Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Magnaflow questions

I just ordered my Magnaflow Single Tip catback for my 02 WS6, just wondering what kind of sound i should expect with longtubes, ORY, and TR230 cam, and other supporting mods, and if anyone knows around the hp numbers it should pick up from a crappy cramped chambered exhaust with a turndown. O i have another question if anyone else is having problems with O2 codes saying low voltage and you have 02 extensions and how did you solve them, any help is appreciated!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will sound great...i love the magnaflow, always had one on my vehicles, they flow great. My cut out only picked up like 6hp over the magnaflow, then i went w/ one of the short "race" mufflers that are straight through louder than the cat back, but quiter than the cut out and made the same as the cut out.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will sound awesome... You could expect maybe 11whp or so....
Old 09-09-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

ive got pretty much almost the same cam as you with pacesetter longtubes and ory and magnaflow and it does sound good. honestly, it is still pretty quiet. your TR 230 cam with a 111 lsa will have a nasty lope. the sound of magnaflow id say has a smooth crisp sound rather than raspy sound that people say.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to tell you the truth the magnaflows are pretty quiet, especially inside the car. i have a fully built 408 with kooks LT's and ORY with a magnaflow catback. outside the car it sounds nice and its decently loud. but when your driving, it sounds almost stock to me. IMO, it just hides the aggressive sound of the motor. I wish i had something more like a borla or corsa, something loud and aggressive. but thats just me.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The setup should should great. I loved how my LT's and magnaflow sounded. Its quite under 2k RPMs. After that it can get pretty loud.

I recently had a magnaflow bullet welded into my i-pipe as I wanted to get a deeper tone. I should have the car finished this weekend, so I'll see what the sound difference is.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

Default great

with lt and ory it should sound really good. people should be able to hear you coming now.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Magnaflows sound great but fit like crap.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gmmusclecarman
to tell you the truth the magnaflows are pretty quiet, especially inside the car. i have a fully built 408 with kooks LT's and ORY with a magnaflow catback. outside the car it sounds nice and its decently loud. but when your driving, it sounds almost stock to me. IMO, it just hides the aggressive sound of the motor. I wish i had something more like a borla or corsa, something loud and aggressive. but thats just me.

agreed!! its funny how people say magnaflow is pretty loud? LOL.. its still very quiet. it made me decide if i want to switch up to tru duals or go with a GMMG catback.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Customizing Director

Originally Posted by matt1289
Magnaflows sound great but fit like crap.
I disagree with fitment. It was probably one of the best fitting slip-fit cat-back systems I've installed on any car.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Not mine I had to cut the pipe from the muffler to y-pipe because it was too long and one of the welds that connected to the hang broke.

I didnt like the sound of my flowmaster but it bolted right up no issues.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

i love my magnaflow, cant wait for LT's hope it wakes her up, it is quiet till about 2-2.5k then she starts to scream =] but man i had a headache last night on my way home from my girlfriends and i guess it was the headache but my car sounded loud as anything and was really annoying
Old 09-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
The setup should should great. I loved how my LT's and magnaflow sounded. Its quite under 2k RPMs. After that it can get pretty loud.

I recently had a magnaflow bullet welded into my i-pipe as I wanted to get a deeper tone. I should have the car finished this weekend, so I'll see what the sound difference is.
So did you end up dumping the exhaust after the bullet? How much of difference is there between the bullet and the catback setup? (as to sound not loudness)
Old 09-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Customizing Director

Originally Posted by ws6onSLICKS
So did you end up dumping the exhaust after the bullet? How much of difference is there between the bullet and the catback setup? (as to sound not loudness)
No. It still goes into the magnaflow muffler after the bullet. The bullet I put in is intended to reduce and high end pitches further and make the sound a bit deeper. Its a straight through design so I don't think it would reduce the volume to much, but we'll see when I fire it up this weekend.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks guys for all the help, i am debating whether to cut the old catback off and run open Y pipe till i get my magnaflow but i dont think anyone where i live would like to hear it crank at 6:30am, but i dont really care for my neighbors anyway so what the hell i think i will cut it, would i see any gains if i installed a QTP electric cutout along with the magnaflow system