Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All done with weiand swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009 | 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default All done with weiand swap

Well I decided to dive in and just start it up and see what happens, smell of gas for a little bit then Idle smoothed out to about 650 and 500 in drive. Drove it around the block did very well. I don't like the fact that I had to use the spacer for the bbk, I will have to find out how to adjust the throttle cables so I can open it up a little. Things I learned

Wires can be pulled and tugged on pretty hard without fear of ripping them out.

Fuel injectors can be pushed on and manipulated without a lot of fear of breaking.

Torque aluminum bolts can be tricky, I only did mine to 14 foot pounds, If I need to I will torque it down when it leaks.

A person with tiny hands IS a necessity when working on the back of the manifold.

The Weiand MAP placement was not good I had to push it almost all the way back and my sister in law was barely able to get the plug in there.

After buying the necessary tools, and the broken oil pressure unit I could have paid a garage the same amount of money to do it.

If anybody is on a budget and can pick one of these manifolds up for cheap do it.

Felpro print o seal gaskets are a must.
Old 10-12-2009 | 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pics sorry
Attached Thumbnails All done with weiand swap-hpim0866.jpg   All done with weiand swap-hpim0867.jpg  
Old 10-12-2009 | 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks great, man. Did you notice a SOTP difference?

I'm about to upgrade mine to an LS6 Intake this winter. I'm gathering all the necessary parts at the moment. Once thats complete, I can't wait to dive in.
Old 10-12-2009 | 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Gonna try it tomorrow, to tired to deal with any problems I could run into tonight, knowing my luck, I would open it up and then boom...
Old 10-12-2009 | 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Im going to be doing this swap soon. Just wondering if you did any gasket matching or just bolted it on as it is. Also how long did it take you to do this and what special tools did you have to buy?
Old 10-13-2009 | 02:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

subscribing...

I have the same intake and have painted it to match my car, but haven't installed it yet because I've debated selling the car. I also still need to buy the bolts since the prior owner of the intake didnt include them in the sale.

How long did it take you to install it?
Old 10-13-2009 | 07:41 AM
12 Second Club

id say an intake change (first time) would be about 4-5 hours if you take your time and double check everything. that change includes removing the old and reinstalling the new one right away.
Old 10-13-2009 | 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
id say an intake change (first time) would be about 4-5 hours if you take your time and double check everything. that change includes removing the old and reinstalling the new one right away.
I am not going to lie it took me a good 8-10 with cleaning, a good three days of on and off work. But once it was aligned and the back all hooked up everything else went quick.
Old 10-13-2009 | 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gun4hire
subscribing...

I have the same intake and have painted it to match my car, but haven't installed it yet because I've debated selling the car. I also still need to buy the bolts since the prior owner of the intake didnt include them in the sale.

How long did it take you to install it?
about 8 hours without including all of the running around for different tools. I decided to do it in my garage instead of my fathers (all of the tools are there)

let me know and I will give you a list of the tools required, If you really want to make your life easier, I don't know if they sell them but a MAP extension wire harness. If you don't have a girlfriend get one your going to need her hands
Old 10-13-2009 | 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it possible to move the MAP sensor and have a remote unit with some rubber hose and a few fittings to make life easier on these cars?? I dont have one, but I thought I would ask.
Old 10-13-2009 | 11:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls1kbush
Im going to be doing this swap soon. Just wondering if you did any gasket matching or just bolted it on as it is. Also how long did it take you to do this and what special tools did you have to buy?
Sorry I didn't see this post right away. I did do port matching to the gaskets, but I will be honest when I went to put the gaskets on the heads it was like I was looking at the intake again I don't know if that part was worth it, but I saw a post on here that said a ported weiand will out flow a regular ls6 intake.

Tools:
Inch pounds torque wrench for coolant pipe trade off and fuel rails bolt down. NOT FOR INTAKE MANIFOLD BOLT DOWN.
(The one from autozone will NOT work)

Foot pounds torque wrench for bolting down intake manifold Weiand says 16 foot pounds, I was to chicken I only went to 14.

Ten mm deep socket and regular socket 1/4 inch

8mm socket

If you have the weiand bolts you need the allen head type sockets to stick in the bolts. Much better then the regular bolts because the allen head will stay in instead of a regular socket sliping off a bolt head.

u-joint type adapter 1/4 inch

Different sizes of extensions for 1/4 inch ratchet.

adapter for 1/4 to 1/2 inch for torque wrench

Craftman hose clamp remover.

flat head screw driver.

If this is a first time you will also probably need an oil pressure sensor and socket to remove it, if not great just return them.

If it is out their, get a MAP extension wire harness other wise it is almost impossible to get in to plug it in to the back.

antiseize for the bolts

RTV ULTRA Black

Felpro print o seal gaskets

I did not have to do any grinding on the smaller head bolts or the valley pan bolts.

If you are redoing the bottom intake gasket include medium grade threadlock

Last edited by Zaxz28; 10-14-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10-13-2009 | 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Forgot to mention if you still have EGR then it is a great time to do the egr mod look at install university, I just covered my engine and did it on the car.
Old 10-13-2009 | 12:04 PM
11 Second Club
15 Year Member

I am not sure what kind of material the manifold is made out of but on the Fast intakes you can use a barbed hose fitting and put that in where the map sensor is suppose to go, and then run a vacuum line of about 6inches or so and put you map senros in there. It worked great for me, and i know that it isn't leaking and its sealed tight.

You will need a fuel line tool to get the fuel line off from the intake manifold, I think thats the only tool you forgot to mention.
Old 10-13-2009 | 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

its an alum. casting.
i had one and i used remote mount map sensors. no probs. it was mounted about 3.5-4in. away with barb fitting and efi hose.
Old 10-13-2009 | 03:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Boy I wish I had done that would have made it a lot easier
Old 10-13-2009 | 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Forgot to mention, went out and opened it up, did not notice a big difference in daily driving except for the throttle being a little more touchy. But flooring it, WOW, I like it especially going 35 to 40 and then flooring it. the mid range and top range pull harder.

HEAT Soak- after driving and even at idle I can put my hand on the manifold and keep it there. If I stop it and leave it for about ten to fifteen minutes yes it gets to hot to put your hand on it for any length of time, but when I start to drive it again about fifteen minutes worth I put my hand back on it with the car running, guess what, I could put my hand back on it again.
Old 10-13-2009 | 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

dont worry about the heat soak bs.
its overrated, unless you run in competiton road race, u will never notice anything.
Old 10-14-2009 | 12:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

I totally agree with you. I don't think it makes a difference. Count me on board for metal manifolds
Old 10-14-2009 | 12:33 AM
TECH Regular

Looks good anyway.

I'm in for any future numbers.
Old 10-14-2009 | 02:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like I may have a buyer lined up for my car... will see what happens, but its a shame the intake looks so good in hugger orange.