Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some input/reviews on GMMG exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some input/reviews on GMMG exhaust

so a trans am was next to me at the local gas station tonight and it sounded to die for but i didnt have a chance to get out and ask him what exahaust he had.. but me all i have is a magnaflow catback on my car and had no idea how quiet my car actually is untill i heard this trans am tonight and im just kinda disgusted with it now. so im prob going to try and get either a cutout soon or another catback because im not planning to do longtubes till summer so thats kinda out of the question. i have listening to GMMG clips lately and love how it sounds and was wondering for people have it. how is it cruising and idling? is it ok for daily driving in an a4 car? i see most people say that they love their GMMG , just looking for some feedback from everyone, thanks guys
Old 10-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I had a GMMG on my car for four years - daily driven. It was perfect with stock manifolds, cats, and torque converter. With the higher stall converter it was noticeably louder around town. Then with LT's & ORY, it became unbearably loud and raspy.

I ended up doing a custom Y with cats and FM merge, powerpack in I, and resonator tips to smooth out the sound. It worked well, but ended up a very heavy system.

Finally, I ended up ditching it to go with something simple and light. You may want to keep your Magnflow around if you go to LT's - esp. w/ORY.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the GMMG, and it was LOUD, F'ING LOUD, with LT's and ORY. I installed a magnaflow bullet in the I-pipe, and it sounds awesome now. I have no problems having a conversation with my wife. I get compliments all over town. The only person that doesn't like it is my wife, but i wouldn't want to waste money to buy another catback.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I had a GMMG on my car for four years - daily driven. It was perfect with stock manifolds, cats, and torque converter. With the higher stall converter it was noticeably louder around town. Then with LT's & ORY, it became unbearably loud and raspy.

I ended up doing a custom Y with cats and FM merge, powerpack in I, and resonator tips to smooth out the sound. It worked well, but ended up a very heavy system.

Finally, I ended up ditching it to go with something simple and light. You may want to keep your Magnflow around if you go to LT's - esp. w/ORY.
Hey Rev not trying to down or diss you but I see when you started with the GMMG and LT's you had an ORY. People wonder why it's so raspy and very loud (ORY). But cats on it and you won't have to deal with majority of that . Now that being said I have KooK's LT and Kooks Catted Y and it's not that raspy but it does a little. But I now have a powerstick bullet muffler on the way to hopefully kill that or majority of that. An also I think the FM merge (said by rev) would help with that also from what I've been reading. People use the ORY to make maybe 5 to 8 more ponies and don't get the true sound of the exhaust but if you have cats on there then you get a refined sound of the exhaust tone which is sweet, the hell with the 5 to 8 ponies I'm losing but the car sure does sound good. Thank you very much
Old 10-10-2009, 11:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z28camaross2
so a trans am was next to me at the local gas station tonight and it sounded to die for but i didnt have a chance to get out and ask him what exahaust he had.. but me all i have is a magnaflow catback on my car and had no idea how quiet my car actually is untill i heard this trans am tonight and im just kinda disgusted with it now. so im prob going to try and get either a cutout soon or another catback because im not planning to do longtubes till summer so thats kinda out of the question. i have listening to GMMG clips lately and love how it sounds and was wondering for people have it. how is it cruising and idling? is it ok for daily driving in an a4 car? i see most people say that they love their GMMG , just looking for some feedback from everyone, thanks guys
haha you cant make your mind up man. just hold on until monday. im putting a cutout in my car and ill post up some vids for you to hear
Old 10-11-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

haha hey man, actually i might have to take you up on that offer because i dont think i have heard a lt, catted y magnaflow with a cutout, i might have to just get a cutout soon to give me that louder sound i want. do cutouts still sound good with stock manifolds and cats and y and would the magnaflow catback affect the cutout at all since some air still gets threw?
Old 10-11-2009, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

thats what im worried about my gf since she rides in my car alot, dont wanna **** her off..then i get cut off...lol but i dont think she would mind lts catted y and magnaflow
Old 10-11-2009, 01:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its loud from about 2200 on up, but its not ridiculous
Old 10-11-2009, 03:04 AM
Staging Lane

i have kooks LTs, catted Y and GMMG and and i love it. its loud, but actually i wouldnt mind if it was even louder! i have an A4 and cruising through town and even on the highway its easy to hold normal convorsation inside, although people tell me that they can hear me coming from a solid mile away. at WOT its just nasty, especially in a tunnel or going under a bridge! OH, and at school EVERYDAY i set off multiple car alarms in the parking garage, which always re-assures me about my exhaust decision haha. good luck with your choice man
Old 10-11-2009, 04:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have longtubes with a ORY and GMMG! I can have a conversation perfectly, but once it gets over 2500rpms it's LOUD AS F*CK! Raspy too, but I love it. I had my boy drive it down the street and it sounded mean and it was louder than I thought.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's some clips of my SS.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TirT...?v=pocrNvLbyys
Old 10-11-2009, 04:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pocrNvLbyys
Old 10-11-2009, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok i have posted this up a million times but no ones given me a good and reasonable anwser.. i seem to have some drone in my magnaflow that i shouldnt have and everyone says it shouldnt have it well.. it does and its not my imagionation i know the car shouldnt sound louder held at 1500rpm then it does at 2000rpm..so here are a few idea's i have , i can hear a slight exhaust leak coming from where the over axle going into the muffler, but i cant seem to get to pipe to go into the muffler slot any more? looks like the over axle has been banging on the suspension and there a is a pretty decent dent in the pipe dont know if the pipe came bent so it doesnt bang? or if the banging caused it and the dent in the pipe is causing some drone? or another part of the catback is resting on something and causings some resonanse? i am really considering taking the whole system off and reinstalling it but i tried after dinner the other night, and couldnt seem to get the nuts off the u clamps... so i might pick up some band clams before i try again.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

ssmokin , is that just the catback or do you have longtubes as well?
Old 10-12-2009, 02:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

ssmokin , is that just the catback or do you have longtubes as well?
Longtubes with a off road Y-pipe. Its not that loud driving around, but once it gets over 2500 rpms its LOUD.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

ok i have posted this up a million times but no ones given me a good and reasonable anwser.. i seem to have some drone in my magnaflow that i shouldnt have and everyone says it shouldnt have it well.. it does and its not my imagionation i know the car shouldnt sound louder held at 1500rpm then it does at 2000rpm..so here are a few idea's i have , i can hear a slight exhaust leak coming from where the over axle going into the muffler, but i cant seem to get to pipe to go into the muffler slot any more? looks like the over axle has been banging on the suspension and there a is a pretty decent dent in the pipe dont know if the pipe came bent so it doesnt bang? or if the banging caused it and the dent in the pipe is causing some drone? or another part of the catback is resting on something and causings some resonanse? i am really considering taking the whole system off and reinstalling it but i tried after dinner the other night, and couldnt seem to get the nuts off the u clamps... so i might pick up some band clams before i try again.
you may have it installed wrong. im lowered and its not hitting anywhere on my car. and that may have something to do with the drone your talking about.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had LT's, ORY, GMMG, and a 4400 stall in my WS6 and it was really loud but I loved it. I enjoyed the rasp and under normal acceleration, it held right at the raspiest part, LOL. I had FLP's so I could swap on cats and it got rid of all the rasp but I just didn't enjoy it as much. The new metal core cats don't kill rasp like the older ceramic brick kind do like on my FLP's. I have a 3" x-pipe on my Z28 with metal core magnaflow cats and it's pretty raspy but not like my trans am was.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
you may have it installed wrong. im lowered and its not hitting anywhere on my car. and that may have something to do with the drone your talking about.
thats the thing, i didnt install it a local shop did and they did a terrible job tips were uneven and i had to adjust them, so i will take some pics right after work and u guys can be the judge to see what the problem is..
Old 10-12-2009, 03:28 PM
12 Second Club

thats the thing, i didnt install it a local shop did and they did a terrible job tips were uneven and i had to adjust them, so i will take some pics right after work and u guys can be the judge to see what the problem is..
alright.

well i got my cutout put in today. and there still is no drone even with the cutout. ill get some videos of it as soon as i can.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think this weekend im going to try and un clamp the entire catback and make some adjustments and see if it works. it is really driving me crazy in the morning and at night during the day isnt as bad because i just turn up the radio so i cant here it and its not as annoying during the day.

but twitch how does it sound ? awesome?

Quick Reply: need some input/reviews on GMMG exhaust