Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New OBX headers came today!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New OBX headers came today!

The new set of OBX headers came for the 02 Z28 today. I am guessing they put the driver side o2 bung on the top side of the collector because of clearance with the drain plug? Not sure. Hopefully there will be no clearance issues there.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

mine got here today too, not sure when I'll get at intalling them though.

did you get the set that comes with the y pipe? Or the stand alones?
Old 02-15-2010, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

I have new plugs, plug wires, locking header bolts and a set of o2 extensions coming. I am going to reuse the stock sensors. I did this with the LT1 and never threw a SES light. Not sure on the gaskets, I think they will be fine. I have a set of 02 sims. The sims i got from a friend. I will use until $$$ for a tune. It will be some time before the install. However, when I do get around to it I will try and post some pics. Can never have enough pics of install jobs.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Got the y pipe with it. The y pipe looks angled weird, but I think this will make adjustments easier. LOL! You know how that **** goes. I was a little taken back with the o2 bung location. Has anyone had any issues with these or is there enough room between the floor and the collector pipe.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Anyone want to loan me a lift!!!! LOL! Maybe a back that isn't 35 years old.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, my plugs and bolts are on the way too, I was going to get a set of MDS wires, but I have my doubts about the amount of power created by aftermarket plug wires.

I found only 1 actual dyno comparison, done by some honda guys, and it actually showed that the factory honda plug wires slightly out powered three(I think) sets of aftermarkets, and delivered a smoother curve than any of them. They reasoned that this was because at high rpm they were getting more mis-fires with the aftermarkets. That was enough to make me want to keep my $60, at least until the stockers start giving trouble.

Yeah the drivers side location does seem funny, but I've read as much as I could find on these headers and never found a report of O2 location problems.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thats really really wierd...
Old 02-16-2010, 12:12 AM
Staging Lane

uhhhhhhhhhhh, makes me a little nervous posting this here but...... here goes lol

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...rticle_id=8680

An alternative explaination might be that they did three pulls and heat soak might have been a factor for the aftermarkets......... at any rate it shows there's very little difference.

Last edited by Wheels_78; 02-16-2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

post up pictures of the obx headers, i have heard that they are decent quality......
Old 02-16-2010, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

yup i wanna see too
Old 02-16-2010, 03:54 AM
Staging Lane

Old 02-24-2010, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Put my headers in Mon and Tues. I would definitely suggest these to anyone wanting or wondering about the OBX Ebay headers... Only needed to lift the front end of my Z28. Its not lowered so I did not need to jack up the back. I used 6 ton jack stands and they was only on third lock. Passenger side and driver side slid in with no problem. 5 seconds tops. I was taking my time. Used a lot of PB blaster on bolts, but just to be cautious. Had to get a pipe spreader to open up mid pipe a bit. I would say the hardest thing was getting the spark plug boots off. I did not want to take any chances ******* these up because I was reusing them. The second day was Y pipe. Very easy, but if you buy them and they come with springs dont use them. They suck. The only thing U will have to do is be mindful of the steering Knuckle bolt. Grind that bitch down. Put it back in and grind the other end while it is installed. If you dont it will touch the header and the car will not turn. I almost took out my mailbox trying to get the ****** back in the garage. LOL! You will feel it. Sounds ******* awesome. The resonators keeps the y pipe from having a loud rasp and I like the fact that the magnaflow keeps it quiet until throttle.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Three things U need to be aware of before installing these headers... If you buy the the ones that come with y pipe and clamps. Go buy or order 2 3/4in flat band clamps. You could also just get them welded up. I don't plan on doing so this will make for easier removal. As I mentioned before you must grind down the steering knuckle on both sides of bolt. I used a dremel. Just leave enough to get a socket to byte. Also before you put the passenger side header on. Notch the **** out of the K member. Don't be shy. Of course you could just buy the poly motor mounts and this will solve two of the three. By the way, I just reused old wires. I figured I would use them just in case they was touching a primary. Eventually, I will use them.