Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting my SLP Lid today

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting my SLP Lid today

Well I'm picking up my lid today and was wondering if I will feel any SOTP difference. Also is a basic tune worth the money with just a lid, or should I wait to get my LT's and ORY to do it?
Old 07-07-2009, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

Chances are you will feel nothing SOTP, but that doesnt mean its not worth it. A tune is not worth the money until after you have all the bolt on mods.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

I didn't feel anything really.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Teching In

I figured it wouldn't be, I'm getting a 3.42 gear in the next few days and LT's and ory hopefully in the next month or two, so I guess the tune can wait lol
3.42's should make a world of difference from the 2.73's I got now
Old 07-07-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sick man, so how much rwhp should you be putting down now?
Old 07-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by built408
sick man, so how much rwhp should you be putting down now?
Don't know if that was sarcastic or not...
.1 more

I wouldn't know actual rwhp due to never having the car on a dyno.

Last edited by TManZ28; 07-07-2009 at 10:21 AM. Reason: sarcasm
Old 07-07-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

wait untill you get the gears and LT's on
Old 07-07-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

when i did my lid i also did the free ram air mod, tb bypass, and cut the egr tube off. definitely more throttle response and maybe a little extra power.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

when i installed my lid i HEARED a difference. and at 70 mph when i gunned it in 6th i felt a tiny SOTP difference
Old 07-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Teching In

I've done the free mods minus the !egr because I'm waiting to PnP my TB and the headers I'm gunna order w/o egr and A.I.R. so ill do those all at once. I don't expect a major kick in the seat from a lid but you know every car is different.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:18 PM
11 Second Club

just a lid, you wont feel it, but it will flow better for later supporting mods. the long tubes and tune on the other hand, will be an incredible upgrade. I put my long tubes, ORY and mail order tune on at the same time and there was a hell of a difference, I picked up 3/10's in the quarter and went from 13.2 to 12.9.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brians91formula
Chances are you will feel nothing SOTP, but that doesnt mean its not worth it. A tune is not worth the money until after you have all the bolt on mods.
Really? Because I got the SLP custom tune and SLP lid put on at the same time and I can say that I didn't notice a WHOLE lot at first except better throttle response at high spped from the lid. Also the lid really shines after about 60 mph. Also, after the tune, I drove about 40 miles of driving though (pcm needs to relearn the tune) and then wow! I put the stock tune back in for a bit for some warranty work and wow what a dog it felt like. I think these tunes work great (especially on autos) after you get your ltfts (long term fuel trims) dialed in-easy to do. Me and my girlfriend can really notice the difference with the tune and lid. Already have the catback. Lts are next. I have read on GMs perfomance site about some reviews they did with just a bunch of handheld tunes and the Diablo did incredibly well. They gained a few mph on there traps, reduced et by a couple or three tenth (probably due to torque management being turned off and better shifting etc) and also netted about 12 or 13 wheel hp with just the addition of the tune. These tunes are best for stock or light bolt on cars. IF you later do headers and Y you can install the "NoO2 performance tune" and get Diablosport (go to their forum-awesome site) to even write you a custom tune for YOUR car and email it to you. You can do a LOT with these new handhelds (Diablosport anyways is all I can vouche for) have come along way and if you pick up the pc interface (40 dollars more) you can log your vehicles tune and then forward it to Diablosport, they will customize it for your specific application. Although with your mods, you can just install the tune and go. I guarantee you if you are currently running neck and neck with someone right now, after a lid and tune you will pull on them rather easily. I know this from personal experience. Well worth it imo. Slp lid looks the best in my opinion.

Note: just a word of advice, lubricate the inner port on the lid and on the bellow a little for an easier fit. Nice choice man. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TManZ28
I figured it wouldn't be, I'm getting a 3.42 gear in the next few days and LT's and ory hopefully in the next month or two, so I guess the tune can wait lol
3.42's should make a world of difference from the 2.73's I got now
You can also adjust for gear changes and wheel size changes with the handheld tuner as well as read and clear codes. Great to save money on diagnostic fees. No I don't work for Diablosport but am a very impressed with them and their support on their forums.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope to feel a difference. I still haven't picked up a lid yet. It's funny, I have an SLP smooth Bellows and a GMMG I just installed on my car with a stock lid, lol. Oh well.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't feel the difference with the lid, but when i put in the FTRA it had much better response and acceleration felt smoother, if that makes any sense. When I would hit the gas stock it kinda felt choppy like it was choking, and it just felt better after the mods. If you still have the stock catback, you should change that also, but stay away from flowmaster for the catback.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Teching In

The previous owner installed the chokemaster cat-back on it
Old 07-07-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rob69zombie
I hope to feel a difference. I still haven't picked up a lid yet. It's funny, I have an SLP smooth Bellows and a GMMG I just installed on my car with a stock lid, lol. Oh well.
The lid will definately make your car breathe better. Especially now that you have helped it to exhale already, now it just need a little help inhaling. Then throw a tune (canned tune, mail order, or dyno tune-doesn't really matter much with those mods from what I have gathered here on LS1tech) on it to really wake it up and help everything work well together. Everyone says the ram air means ****, but I can say this; with a lid at over 60mph or so, it will definately help your car breathe better. I love mine now.