Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-pipe design

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default X-pipe design

I was looking at different x-pipe designs for a custom exhaust i'm going to get built. The thing I wondered is what design is better. Design one is a stamped shell, larger volume center it appears, a large open plenum really. This design looks just like the universal x-pipe Magnaflow sells, so i'm guessing it's a decent design.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SXP4-...Q5fAccessories
The internal pics of ^ are a little further down in the link.

Then there's the two pipes welded together side by side style
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BI...T/?image=large
This one looks very similar to a Dr. Gas "X-over" for less than half the price.

The last one is this http://www.bsmexhaust.com/catalog/pr...ls.php?id=1434
This pypes x-pipe meets at a 90 degree angle. no "plenum". Which one would you guys go with being on a budget? Thanks for the help.

On a side note- would I be wrong in thinking that longtubes, x-pipe, long 4" tips as dumps, and two 26" Power Sticks will sound good on a mild gen 1 350? I'm thinking it'll be very nice.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I dont think it matters to much. As they have a little bit different locations for inlets and outlets, I would go with whichever fits you car better. With that being said, I personally like the stamped shell one. Not exactly sure why, it just looks to give the exhaust gases more freedom to go where they want.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I dont think it matters to much. As they have a little bit different locations for inlets and outlets, I would go with whichever fits you car better. With that being said, I personally like the stamped shell one. Not exactly sure why, it just looks to give the exhaust gases more freedom to go where they want.
The Pypes and Flowtech are the superior (siamesed) design. The Magnaflow is a glorified H-pipe. The idea is not to allow the exhaust to go where it wants, but to direct it to be released to the other side since one side is filled with pressure and the other side is pressureless.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
The Pypes and Flowtech are the superior (siamesed) design. The Magnaflow is a glorified H-pipe. The idea is not to allow the exhaust to go where it wants, but to direct it to be released to the other side since one side is filled with pressure and the other side is pressureless.
That's what I was thinking. Also, the stamped design's center section is the same whether you get 2.25", 2.5", or the 3" pipe version. Too much volume. With all that volume I wouldn't think that it can really get a good scavenging effect/vacuum and I would think it would lose velocity too. Now the decision for pipe size. I will go with 2.25" for sure if I can find a shop that will do mandrel bends for a decent price. Wouldn't smooth crush bent 2.5" be about the same as mandrel 2.25"? Just a desmogged '72 882 head 350. Performer manifold and baby cam in the future unless i go with patriot vortec heads. I'm also building for torque so y'all would go with 2.25" right?
Old 11-02-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thats rediculous garbage you just made up off the top of your head My exhaust likes to go where it wants so I let it. I have neither of those posted above either
Old 11-02-2009, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

Sorry if I made you feel stupid, but here you go....

Thats rediculous garbage you just made up off the top of your head My exhaust likes to go where it wants so I let it. I have neither of those posted above either
Old 11-02-2009, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx
That's what I was thinking. Also, the stamped design's center section is the same whether you get 2.25", 2.5", or the 3" pipe version. Too much volume. With all that volume I wouldn't think that it can really get a good scavenging effect/vacuum and I would think it would lose velocity too. Now the decision for pipe size. I will go with 2.25" for sure if I can find a shop that will do mandrel bends for a decent price. Wouldn't smooth crush bent 2.5" be about the same as mandrel 2.25"? Just a desmogged '72 882 head 350. Performer manifold and baby cam in the future unless i go with patriot vortec heads. I'm also building for torque so y'all would go with 2.25" right?
I would definitely go with 2.5" mandrel bent tubing. A 90 degree 2.5" compression bent pipe can be reduced to around 1" and the 2.25" mandrel bent pipe will hold you back especially in stock form. The smaller pipes (2.25) will not create more torque.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

It was a joke asshat. My point was what the OP is debating is trivial. Whatever fits his setup best is what I would choose. Sound difference is neglible as well, although you will hear plenty of arguements about that too. I have run both X and H, all else being the same. Carry on
Old 11-02-2009, 07:30 PM
11 Second Club

It was a joke asshat. My point was what the OP is debating is trivial. Whatever fits his setup best is what I would choose. Sound difference is neglible as well, although you will hear plenty of arguements about that too. I have run both X and H, all else being the same. Carry on
Excellent contribution...
Old 11-02-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would definitely go with 2.5" mandrel bent tubing. A 90 degree 2.5" compression bent pipe can be reduced to around 1" and the 2.25" mandrel bent pipe will hold you back especially in stock form. The smaller pipes (2.25) will not create more torque.
Do you have any proof of this??? It sounds like complete BS.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

Do you have any proof of this??? It sounds like complete BS!
I am sure it would sound like B.S. to someone with your mentality and education. j/k

These are both 2.5" pipes bent at a 45 degree angle. They were both cut at the center point of the bend. The pipe on the left is compression bent and the pipe on the right is mandrel bent. Imagine what a 90 degree bend would look like!

Old 11-03-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

I always heard as a generic rule of thumb that flow was cut down to 80% of original when using crush bends. Mandrel bends flow 95+% of original diameter.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a 350 making a whopping 200 or so horsepower but 310 ft/lb of torque. i'm trying to maximize torque. Factory exhaust was 2" off the manifolds into a 2.5" T, not even a y really. I posted here because the question was originally about an x-pipe and no one goes to the sbc section. I'm sure the ls1 guys have more experience with x pipes. I think i'm going with crush 2.5" and the flowtech x with medium power sticks and long tubes. Should sound alot better than it actually goes

Quick Reply: X-pipe design