Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alternator charging issues, any advice would be great.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default alternator charging issues, any advice would be great.

Hi guys after searching for a few hours today i am still as stumped as i was before i started searching, any way here is the issue i have a ls1 swap in a 71 datsun, the motor and computer are from a 98 or 99 F body, the problem is i never get much charging from the alternator, i am used to seeing 14+ from any charging system and this one sees 13.5 at best and soon as the motor is warmed up and the fans and lights are on its more like 12.9-13.0. this concerns me since i am boosted and the more voltage the less chance of a misfire. the battery is new, the wires are all new and of proper size, the swap was done by 417 motorsports and its all top notch. the single red wire to the pcm is fine as well. the alternator is a reman unit and about 6 months old. i thought that maybe the electric fan and twin fuel pumps and lights ect might be to much draw for the alternator but after learning more about it i see that many camaros are running the same parts with no issues. the voltage at the battery, gauge and fuse box are all exactly the same so its definitely the amount of voltage the alternator is producing. so here is what i wonder, since the pcm is in control of the charging can i tell it to charge more threw hp tuners? does any one make a higher out put alt that is the exact same external dimensions? i cannot use any other external size alt my turbo set up just barely clears now. what other ideas and options are there? i just want more then 12.9-13.0 at all times. what i think is happening is the pcm is thinking its ok to turn down the charging after the cars warmed up, is there any way to take the pcm out of the loop so i charge full blast at all times? i saw that the older ls1 alternators use a resistor and a second 12volt wire. but the style i have "must" be connected to the pcm to work. sigh.. im stumped.

Last edited by lavoy; 01-12-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just take it off and have it tested at the zone or your local parts store. That way it will rule out PCM or wiring.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Goldcuffs
Just take it off and have it tested at the zone or your local parts store. That way it will rule out PCM or wiring.
most those places are idiots and that aside it seems to only do it once warm so how would i duplicate that on a test bench?
Old 01-12-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a reman from autozone and they tested it and it checked out fine. I was having charging issues at the time and found out the exciter wire was damaged. I replaced the wire and it charged fine but it was weak like you were saying. I think the remans just aren't very strong because when it's hot and I have the a/c running, cooling fans running, and radio on, the charge goes down to 12.9-13.0. There are upgraded alternator recommendations in the general maintenance forum you might want to check that out. I definitely need to do this also.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine used to pulse alot and voltage dropped when the fans would come on. I had it rebuilt to a 160amp and its awesome!!
Old 01-13-2010, 02:15 AM
12 Second Club

idler pulleys helps too check them out and replace them, that did the trick for me
Old 01-13-2010, 07:07 AM
Staging Lane

agree with the tensioner pulley, i dont trust reman parts on hi-po toys, being myself id toss the 160 amp or bigger alternator on and bite the brand new cost
Old 01-13-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lavoy
...as the motor is warmed up and the fans and lights are on its more like 12.9-13.0.
Originally Posted by MTN_Z
when it's hot and I have the a/c running, cooling fans running, and radio on, the charge goes down to 12.9-13.0.
Same here. Is this arbitrarily a "problem" or does it just bother you? It never bothered me until now. Now this thread makes me unsure if I'm charging correctly (although the battery is always up)...
Old 01-13-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

I called around and all the local parts stores say they only show one option, where do i purchase a higher out put model?
Old 01-13-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Same here. Is this arbitrarily a "problem" or does it just bother you? It never bothered me until now. Now this thread makes me unsure if I'm charging correctly (although the battery is always up)...
I never remembered it dropping that low with the stock alternator, so when I see it below the halfway point on the voltmeter it just seems a little abnormal. I'm sure it's fine, but I would like to upgrade the alternator eventually.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

Powermaster Alternator is what I went with a few months ago. Been great ever since!
Old 01-14-2010, 04:13 AM
TECH Regular

i got a 160 amp from local o'rileys(thats all they had in stock at the time) now somethings acting up hoping its a wire
Old 01-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Launching!

check out the power bastards on ws6store website
Old 01-14-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok a little update . called two local alternator repair shops, told them what was going on, both said to move the pin over to the second in from the right and run switched 12 volts to it and report back, so i did voltage went up to 14.2 cold and dropped to 13.1-13.2 hot the one shop offered to test it for free if i brought it in so i did and it passed every stress test with perfect results and the wave pattern was perfect it was holding a steady 110 amps and peaked at 130. so i was back to square one, they suggested i look over the wires again so i decided to run another heavy wire from the alternator to the battery and a new trigger wire into the dash to a 12 volt switched source, after doing this the voltage went up to 14.5 cold and drops to 13.6 hot so im still getting a drop but i can live with 13.6 , just wish i knew what was making it drop after a while when it dont do it on the test bench. any way i figured that i would report in what i found, for those of you who want to run a ls1 alt with no pcm all you do is run 12 volts to the second pin in from the right as you look at the back of the alt with the pulley facing away both shops assured me this is perfectly fine to do. oh and they also told me that the 98 style and 99 style ls1 alternators are actually the same regulator part number.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Teching In

I was having a fluctuating voltmeter bouncing between 13 and 14 volts, and so I replaced the battery thinking it was on its way out. The problem didn't get any better with a new battery, so I started thinking about the alternator.

After reading some of the posts about the exciter wire, I pulled off the top connector tonight to inspect the excitor wire and connection, and plugged it back in, and now my problem is gone. The wire wasn't broken, but I think it just had a bad/dirty connection, and just unplugging it and plugging it back in was enough to make a more solid electrical connection on the pin. So I think I have fingered the problem. Thanks for pointing me in this direction, you saved me buying a new alternator.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Teching In

I was having a fluctuating voltmeter bouncing between 13 and 14 volts, and so I replaced the battery thinking it was on its way out. The problem didn't get any better with a new battery, so I started thinking about the alternator.

After reading some of the posts about the exciter wire, I pulled off the top connector tonight to inspect the excitor wire and connection, and plugged it back in, and now my problem is gone. The wire wasn't broken, but I think it just had a bad/dirty connection, and just unplugging it and plugging it back in was enough to make a more solid electrical connection on the pin. So I think I have fingered the problem. Thanks for pointing me in this direction, you saved me buying a new alternator.

Quick Reply: alternator charging issues, any advice would be great.