Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**NEW** 102mm Cathedral Port - F.A.S.T. Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 06:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TSP sells the the LSXR for $950
Old 01-19-2010, 07:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
This just cracks me up
The abominable snowman is the best
Me too, the abominable snowman is awesome!

Originally Posted by SHovV
i dont see what the big deal is that they're gonna stop makin the 92mm. it was alomst 1k when it first came out. now the 102mm is out, buy it, put a 92mm tb on it and its basically the same thing as a 92mm intake, except now you have more room to grow.
Wow, actual common sense on the forums......I'm almost speechless.

Originally Posted by LSxPwrDZ
I completely understand R&D work but it is not nearly as expensive as we are lead on to believe!

All this makes me wonder how ITB's would work on a LS1!
Common sense gone...back to the regularly scheduled programming.....

Now lets take it farther; lets be upset about $1000 intake then talk about a $4000-$8000 intake instead...

Last edited by SweetS10V8; 01-19-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSxPwrDZ
I completely understand R&D work but it is not nearly as expensive as we are lead on to believe!
O really? How much did it cost you in R&D last time you designed a intake? How much did you pay your engineers to design the product, how much did you pay R&D employees to run test after tests after test. How much did you pay the warehouse people to deal with all the product. How much did you pay for the graphic designers to design the packaging and the printers to print it. How much did you pay for marketing of the new product (SEMA, magazine adds etc..), how much did you pay for the sales people to sell this intake? If you think you know so much then please tell us these answers.

and thats just scratching the surface of what cost are involved in making somthing like this
Old 01-19-2010, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say it would cost a half million or more.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
Me too, the abominable snowman is awesome!

Common sense gone...back to the regularly scheduled programming.....

Now lets take it farther; lets be upset about $1000 intake then talk about a $4000-$8000 intake instead...
The snowman is awsome!

The ITB thing was more of a joke than a direct comparison to a FAST intake... I'm fully aware of the cost of ITB's and their effects on an engine.

By now there shouldn't be nearly as much R&D work in these Fast Intakes because there isn't much that has changed. I'm not gonna get into an argument over R&D cost because thats not the topic at hand. The price is high on a FAST intake period regardless. I'm sure everyone will agree on that.

The only reason I'd get rid of my 90 for this new one is for the 102mm throttle opening. I'm sure it would help my 403 out to have a bigger TB.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have to point out that there is conflicting evidence on needing more then a ported 90 mm tb on a 402 or in your case 403. Initial thoughts on my 90 to 95mm swap were thought to be good, but in retrospect popular opinion of those involved in the conversation is that the gains were from doing a dyno pull after final tuning and not the larger tb. The initial gains posted from last year were due to unresolved tuning issues at the other shop I was involved with. No motivation for posting this other then to have you think twice before you get one of the new huge Tb's unless you really need it. I am 100% happy with my 95 mm, but would've been happier with the money in my pocket that I most likely didn't need to spend.

*If you do feel you need a larger TB, give Tech sponsor Terry Lewis a call. (REV)
Old 01-19-2010, 09:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
I have to point out that there is conflicting evidence on needing more then a ported 90 mm tb on a 402 or in your case 403. Initial thoughts on my 90 to 95mm swap were thought to be good, but in retrospect popular opinion of those involved in the conversation is that the gains were from doing a dyno pull after final tuning and not the larger tb. The initial gains posted from last year were due to unresolved tuning issues at the other shop I was involved with. No motivation for posting this other then to have you think twice before you get one of the new huge Tb's unless you really need it. I am 100% happy with my 95 mm, but would've been happier with the money in my pocket that I most likely didn't need to spend.

*If you do feel you need a larger TB, give Tech sponsor Terry Lewis a call. (REV)
That's good to know!! If thats the case I'll just keep what I got and my money lol!
Old 01-20-2010, 02:40 AM
TECH Junkie

I agree the FAST is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY overpriced. As far as R&D goes, explain to me why all the other intakes out there cost about half the price, some less... Sure, they don't make us much power but over a 50% price increase over all the other intakes on the market doesn't justify the cost/power ratio sorry...

They are PROUD, they are getting what they ask, and they are ripping people off because of it. Nothing will change while people continue to purchase it, end of story...

FAST Intakes = Golden Plastic
Old 01-20-2010, 03:01 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rev Xtreme isn't a sponsor any longer, but they do make 90, 95, 100, 105, 110, and 115mm throttle bodies.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:03 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I carry the RevXtreme lineup

http://estore.websitepros.com/212053...hrottle+Bodies

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 01-20-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have been doing some shopping for a new intake myself, i saw this sucker and i thought omfg its amazing but i opted to go with the 92mm instead i also got the FAST big mouth 92mm throttle body. so far i ahve only seen the big mouth for the 102mm as well. unless your running some serious forced induction, would something that big really give you that much more?
Old 01-20-2010, 05:58 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Before you sell your intake and buy a bigger combo, you need to collect some data and see if you're still pulling vacuum at high rpms. Easiest way is to turn on the ignition without the car running and see what the map reading is, that's atmospheric pressure. Then do a WOT run to redline and see if your map reading drops compaired to the engine off reading. If you're not pulling a vacum in the intake, then you're not going to see much gain from going to a better flowing intake manifold, the airflow restriction isn't in the intake tract.

But if at WOT, you see your MAP values drop, then you may be looking at a gain by going larger. Making more power is simply (well, not so simple) finding where the restriction to flow is, and getting it to flow better. Is it the cylinder heads? Is it the exhaust?
Old 01-20-2010, 06:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Rev Xtreme isn't a sponsor any longer, but they do make 90, 95, 100, 105, 110, and 115mm throttle bodies.
I didn't realize that. Sorry for the non sponsor mention.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Before you sell your intake and buy a bigger combo, you need to collect some data and see if you're still pulling vacuum at high rpms. Easiest way is to turn on the ignition without the car running and see what the map reading is, that's atmospheric pressure. Then do a WOT run to redline and see if your map reading drops compaired to the engine off reading. If you're not pulling a vacum in the intake, then you're not going to see much gain from going to a better flowing intake manifold, the airflow restriction isn't in the intake tract.

But if at WOT, you see your MAP values drop, then you may be looking at a gain by going larger. Making more power is simply (well, not so simple) finding where the restriction to flow is, and getting it to flow better. Is it the cylinder heads? Is it the exhaust?
Interesting post. Time to set up efilive and get a graph of the MAP on some speed runs. Once the latest snow melts anyway.

Quick Reply: **NEW** 102mm Cathedral Port - F.A.S.T. Intake