Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

43 WHP gain with shorties, why such a bad rap ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They sniff and pull codes. Some places also look for the cats from what I hear. The place I just went to didn't look under the car. That's good to know in the future, I guess.

I just passed because I'm bone stock but that will change soon. But I don't want inspection issues in the future so I have to consider that in my mods. I also want to go with a mild cam eventually and prolly an intake. I doubt I'll sink the cash into heads, I don't race (well, not officailly). That also makes me a little leary of shorties. Will they breath enough for a cam.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MurphyTex
They sniff and pull codes. Some places also look for the cats from what I hear. The place I just went to didn't look under the car. That's good to know in the future, I guess.

I just passed because I'm bone stock but that will change soon. But I don't want inspection issues in the future so I have to consider that in my mods. I also want to go with a mild cam eventually and prolly an intake. I doubt I'll sink the cash into heads, I don't race (well, not officailly). That also makes me a little leary of shorties. Will they breath enough for a cam.
They will breath enough for a smaller cam no problem. BTO member was running shorties /Mids with CA , intake and a small 224 cam and was at 422 WHP/415 TQ running low 12s all day long on street tires. LTs will be better but shorties will also work well with a small build
Old 11-01-2009, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been lucky so far on the state inspections. In VA they never looked at my exhaust setup, sniffed, or even popped the hood. It was pretty obvious that it wasn't stock with the choppy little hotcam.

Alabama doesn't even have state inspections. You can roll with no tires, brakes, or glass and have the exhaust routed thru the a/c vents and the local law enforcement will just tip their hat to you at the stoplight. People don't care about anything but food down here...
Old 11-01-2009, 08:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
Actually, with larger rockers, seat to seat isn't changing, so you're wrong on the duration change. The valve will lift farther and faster with the 1.85s vs the stock 1.7s, so the lift is what changes.

Keep your nose in the books and try to be more knowledgable when you post.
You need to do research before you open your mouth. Because the valve hangs open longer it acts like more duration but it is very minimal hence 1 to 3 degrees with rockers. Go ask a knowldgeable engine builder. Here is an article to read, go to the bottom. Its a ford article but it applies to all pushrod motors.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2001/10/rockerarms/
Old 11-01-2009, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zaxz28
Okay here is another Dyno sheet for you comparing Lts and C-5 vette manifolds.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...est/index.html

If cast vette manifolds can do that doesn't it seem logical that shorties will work just as well if not better.

I bought my shorties for 100 bucks how much did you pay for yours? It also seems to me that some people don't mind them.
I paid $500 NEW & SHIPPED for polished high quality headers. u got a deal worth gettiing IMO. but i still wouldnt have used the shorties just my preference.

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
on a side note i picked up 30 rwhp horsepower on a mustang dyno with my LPP headers and magnaflow exhaust over my stock 00 manifolds and chokemaster.
LPP ftw!! i love mine

and btw i think hacking off the muffler and gutting the cats would yield more power for the money than lts or shorties. but that doesn't mean id do it.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dlively11
first off, I cant believe this thread is still going! lol Anyway

did u guys know he posted this SAME thread on ls1gto.com and got pretty much the same results as here. i guess it wasnt enough? google it(funny)

you're perfect at twisting the raw data and ignoring important ancillary factors in order to promote your agenda. Feeling oppressed?

he he ha ha, this was a good laugh
Old 11-02-2009, 03:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MurphyTex

What a joke the title of this thread is, 43 HP gain from some headers? cmon LTs wont give you nothing close to that. Maybe 25 whp depending on cam, heads, intake, ect.
Ive seen some Cali members sig info & many of them have LTs. How are they getting through, passing inspection? I say move out of that silly state & LTs are no longer an issue.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:10 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
You need to do research before you open your mouth. Because the valve hangs open longer it acts like more duration but it is very minimal hence 1 to 3 degrees with rockers. Go ask a knowldgeable engine builder. Here is an article to read, go to the bottom. Its a ford article but it applies to all pushrod motors.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2001/10/rockerarms/
um.. no. Maybe try a little reading comprehension.

Maybe this simple arithmetic will help you understand.

What is 0 lift times a 1.7 rocker ratio? It is 0.
What is 0 lift times a 1.85 rocker ratio? That's right, it's still 0!

ok, then..

What is 0.001 lift times a 1.7 rocker ratio? It is .0017
What is 0.001 lift times a 1.85 rocker ratio? It is .00185

What does that mean??
Seat to seat does not change! The valve is open for the same amount of time independant of rocker ratio!
Good job class!

Will duration at various lifts across the lobe area change? Of course it will! Why? Because you are lifting the valve to higher lifts in the same given time vs the smaller rocker ratio. The article is correct in stating that the cam is slightly "bigger" at .050" but total duration does not change. You inference of that is what is wrong here.

I hope my lesson has helped you understand that changing rocker ratio does not change total duration.

You're welcome. And maybe you need to find a more "knowledgeable" engine builder.

Last edited by Paint_It_Black; 11-02-2009 at 03:15 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01'SSLSX
first off, I cant believe this thread is still going! lol Anyway

did u guys know he posted this SAME thread on ls1gto.com and got pretty much the same results as here. i guess it wasnt enough? google it(funny)

you're perfect at twisting the raw data and ignoring important ancillary factors in order to promote your agenda. Feeling oppressed?

he he ha ha, this was a good laugh

I posted up a dyno sheet and lots of other LS2 bolt on cars numbers. If that seems like "twisting data" I guess you could call BS on pretty much every single thread on these forums if you tried. Agenda, what agenda ? Whats really funny are narrow minded sheep like you who only believe what the majority of other sheep tell them and cant think for themselves. you keep modding the "right way" why I will keep modding my own way and going faster for less . Can you say " baaaaa " ?

Since this clearly didnt work out for you maybe you should go back to PMing me like before

Last edited by dlively11; 11-02-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually, with larger rockers, seat to seat isn't changing, so you're wrong on the duration change. The valve will lift farther and faster with the 1.85s vs the stock 1.7s, so the lift is what changes.

Keep your nose in the books and try to be more knowledgable when you post.
um.. no. Maybe try a little reading comprehension.

Maybe this simple arithmetic will help you understand.

What is 0 lift times a 1.7 rocker ratio? It is 0.
What is 0 lift times a 1.85 rocker ratio? That's right, it's still 0!

ok, then..

What is 0.001 lift times a 1.7 rocker ratio? It is .0017
What is 0.001 lift times a 1.85 rocker ratio? It is .00185

What does that mean??
Seat to seat does not change! The valve is open for the same amount of time independant of rocker ratio!
Good job class!

Will duration at various lifts across the lobe area change? Of course it will! Why? Because you are lifting the valve to higher lifts in the same given time vs the smaller rocker ratio. The article is correct in stating that the cam is slightly "bigger" at .050" but total duration does not change. You inference of that is what is wrong here.

I hope my lesson has helped you understand that changing rocker ratio does not change total duration.

You're welcome. And maybe you need to find a more "knowledgeable" engine builder.
Well in your first post you were adamant that duration did not change and in your second post you somewhat agree that it changes. A little retraction of statment there?

I never stated anywhere in my posts that the duration changes over the whole duration of the lobe.

I can be the bigger man here and admit I was wrong about the valve hanging open longer, it does not, the speed of the valve being opened is what changes. I don't know what I was thinking.

We can both agree that a bigger ratio rocker has an effect on duration somewhere in the lobe of the cam.

Quick Reply: 43 WHP gain with shorties, why such a bad rap ?