Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No emissions legal headers and catted y-pipe for my '98?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugh...
Old 08-18-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2001SS_stompinsupras
tried to help, if it such a problem just stay STOCK
lol. Just may do that. So much conflicting information is the problem.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Long tubes are the only way to go for POWER, COPS arent the EMISSION police they dont have anything to do with it. , as long as their is a CAT it's legal.

i dont care how many posts someone has, so what i havent sit on the crack box my whole life
Are you serious? Obviously you dont live in Cali. If you want to know about emissions regs ask a californian cause its rammed down our throats!

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Real easy man-if you want to stay federally legal then you cant change anything at all. These laws are not enforced. If its a real worry take your lid and catback off and put the stock stuff back because Im positive there is a reg somewhere prohibiting any mod to any part of the car.

CARB numbers refer to the California Air Resources Board. As you are in the great state of Texas I would not be worried about it. According to CARB only certain brands of shorty headers are legal (mid and LT's are all illegal), but they have to be bolted up to stock or stock replacement cats. The only approved replacement cat is a stock type, thereby negating most gains from running marginally better headers. You have a 98 so a cheap way to get the same gains as shorties is just to get some headers off an 02 car, which had a better flowing design (very nearly that of a shorty header).

Does your county in Texas even have a visual inspection? I know bell county doesn't, so worse come to worse go to a county with no visual and get your tags. You are not going to be hassled by a cop for having LT's. Most don't know what they are and if they do they are gearheads, so your chances are 1 in a million.

Honestly it seems like you have an irrational fear of the inspection man. If all us west coasters run LT's and dont get impounded what do you have to worry about?

EDIT: all other mods being the same i went from 393 to 425 rwhp just from swapping shorties to LT's. 32 rwhp just from LT's, which in essence means I didn't gain anything over stock with the shorties, as these are normal gains going from stock manifolds to LT's.

Last edited by ZMONSTER!; 08-18-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

IM GLAD I DONT,
As are we
same for new york.
OK...?
the guy asking the question doesnt live there EITHER.
Very good of you to notice that. I did as well, which is why I explained what CARB is so the OP can stop worring about it. Others have eluded to this point as well
zmonster, u made 393 hp on STOCK EXHAUST? i call bull ****
Call whatever or whomever you so desire, fact is I made just that with edelbrock shorties, stock cats/y and a magnaflow catback.
sucks for yall i run everything YOU GUYS SAY u cant, but i pass emissions for ATLANTA
Are you really trying to compare california, the hotbed of liberal, tree humping bunny fvcking ******* who want electric cars to GEORGIA? Please! You aren't even in the same league as far as restrictions to our hobby! For us if we get cought our cars can easily become cube shaped paper weights! What do you have to worry about boss hog pullin you over for racing those duke boys again? You could run an untuned carb down main street at high noon, where I have to be worried about every time I fire the car up. We can pass the sniffer all we want but if we have shiny **** under the hood were toast. Atlanta? please...

Sorry but I just dont like you, must be all the caps. Do you yell alot? I bet youve been banned before here havent you...
Old 08-19-2009, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, california .... u make it sound pleasant there.
I never said I liked it lol!

Personally I just hope Texas stays part of the union until I have time to get there, and when I do INDEPENDENCE!

FVCK California.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:12 AM
Banned

z monster u have longtubes? and pass emissions in cali?

sorry i didnt quote all u'r stuff since i can just scroll up

Last edited by 2001SS_stompinsupras; 08-19-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:40 AM
Banned

im only saying that I PASS EMISSIONS where i live, if u can't that sucks for u
Old 08-19-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shackleford
If you ask a bunch of random people on the internet you are going to get conflicting information. Seriously, drive down to wherever you get your car smogged and ask them. It doesn't matter if everyone from all there different states here on LS1 tech say you can't do it legally or can. If the smog place says, "oh yeah, doesn't matter if you get long tubes as long as you have cats" or something like that then you are golden.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

op,
look in the Texas regional section, you will find your answer there.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
If you ask a bunch of random people on the internet you are going to get conflicting information. Seriously, drive down to wherever you get your car smogged and ask them. It doesn't matter if everyone from all there different states here on LS1 tech say you can't do it legally or can. If the smog place says, "oh yeah, doesn't matter if you get long tubes as long as you have cats" or something like that then you are golden.
Actually, I found a website that has the inspection report and what they check for in my county. According to that, if I have all the original or similar equipment, emissions stuff, etc., I'm fine. They just check to make sure all the components are there, in working order, nothing disconnected or broken, etc.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/insp.../item_insp.asp
Old 08-19-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by proporio
op,
look in the Texas regional section, you will find your answer there.
It's been discussed in there before - nothing really different than what was said here.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Launching!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...y-headers.html

read over my thread, my car was a california car and they have the strictest regs in the country and my car passed there, i have legal aftermarket headers, but there expensive

Last edited by liquidsmooth; 08-19-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by liquidsmooth
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...y-headers.html

read over my thread, my car was a california car and they have the strictest regs in the country and my car passed there, i have legal aftermarket headers, but there expensive
Thanks. It seems that my year car would see the most gain from shorties. If I can get them at a very good price, I will buy them. I've read online that people get like 10rwhp, 12rwhp, or so from the shorties. If I can get them at a good price that will free up some money for the install and a good tune to maximize all my mods.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

if u want TOP OF THE LINE exhaust, check out AMERICAN RACING HEADERS. YES, THEY R STREET LEGAL! whcih they should be for $1300. Texas Speed Performance also has a great catted y pipe and long tube combo for about $500

i know enough that i pass emissions with aftermarket exhaust/cats
v
Emissions legal and street legal are not the same thing though.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I am from Illinois. The difference between street legal and emissions legal is that street legal just requires that you have a exhaust system with some sort of muffler. It has nothing to do with emissions, it has to do with sound. A cop here is not going to pull you over for not having cats, but he will if you do not have muffler(s) on the car.

Our emissions test is just a OBD-II scan test. You can have a off-road y-pipe, and as long as your PCM is tuned to remove the codes, you will pass the test. By passing the test and being able to plate the car, you would be street legal. But you are not emissions legal, because the cats were removed.

Keep in mind that simply moving the cats from their original location is also technically illegal. A cop can not issue a ticket from emissions equipment being moved or removed. That is a EPA regulation.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

We never said you can't. What we are saying is that technically, it is not legal. Depending on what state you live in, you may or may not have a problem.
In a state like California, that does visual inspection, certain long tube setups may not pass. Illinois does not have a visual test anymore. All they have is a OBD-II scan test. I have read elsewhere in these forums that sometimes using the long tubes and a catted y-pipe can cause the computer to throw codes. In Illinois, this would cause a instant failure, even though the equipment is still on the car. If you tune the codes out to pass, you have modified a emission control device, with is ILLEGAL. You will pass the test, making you street legal, because no cop is going to look under the car and see that you have added headers and a catted y-pipe. But you are still emission ILLEGAL because of the modification.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:22 AM
Staging Lane

ho are cops gonna know that you have lts?
Old 08-22-2009, 07:25 AM
TECH Resident

Good lord all this bickering is pointless. As long as you have cats and your area doesn't care where they are at, run whatever the hell you want to run. It's your car, if you want to go with shorties, go with the damn shorties, if you want to run long tubes, get the damn long tubes, don't let every yahoo on the internet decide for you.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blackhawk777
good lord all this bickering is pointless. As long as you have cats and your area doesn't care where they are at, run whatever the hell you want to run. It's your car, if you want to go with shorties, go with the damn shorties, if you want to run long tubes, get the damn long tubes, don't let every yahoo on the internet decide for you.
x2.....
Old 08-22-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree.

Quick Reply: No emissions legal headers and catted y-pipe for my '98?