Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loose lid

Old 03-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loose lid

Hey folks,

I'm finally starting to play with my 02 WS6. I put on an SLP lid and the smooth bellows. I now understand that the accordian bellows' flexibility helps with fitment of the lid. Now with the new lid and bellows, I can't quite get the lid to fit perfectly. Without the bellows it snaps well into place. But with the bellows it sits too far forward by about a millimeter or two, and on the back it sits high by about a quarter-inch...

So the question is, do you guys know if I have to worry about it not being airtight? I can't feel any obvious draft around the edges that would indicate air being sucked in. Is there a safe way I can test, with some kind of smoke? Since the lid is post filter, I'm not sure what would be a safe test 'smoke', in case it does get sucked in...

Should I be worried? Is that little bit of give worth anything? Maybe I should just put more foam insulation around the inner edge of the lid?

thanks for the upcoming advice and opinions...
Old 03-01-2010, 08:19 PM
12 Second Club

did you have all the band clamps loose? if not then loosen them all and try to close/snap the lid properly, a mil shouldn't be that hard to get with all those pieces. then tighten eveyrthing back up..
Old 03-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cowboysfan
did you have all the band clamps loose? if not then loosen them all and try to close/snap the lid properly, a mil shouldn't be that hard to get with all those pieces. then tighten eveyrthing back up..
Yes, I did. And yes, I agree. It's something with the overall fitment of the smooth bellows. Without it, the lid snaps in perfectly. That millimeter really ticked me off. I know I'm a noob, but it shouldn't be that difficult...

thanks!
Old 03-01-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Schmalgar
Hey folks,

I'm finally starting to play with my 02 WS6. I put on an SLP lid and the smooth bellows. I now understand that the accordian bellows' flexibility helps with fitment of the lid. Now with the new lid and bellows, I can't quite get the lid to fit perfectly. Without the bellows it snaps well into place. But with the bellows it sits too far forward by about a millimeter or two, and on the back it sits high by about a quarter-inch...

So the question is, do you guys know if I have to worry about it not being airtight? I can't feel any obvious draft around the edges that would indicate air being sucked in. Is there a safe way I can test, with some kind of smoke? Since the lid is post filter, I'm not sure what would be a safe test 'smoke', in case it does get sucked in...

Should I be worried? Is that little bit of give worth anything? Maybe I should just put more foam insulation around the inner edge of the lid?

thanks for the upcoming advice and opinions...
take out the four 10 mm bolts that holds the entire thing in place and push it back as far as needed while putting the bolts back in. You will see what I mean when you take a look. It can be pushed back or forward about a 1/8 to a 1/4 inch. Should give you enough room to secure the lid.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by edzsilverss
take out the four 10 mm bolts that holds the entire thing in place and push it back as far as needed while putting the bolts back in. You will see what I mean when you take a look. It can be pushed back or forward about a 1/8 to a 1/4 inch. Should give you enough room to secure the lid.
Thanks bud, I'll try that tomorrow!
Old 03-01-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks bud, I'll try that tomorrow!
If that don't work pm me and I have a old according stock bellow you can have if you pay to have it shipped. It's been painted a few times but it works great. I'd hit with black rattle can paint if I were you and bolt it on.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Banned

ok I lied about waiting til tomorrow, I had to go check it now... And I know it wasn't fitting right, as the clamps had popped loose while driving!

I was able to get about a quarter inch movement on that piece, just as you said. Now the lid does align correctly across the front. It still seems a bit high on the back end, but it did come with a foam strip for the inner back edge, I guess that's why. So I think it's in a better position now than before.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-02-2010, 01:47 AM
TECH Regular

ok I lied about waiting til tomorrow, I had to go check it now... And I know it wasn't fitting right, as the clamps had popped loose while driving!

I was able to get about a quarter inch movement on that piece, just as you said. Now the lid does align correctly across the front. It still seems a bit high on the back end, but it did come with a foam strip for the inner back edge, I guess that's why. So I think it's in a better position now than before.

Thanks for the tip!
sure thing man. This is a great site for help. If the SLP bellow is rubber, put that bitch in a boiling pan of water for a few minutes and soften it up some. It will flex if so. I'm not sure as I've never had one.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by edzsilverss
sure thing man. This is a great site for help. If the SLP bellow is rubber, put that bitch in a boiling pan of water for a few minutes and soften it up some. It will flex if so. I'm not sure as I've never had one.
Yeah, I believe it said it's fiberglass reinforced rubber. Certainly feels like rubber. Near as I can tell, that's the culprit. Because of its nature, it definitely has less give than the accordian bellows, and is holding everything up a smidge higher that it should. Seems like another degree or two on the bend is what's needed. Maybe what you're suggesting would let me reshape that bend just enough...

Actually, I had to dip the mouth of the lid itself into some hot water to expand it a bit, to get it onto the MAF. The instructions said it would be a tight fit, and a hair dryer would be useful. But as I am basically bald I don't own a hair dryer...
Old 03-02-2010, 02:30 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I believe it said it's fiberglass reinforced rubber. Certainly feels like rubber. Near as I can tell, that's the culprit. Because of its nature, it definitely has less give than the accordian bellows, and is holding everything up a smidge higher that it should. Seems like another degree or two on the bend is what's needed. Maybe what you're suggesting would let me reshape that bend just enough...

Actually, I had to dip the mouth of the lid itself into some hot water to expand it a bit, to get it onto the MAF. The instructions said it would be a tight fit, and a hair dryer would be useful. But as I am basically bald I don't own a hair dryer...
Hot water is your friend lol. Give it a try. It wont hurt anything. Just don't use the pot or pan afterwards if it has fiberglass in it. Like I said, I still have a stock one. Let me know if you need it. It would only cost about 5-7 bux to ship it. Try some baseball glove oil on it lol
Old 03-02-2010, 04:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

my SLP lid has bad fitment too.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Engine_HP
my SLP lid has bad fitment too.
Roger that. I'm not exactly happy to hear that, but I am glad to know I'm not the only one having this problem...
Old 03-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Launching!

Is it a ram-air car? If it is, the lid and filter sit up higher and can make it a little more difficult to get proper alignment.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:42 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my slp lid and slp bellow fit like **** i ditched it for an ftp lid fits great
Old 03-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Justus67
Is it a ram-air car? If it is, the lid and filter sit up higher and can make it a little more difficult to get proper alignment.
Yes it is, and that's interesting, did not know that...
Old 03-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by smok'nZ
my slp lid and slp bellow fit like **** i ditched it for an ftp lid fits great
Yeah I had looked at those too. The main difference was, I could pick up the SLP lid on Saturday, but I'd have to wait for the FTP lid to be shipped...

And frankly, I'm not very impressed with the quality of this thing either. It had a lot of rough plastic seems on the inside that I spent a while filing down. How was your FTP lid out of the box?

Search this Thread