Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP lid PISSES ME OFF

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP lid PISSES ME OFF

Okay I have a rant.... I had to replace my maf with a screened one and when I pulled it out, after I used a hair dryer for about 10 minutes and when I finally got it out I had a damn crack on the top of the neck. I know it is my fault but come on..so I clamped it up and it closed it up, it spills a little over the clamp am I going to have to get another one.... or is there a way I can fix this...
Why can't it ever be simple?
Thanks

Zach
Old 08-25-2009, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Get some plastic epoxy and slather it all over the crack, Should fix it right up
Old 08-25-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any idea on a brand
Old 08-25-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

take a dremel with a sanding disk and clearance the inside of the lid. Thats what I did and it slid right on.
To fix it, get some jb weld epoxy(cold weld). Just cut a chunk off and knead it like dough. Spread it over the crack from the inside. Once it's dry you can sand it. Then take a dremel do what I said above.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Aren't you worried about the jb weld coming off and getting into the engine?
Old 08-25-2009, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

If its that liquid epoxy once that stuffs dry theres no way its comming off lol
Old 08-25-2009, 10:54 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaxz28
Why can't it ever be simple?
I can't tell you how many times I've asked that question working on cars ...

I really like a product called Devcon Plastic Welder. It's an epoxy and you can get it at Wally World. Stuff dries quickly and works great. Only downside is that it looks like snot when it dries.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

when it dries( in 5-7 min its like steel) and is properly sanded, it will be stronger than the plastic. Nothing will get into the engine if its done properly. Just an idea...
Old 08-26-2009, 08:05 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The SLP lid is notorious for **** poor fitment, but they're cheap and that's why people buy them.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Damian
The SLP lid is notorious for **** poor fitment, but they're cheap and that's why people buy them.
Actually I like the SLP lid because it's the only one that is thicker than the packaging that double A batteries come in. It's really easy to crack the tabs off of most of the other lids.

I second the Devcon Plastic Welder. That stuff is awesome.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:33 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

They are thick, but there's other/better options. How durable does a lid have to be? It sits stationary in the engine bay..

The "direct flo" lids from LS1 motorsports were the best lids ever built for stock MAF's, but it's pretty damn hard to find them anymore.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:43 AM
10 Second Club

They are thick, but there's other/better options. How durable does a lid have to be? It sits stationary in the engine bay..

The "direct flo" lids from LS1 motorsports were the best lids ever built for stock MAF's, but it's pretty damn hard to find them anymore.
Man, when you break stuff as much as I do the lid spends more time off the car than on it. I'm either taking it off and on or laying on top of it to reach something in the engine bay.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

My SLP blackwing lid has excellent fitment and build quality... if you can find one for sale you can't really get better than OEM.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Holy crap, I just bought that stuff, I am feeling really good about it now, I am going to sand the inside of the lid to make sure it has an easier fit good fit. But let me tell you I put it on the outside, Your right it does look like some sneezed on it. Hey I care more about function than form at this point.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

After using a dremel and sandpaper on my SLP lid and doing everything short of putting it in the oven, it STILL won't fit the stock MAF. I gave up and put the stock lid back on. Ridiculous that SLP can't get the fitment right when they charge a hundred bucks for a god damn piece of plastic that's designed to fit these cars!
Old 06-11-2010, 01:01 AM
Launching!

To keep it from further cracking, you may try drilling a hole at the end of the crack and then using the expoxy on it. You may not need to do this, JM2C
Old 06-11-2010, 02:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

wow i've had mine for 5 years now and it never caused me a problem that crappy *** fernco bellows came off my TB enough times to realize i shouldn't be a cheap *** and buy the smooth bellow. btw did you descreen your MAF and then realize the mistake of that?
Old 06-11-2010, 06:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Latch
After using a dremel and sandpaper on my SLP lid and doing everything short of putting it in the oven, it STILL won't fit the stock MAF. I gave up and put the stock lid back on. Ridiculous that SLP can't get the fitment right when they charge a hundred bucks for a god damn piece of plastic that's designed to fit these cars!
did you call slp and tell them it does not fit, you should try and get your money back. if a company does not know there product works they can not fix it.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Zaxz28
Holy crap, I just bought that stuff, I am feeling really good about it now, I am going to sand the inside of the lid to make sure it has an easier fit good fit. But let me tell you I put it on the outside, Your right it does look like some sneezed on it. Hey I care more about function than form at this point.
You could sand it down once you've finished and hit it with some flat or semi-gloss paint.

Originally Posted by Revoroller
To keep it from further cracking, you may try drilling a hole at the end of the crack and then using the expoxy on it. You may not need to do this, JM2C
Definitely recommend this too so you don't get any further damage
Old 06-11-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by King Nothing
wow i've had mine for 5 years now and it never caused me a problem ?
I'm with you! Never had a fitment problem or hood rubbing either. I clamp it to the MAF before clipping it in. Then bend the tabs down when I reinstall it so the clamps don't come off. Other than that it works fine.