Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to install LS6 Intake Manifold Video

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice work.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job, it will definately help some folks!
Old 02-25-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

So is the oil pressure sending unit attached to the intake or to the car just behind the intake? My gauge is not reading right and I want to change the opsu. I guess I could just pull the intake out a bit and get to it huh?
Old 02-25-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No it is right behind the intake, right in fron of the big vacuum hose coming off the back of the intake.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by trey1010
No it is right behind the intake, right in fron of the big vacuum hose coming off the back of the intake.
ok thanks, I just don't want to go through al the trouble if this is not my problem. My oil pressure will jump up to 50 or higher when cold but after it warms up and I'm sitting at a stop light, it goes down to around 20. It moves up if I get on it but it don't seem right. It bounces around a little too after warm. I just replaced this engine and the prev owner said it never did this in his car. It did do it in my old engine and they used the same opsu when they installed his engine in my car so I'm guessing it's the culprit.

Last edited by edzsilverss; 02-25-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I honestly can't see how the OPSU can be taken out or put back in without moving the intake out of the way. It would probably take as much time as moving the intake and doing it correctly.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
You mean the shark teeth? People at work still ask me what happened to the back of my hand. Looks like a cat tore up my hand.
Just for future reference and anyone that may want to know. I think that the sharkteeth he's referring to are the plastic anchors that hold the weatherstripping in place where the hood comes down onto the cowl. Those can be pulled out fairly easily (and reused) so they don't get you when you're sticking your arms into the mouth of the beast LOL After i got mauled the first couple of times i decided to stop being lazy and pulled them out.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

yep, should help alot. i'm watching it now...UPS says my ls6 intake will be here tomorrow Cheers!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

I watched the video...do you have to have a tune for the LS6 intake swap?
Old 02-25-2010, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by offroadfury6
Nope. I'm sure it would contribute to the hp gain, but even without a tune you'll MAYBE get 10-20 hp to the wheel just depending on what your car has in it now, but you'll definitely notice SOME improvement.

After my ls6 swap, i could mostly tell the difference in the way the car idled and loped. Originally, my idle and lope was fairly erratic; now it's very consistent and the cammin has never been better. My throttle response has improved too
Old 02-26-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nemesis350
Nope. I'm sure it would contribute to the hp gain, but even without a tune you'll MAYBE get 10-20 hp to the wheel just depending on what your car has in it now, but you'll definitely notice SOME improvement.

After my ls6 swap, i could mostly tell the difference in the way the car idled and loped. Originally, my idle and lope was fairly erratic; now it's very consistent and the cammin has never been better. My throttle response has improved too
awesome...UPS.com says my LS6 intake is "out for delivery" ... also waiting on my kooks Lt's and SLP LM1....with the new mods bro, i'm sure I'll defently feel a nice power increase...
Old 02-26-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

You don't need to retune for the LS6
Old 02-26-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

sweet...I'm sure when I get my moser 9 with 4.11s I'll need a tune within the next 2 months or so....I got the LS6 intake, looks awesome...I'm just gonna shave all the squares off the bottom.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm just gonna shave all the squares off the bottom.
That's the way to go, its freakin cake.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:32 PM
11 Second Club

As everyone has already said, fantastic videos you've made there. I was fortunate enough to get the LS6 w/my 01'Z but I've removed it, cleaned, painted & such. Wish your video was available when I did this a few years ago... would likely have not broken my oil pressure sending unit Nice job for the tutorials.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Duffster
As everyone has already said, fantastic videos you've made there. I was fortunate enough to get the LS6 w/my 01'Z but I've removed it, cleaned, painted & such. Wish your video was available when I did this a few years ago... would likely have not broken my oil pressure sending unit Nice job for the tutorials.
Thanks alot. Unfortunetley I've completed my "Full bolt ons and a tune" goal so I'm done with my car. Maybe one day in the far future I'll make a "how to install head and cam package" video. I just wanted to make these vids because so many guys pee away their hard earned money to shops cause they are afraid to attempt it. But I think once most people see my vids if gives them confidence. And I have yet to hear someone say they couldn't finish and had to take their car to a shop because it was too difficult.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:59 PM
master of the "jack"stand

I'm in the middle of the swap right now on my 99 Vette. I'm kind of confused about the small hose connection on the back of the manifold. All I see is a small tube sticking up in the back. I'm assuming the small rubber elbow on the back if the intake was connected to it, but I never disconnected it...the intake came right out after I took the small connector off and fished the brake booster hose through.

Does my description of this smaller hose sound correct? I'm concerned because there was an intake leak before I started this swap and I want to make everything right.

Great vids BlueKnight

Thanks
Old 03-11-2010, 03:14 AM
TECH Addict

Nice job Blue Knight! Congrats!

The only other thing is I would have done the knock sensor fix by creating a little silicone dam around them to keep water out. Also the foam under the manifold tends to wick water soaking the knock sensors, so those foam pieces are not a good idea. I removed the brown foam foam piece that came stock with the LS6 manifold.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:20 AM
TECH Addict

Talking

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Thanks alot. Unfortunetley I've completed my "Full bolt ons and a tune" goal so I'm done with my car. Maybe one day in the far future I'll make a "how to install head and cam package" video. I just wanted to make these vids because so many guys pee away their hard earned money to shops cause they are afraid to attempt it. But I think once most people see my vids if gives them confidence. And I have yet to hear someone say they couldn't finish and had to take their car to a shop because it was too difficult.
You'll be doing the heads and cam way sooner than you ever imagined.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChevyWeatherman
I'm in the middle of the swap right now on my 99 Vette. I'm kind of confused about the small hose connection on the back of the manifold. All I see is a small tube sticking up in the back. I'm assuming the small rubber elbow on the back if the intake was connected to it, but I never disconnected it...the intake came right out after I took the small connector off and fished the brake booster hose through.

Does my description of this smaller hose sound correct? I'm concerned because there was an intake leak before I started this swap and I want to make everything right.

Great vids BlueKnight

Thanks
Honestly, the install was so long ago I can't even remember all the little hoses and wires bunched up back there. Maybe someone will chime in who have done the install more recently.

Originally Posted by Predator
Nice job Blue Knight! Congrats!

The only other thing is I would have done the knock sensor fix by creating a little silicone dam around them to keep water out. Also the foam under the manifold tends to wick water soaking the knock sensors, so those foam pieces are not a good idea. I removed the brown foam foam piece that came stock with the LS6 manifold.
Hmm, never heard that before, makes sense though.

Quick Reply: How to install LS6 Intake Manifold Video