Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tools Needed For Header Install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tools Needed For Header Install?

Okay, I'm getting ready to install my headers in the next week or two, this time I don't have a shop to do it in, so I'm collecting tools from friends, I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Jack and jack stands.
Sockets, deep and normal.
Extensions, joints etc.
Breaker bar.
Drop lamps are helpful.
Anything else?
Old 12-27-2003, 01:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ShadowLightCSU
Okay, I'm getting ready to install my headers in the next week or two, this time I don't have a shop to do it in, so I'm collecting tools from friends, I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Jack and jack stands.
Sockets, deep and normal.
Extensions, joints etc.
Breaker bar.
Drop lamps are helpful.
Anything else?
If you don't have a sazall borrow one . the I pipe leading to the muffler may have to be shortened by about 3 or 4 inches and doing this with a hacksaw is a pain Also good time to change spark plugs.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

This was of great help http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00944835000 when doing a friends LT's, a 1" extension comes in handy also. The sawsall wild thing mentioned can also come in handy if you need to cut off the casting ears ( that's what I call them ).

Al
Old 12-27-2003, 02:40 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looks like you have just about everything. i used the hacksaw to cut my I-pipe, worked but was time consumgin.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:43 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I found the ratchet with a stubby handle to be a very valuable tool. Also a rubber mallet to tap the new parts on and a pry bar to rock the trans if necessary. Also have a can of WD-40 or PB Blaster (recommended) handy for the tough nuts and bolts. It doesn't hurt to have a friend handy to help hold the header up in place while it's being bolted into place. I took advantage of the extra room and changed plugs and wires while I was in there, but then again it was due for them anyway. I also kept old envelopes from all the junk mail that I get for organizing the many nuts and bolts that will be removed and reinstalled. I just marked on the evelope what was inside and where it came.

here's pics of my install....

http://www.geocities.com/y2k_ta/smr0...erinstall.html
Old 12-27-2003, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

If your are going to change plugs and wires do it also. Also I found out it was much easier removing the coil packs to make more room to unbolt the stock manifolds and bolt on your new headers. The header bolts and the coil pack bolts are 10mm. The back coil pack bolts closest to the firewall on both sides can be a real bitch to remove but trust me it will be alot easier with your install if you remove the coil packs. Plus you don't have to put those back two bolts back in because there are 4 other bolts holding the packs on.
Good luck and make sure you have a buddy helping you.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:58 AM
TECH Resident

I think that ratchet wrenches would be a must (did not have any until this X-mas). Also I found 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch drive ratchets worked better for different plugs and header bolts. That tool linked above worked great. Just have a multitood of tools handy and things should go smoothly. As always you will find a helper during certain times will be priceless.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not a tool but I would also put a shop rag down into the motor mount opening, if you drop a bolt or plug down there you'll understand why it's a good idea.