Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS-6 water crossover ?

Old 02-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS-6 water crossover ?

I am currently installing LS-6 intake and I got the water crossover kit for it; WHERE the hell does it go. Anyone done a write-up on this?

99T/A if it matters.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

it goes under the intake mani.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Launching!

Here ya go:

http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5
Old 02-17-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have the kit with the Front Crossover and the Blocks for the rear?

If so, the LS1 Crossover, that fits under the LS1 Intake, needs to be removed and the LS6 blocks are fitted into the rear where the rear of the LS1 lines were bolted. Then the front crossover bolts in where the front of the LS1 lines fit.

You can also retain your LS1 lines (and not need to use the LS6 Crossover & Blocks) under the LS6 Intake by chiseling some of the ribs from the bottom of the LS6 Intake. This will allow for enough room.

TheBlueKnight has a great LS6 Intake Installation Video that includes removal of the ribs if you're interested. Here's the link...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...old-video.html

The ls1howto.com link in the post above is a great write-up, as well. Good luck, dude.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Do you have the kit with the Front Crossover and the Blocks for the rear?

If so, the LS1 Crossover, that fits under the LS1 Intake, needs to be removed and the LS6 blocks are fitted into the rear where the rear of the LS1 lines were bolted. Then the front crossover bolts in where the front of the LS1 lines fit.

You can also retain your LS1 lines under the LS6 Intake by chiseling some of the ribs from the bottom of the LS6 Intake. This will allow for enough room.

TheBlueKnight has a great LS6 Intake Installation Video that includes removal of the ribs if you're interested. Here's the link...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...old-video.html

The ls1howto.com link in the post above is a great write-up, as well. Good luck, dude.

Yes I do have the kit with the block-offs and crossover tube. (Thanks SPEEDTWEEKERZ) I did see the video but I didn't want to chisel the ribs off the intake. I know it isn't hard to do but I hate doing things when I believe there is a better way. Thanks for the link. I am still getting used to the newer cars. I have been an old school SBC guy for EVER. I really like the LS engines but I am still finding out that I have lots of DUMB, simple questions. Thanks for the help fellas.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 ^^ Just chisle the ribs off of the LS6 intake. Sell your coolant cross over kit and use the money to go to Dennys and get a superbird. It's a grilled cheese with ham and fries, freakin delicious!
Old 02-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
+1 ^^ Just chisle the ribs off of the LS6 intake. Sell your coolant cross over kit and use the money to go to Dennys and get a superbird. It's a grilled cheese with ham and fries, freakin delicious!

Just a note to say good job on your LS-6 intake vid. It was very helpful. Thanx
Old 02-17-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by C LOWERY
Yes I do have the kit with the block-offs and crossover tube. (Thanks SPEEDTWEEKERZ) I did see the video but I didn't want to chisel the ribs off the intake. I know it isn't hard to do but I hate doing things when I believe there is a better way. Thanks for the link. I am still getting used to the newer cars. I have been an old school SBC guy for EVER. I really like the LS engines but I am still finding out that I have lots of DUMB, simple questions. Thanks for the help fellas.
The reason for keeping the LS1 lines under the LS6 Intake is to retain coolant flow to the block at the #7 & #8 cylinders. With the LS6 kit you use the blocks at the rear that stops flow completely.

I can completely understand why guys chisel the ribs to keep this, but you're right it does seem like its not the proper way to do this.

I actually went with my own method. I used two of the Front LS6 Crossovers (one at the front and one at the rear) and plumbed them together with fuel line and a T-fitting and then into the coolant line. This way I wouldn't need to grind the ribs and I could retain coolant flow to the rear cylinders. I've yet to drive the car since completing the install (******' Winter anyways), but it seems to be functioning perfectly the number of times I've started the vehicle.

I hope this helps and if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited by Mumbles; 02-17-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
LMAO! Awesome! Thats sounds really good! LOL
Old 02-17-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mumbles
The reason for keeping the LS1 lines under the LS6 Intake is to retain coolant flow to the block at the #7 & #8 cylinders. With the LS6 kit you use the blocks at the rear that stops flow completely.

I can completely understand why guys chisel the ribs to keep this, but you're right it does seem like its not the proper way to do this.

I actually went with my own method. I used two of the Front LS6 Crossovers (one at the front and one at the rear) and plumbed them together with a T-fitting and then into the coolant line. This way I wouldn't need to grind the ribs and I could retain coolant flow to the rear cylinders. I've yet to drive the car since completing the install (******' Winter anyways), but it seems to be functioning perfectly the number of times I've started the vehicle.

I hope this helps and if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.
I almost did this too but just went with the LS6 kit. If its good enough for a Zo6, its good enough for my car i figure. As un understand it, it doesnt really circulate coolant as much as it just allows some pressure to flow to equalize front to rear.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Thanks again guys. All good info for me to consider.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by deelong4002
I almost did this too but just went with the LS6 kit. If its good enough for a Zo6, its good enough for my car i figure. As un understand it, it doesnt really circulate coolant as much as it just allows some pressure to flow to equalize front to rear.
I had the same thought before doing mine. Then I decided to upgrade my PCV system at the same time with the LS6 Valley Cover and a REvXtreme Catch Can.

Everywhere I researched told me the LS1 coolant lines will not fit between the LS6 Intake and the LS6 Valley Cover. And with the factory PCV system removed, it gave me the perfect spot to plumb a coolant line from the rear, between where the passenger side head meets the intake. So thats what I did. I even ran the coolant line through the old PVC's foam padding to give a stock appearance.

This is definitely more expensive than either of the other methods because you have to purchase two LS6 Front Crossovers. But I like with the way it turned out, so I'm glad I did it.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thead is back from the dead. I have a FAST92 and I intend on doing the dual LS6 crossover tubes connected by fuel line unless someone has good information to consider.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

http://www.kurturbanperformance.com/...or-system.html

That right there. A little more pricey, but still one of the best options. We sell them as well from KUP.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats a beautiful piece theres no doubt but its total overkill for what I'm doing. If you can get it to me for one hell of a price break I would buy it for sure! If you can please feel free to pm me your best price.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Alas, our price is the same. There is not a whole lot of room in them. In order to keep them inexpensive. Most billet stuff is way over that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS-6 water crossover ?