Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have the LT headers. What's the real world gain - TDs vs. cat-back?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Have the LT headers. What's the real world gain - TDs vs. cat-back?

As you see in my sig, I have a Dynatech SuperMAXX Header System bolted up to my stock WS6 exhaust.

Many posters recommend true duals, but I’m a stickler for neighborhood-friendly exhaust and factory-like solid, reliable mounting. True duals seem often to want to dump front of the rear axle,
(not professional) (loud bullet mufflers)
OR very tricky plumbing over the axle. And then there's the extra weight and trying to fit two mufflers.

Here is my exhaust question.
Considering I have street-legal LT headers with CATs;
Does the expense and hassle of true duals really offer a real dollar/hp gain over a quality cat-back system?

Does anyone know of a dyno test or mag article that points to what if any hp gain would I see over my OEM WS6 exhaust?

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2009, 06:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well first read the sticky at the top of this section.

any aftermarket catback will be louder than your stock exhaust but i think the hooker exhaust is one of the quieter ones also look in to the new slp powerflow exhaust its like a loudmouth with another muffler right before the tips so 1 resonator and 2 mufflers\
here is the link
http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=31083

also befor i had my lt's i had a custom lm2 exhaust and it was to loud with the headers so i put the lm2 muffler in the i pipe and a single in single out oval magnaflow in the stock location with one hiden tip and it sounds really good not to loud but just right for me.
if i want it loud ill open my cutout
Old 10-10-2009, 07:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
As you see in my sig, I have a Dynatech SuperMAXX Header System bolted up to my stock WS6 exhaust.

Many posters recommend true duals, but I’m a stickler for neighborhood-friendly exhaust and factory-like solid, reliable mounting. True duals seem often to want to dump front of the rear axle,
(not professional) (loud bullet mufflers)
OR very tricky plumbing over the axle. And then there's the extra weight and trying to fit two mufflers.

Here is my exhaust question.
Considering I have street-legal LT headers with CATs;
Does the expense and hassle of true duals really offer a real dollar/hp gain over a quality cat-back system?

Does anyone know of a dyno test or mag article that points to what if any hp gain would I see over my OEM WS6 exhaust?

Thanks!
i cant tell you what you would gain but you would most likely gain a little by just getting another catback at least. my 2nd ls1 had the exact same setup as you but with a magnaflow check my sig. if you really wanna go with td it would be more cost effective to just get them dumped. the cost of going all the way back wouldnt be worth it. so either get them dumped before axle or get a catback.

now on my 3rd ls1 and ill be doing headers with dumped td
Old 10-10-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

Im going straight from stock exhaust manifold , cutout and magnaflow muffler to Hooker LTs and TSP TDs with Dynomax bullets
Old 10-10-2009, 11:40 PM
12 Second Club

i didnt dyno my car to tell the difference but i went straight from stock to tds and lts, then got tired of the tds and went with a catted y/cb and i could tell no SOTP difference. so much happier with the y setup.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

I actually gained performance going from TD's back to a catback. I had a very nicely made 2.5" mandrel bent system with Sweet Thunders, but it got to be too loud. I swapped in a SLP Dual/Dual with a DMH e-cutout, and picked up .3 seconds and 3 MPH at the track, similar conditions and all. On top of that, I have the perfect system. It's very tame with the cutout closed, and all the noise you could want when it's open. Icing on the cake....can't beat the lope through an open cutout. I like TD's, but in my case the traditional setup worked better.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

I just switched from a borla catback to tsp td's and to me it seems like my car pulls a little bit harder up top, but we will see next time i go to track.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
i cant tell you what you would gain but you would most likely gain a little by just getting another catback at least. my 2nd ls1 had the exact same setup as you but with a magnaflow check my sig. if you really wanna go with td it would be more cost effective to just get them dumped. the cost of going all the way back wouldnt be worth it. so either get them dumped before axle or get a catback.

now on my 3rd ls1 and ill be doing headers with dumped td
It depends on the shop. My shop does everything dirt cheap though. They're putting my headers on, and custom making my whole H-pipe true duals, and going under the axle out back. They told me that it's going to be around $300-$400. That's way cheaper than buying a catback, let alone, a Y-pipe also. Plus it'll sound better than raspy Y-pipes usually do.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
I actually gained performance going from TD's back to a catback. I had a very nicely made 2.5" mandrel bent system with Sweet Thunders, but it got to be too loud. I swapped in a SLP Dual/Dual with a DMH e-cutout, and picked up .3 seconds and 3 MPH at the track, similar conditions and all. On top of that, I have the perfect system. It's very tame with the cutout closed, and all the noise you could want when it's open. Icing on the cake....can't beat the lope through an open cutout. I like TD's, but in my case the traditional setup worked better.
im suprised and doubting that you gained that much from a Y pipe setup, true duals have 0 backpressure and should flow the best IMO, maybe the tune was off? .3 and 3 mph is like 30 horsepower.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tspence45
It depends on the shop. My shop does everything dirt cheap though. They're putting my headers on, and custom making my whole H-pipe true duals, and going under the axle out back. They told me that it's going to be around $300-$400. That's way cheaper than buying a catback, let alone, a Y-pipe also. Plus it'll sound better than raspy Y-pipes usually do.
well if you can get a full td system from headers all the way past axle for cheaper than a catback more power to you. would this system you speak of be all stainless? also,hes already got the ypipe in place.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by stumprrp
im suprised and doubting that you gained that much from a Y pipe setup, true duals have 0 backpressure and should flow the best IMO, maybe the tune was off? .3 and 3 mph is like 30 horsepower.
11.93 at 113 to 11.62 at 116....only change was adding Y-pipe and SLP D/D catback. Same track conditions, same weight, same tune. Believe me, I know my car and every little nuance about it. It was an obvious improvement from the very first time I drove the car with the new exhaust.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

11.93 at 113 to 11.62 at 116....only change was adding Y-pipe and SLP D/D catback. Same track conditions, same weight, same tune. Believe me, I know my car and every little nuance about it. It was an obvious improvement from the very first time I drove the car with the new exhaust.
what was your 60ft on the 11.93 pass?
Old 10-11-2009, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

While its a similar situation, did you have the cutout with the TD's?

If you went from TD's with no cutouts, to a Y-Pipe with a cutout I can easily see where this is going...
Old 10-11-2009, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tspence45
I'm sorry, I just don't like the under axle dual setup. No offense to those that do it, but it's just not good engineering. It's like shade-tree mechanics.

If TDs are too difficult or too $$ over the axle, and proof that a good cat-back will have nearly the same HP benefit, maybe that's the way to go.

I'm thinking that the muffler makes all the difference on a cat-back design.
High flow but no rasp would be the goal.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hlaalu
what was your 60ft on the 11.93 pass?

Originally Posted by Parasoth
While its a similar situation, did you have the cutout with the TD's?

If you went from TD's with no cutouts, to a Y-Pipe with a cutout I can easily see where this is going...
No cutouts with the duals....I'm by no means ******* the duals. I loved them, but they were too loud all the time. I wanted to have the best of both worlds, hence the swap. I fully expected to go slower after the swap, so you can imagine my surprise. I'm not saying it had everything to do with the change, but it made a big enough difference that it had to have some impact.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:22 PM
10 Second Club

wow you gained from a ypipe over duals? omg the debate goes on...............lol
Old 10-12-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

No cutouts with the duals....I'm by no means ******* the duals. I loved them, but they were too loud all the time. I wanted to have the best of both worlds, hence the swap. I fully expected to go slower after the swap, so you can imagine my surprise. I'm not saying it had everything to do with the change, but it made a big enough difference that it had to have some impact.
very cool and very interesting. so the only thing you changed between track times was that exhaust?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
I'm sorry, I just don't like the under axle dual setup. No offense to those that do it, but it's just not good engineering. It's like shade-tree mechanics.

If TDs are too difficult or too $$ over the axle, and proof that a good cat-back will have nearly the same HP benefit, maybe that's the way to go.

I'm thinking that the muffler makes all the difference on a cat-back design.
High flow but no rasp would be the goal.
There's lots of vehicles that come from the factory with under the axle piping, so I don't see why everyone hates it so much. Look at Mustangs. Their piping goes under the axle. It's easier, and it looks cool from the rear anyways.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hlaalu
very cool and very interesting. so the only thing you changed between track times was that exhaust?
Yes, and I agree the outcome is rather weird and goes against the grain. It certainly isn't the norm.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Where did you place your cutout?? After the Y pipe merge??