a shitty weapon r intake

most cops will just pull you over for whatever infraction you've done and then will let you on your way. if your to loud it might give them a reason to pull you over but most wont unless there dicks.

if you have no emissions (lucky bitch ) then just go on your way and get the ORY.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:02 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Yep, even when getting pulled over for loud exhaust, they STILL don't mention anything around my area for no cats, nor do they even look or care.

They either give you a ticket for the exhaust being too loud or just let you go. Cats don't even come into the conversation....
Old 11-09-2003, 01:07 AM
TECH Addict

why not just make up some CLAMP ON fake cats like those honda boys have the fake plastic intercooler for looks.

Someone can get creative, i'll buy a set
tin shaped like a cat, with clamps or tack weld on lol
Old 11-09-2003, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickin
What do you mean by that. Go to someone I trust????
Here were I live at in West Texas, we do not have to have a smog inspection but we are supposed to have all the original equipment on board. We do have a State inspection. So what I ment was go to an inspection shop that you have a friend at and get him to pass it for you with the cats gutted.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:40 PM
TECH Veteran

I don't worry about the regular city cops at all. It's the Florida HWY Patrol, they ALL have long sticks with mirrors on the bottom, they use them to check for cats. I got checked when I got a speeding ticket a long time ago in my 1985 T/A. They pull over a high performance and/or loud car, they will check.

I think I'll gut the cats and put them back on. Just to be sure I don't that get that one dick cop, YEAH RIGHT, the one"
Old 11-10-2003, 03:04 PM
11 Second Club

IS it ilegal to relocate your cats?