Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 3/4 or 1 7/8 primaries..

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soundengineer
1 7/8 headres have been proven to make more power than 1 3/4 headers in all applications.. From stick cubes and no mods all the way up to big cubes and massive mods
the have also shown no loss of torque down low

in many tests the 1-7/8 headers followed the 1-3/4 headers exactly up to about 4000 rpm where the 1-7/8 headers started to pull away and make more power

if you can afford the cost difference... Buy the 1-7/8 headers
if you can't afford it... Save your money for a few more paychecks until you can
when you say 1-7/8 pull away and make more power top end how much rwhp and rwtq are we talking about 10-15rwhp/rwtq or more?
Old 03-08-2010, 03:01 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slowM6
when you say 1-7/8 pull away and make more power top end how much rwhp and rwtq are we talking about 10-15rwhp/rwtq or more?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...o-results.html

bone stock it isnt a huge diffference...but the more you mod, the bigger the gains will become

there was also a test done in super chevy or gm high performance of something that also showed 1-7/8 keeping the same as the 1-3/4 down low and making more power and torque up top

Last edited by soundengineer; 03-08-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...o-results.html

bone stock it isnt a huge diffference...but the more you mod, the bigger the gains will become

there was also a test done in super chevy or gm high performance of something that also showed 1-7/8 keeping the same as the 1-3/4 down low and making more power and torque up top
is this where you got your info from, the difference was an old set of 1 3/4 header design against a new 1 7/8 design on a supposedly stock engine. i asked these guys if there was a cam change or different heads or whatever had been done to the engine with no response. you can see they used a fast intake which would help power wise. the difference was 5 hp, yes i agree 1 7/8 will help if you have plans for future engine upgrades. but for the average guy just looking for some extra ooomph at lower rpm range, while driving on the street. my opinon is still no.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:49 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jam01
is this where you got your info from, the difference was an old set of 1 3/4 header design against a new 1 7/8 design on a supposedly stock engine. i asked these guys if there was a cam change or different heads or whatever had been done to the engine with no response. you can see they used a fast intake which would help power wise. the difference was 5 hp, yes i agree 1 7/8 will help if you have plans for future engine upgrades. but for the average guy just looking for some extra ooomph at lower rpm range, while driving on the street. my opinon is still no.
again..as I stated in a post above the last one...

down low there is no difference...
up high is where you see gains...even on a completely stock 346ci ls1....
if you see even small gains on a bone stock engine then you will see even more on a highly modified engine...

if longtubes are your only mod you ever plan on doing then quite possibly you may not be able to justify the small difference for the price increase...
however...some people can justify the difference...and more power is more power even if its only a few ponies

I personally have gone from 1-3/4 to 1-7/8 on a previous setup and saw a decent increase on a heads/cam 346ci in the upper RPM range
Old 03-09-2010, 05:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

again..as I stated in a post above the last one...

down low there is no difference...
up high is where you see gains...even on a completely stock 346ci ls1....
if you see even small gains on a bone stock engine then you will see even more on a highly modified engine...

if longtubes are your only mod you ever plan on doing then quite possibly you may not be able to justify the small difference for the price increase...
however...some people can justify the difference...and more power is more power even if its only a few ponies

I personally have gone from 1-3/4 to 1-7/8 on a previous setup and saw a decent increase on a heads/cam 346ci in the upper RPM range
i agree with you that if you plan to upgrade with more cubes and heads and such. when they did that comparison, they made it seem that using anything other than 1 7/8 was wasting money. for the average guy or girl looking for a little more power and noise in there street car, i think they would appreciate 1 3/4 better. the original post had more responses, either they were deleted or this is another, there was a lot more discussion on the pro's and cons.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jam01
i agree with you that if you plan to upgrade with more cubes and heads and such. when they did that comparison, they made it seem that using anything other than 1 7/8 was wasting money. for the average guy or girl looking for a little more power and noise in there street car, i think they would appreciate 1 3/4 better. the original post had more responses, either they were deleted or this is another, there was a lot more discussion on the pro's and cons.
If they are roughly the same price, (kooks, etc) running 1 3/4 over 1 7/8 is pointless. Why not have couple more hp increase now and even more down the road... Of course if you are on a budget then this doesn't really apply.