Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK SSI intake

Old 12-03-2011, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heat soak believers try this. Heat your oven up to 350 or so. Open it up and let the heat dissipate for a few seconds. Then put your hand in and out as fast as you can. See if you feel anything. Think air moving at 1000 cfm will?
Old 12-03-2011, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

Texhotrod and Blk98Vert have best detailed and truth behind the heat soak ordeal. I bet money that you will not see a tenth difference between a aluminum intake and plastic intake if they flowed the exact same on the same car.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What fuel rails are you guys running using this BBK SSI intake?
Old 02-23-2012, 10:09 AM
FormerVendor

I sell a good amount of the SSI intakes and usually match them right up with BBKs fuel rail kit. The prices are great and the fitment is awesome.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Stock rails
Old 02-24-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Old thread I know but, if aluminum was cheaper than nylon, composite, plastic or what ever you want to call it, GM's bean counters would have been all over it. Fast most likely followed suit if I had to guess...and that's a big guess.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would guess the BBK is alum because thats what they already know. Remember they have been making intakes, for lots of other cars, and imports even. For years before the FAST was around. Maybe even before the LS1 came out, not sure on that?
Old 12-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Teching In

okay I know this thread is old but Ive been doing research on this because everyone seems to get their rocks off with the ls6. I see why. But I had seen the bbk on Jegs and always wondered why the ls6 is so popular. Know I know. Its avalibility and price. Also the fact thats it is most definitley better than the ls1. However....theres no question that the bbk gives a tad more. As for this heat sink stuff....I thinks its all b.s. The intake plenum stores air until its used up and the intake system pushes (or sucks)more in. Which if you think about how fast the internals in the engine are moving(even at idle) thats still very fast. Air is always being recycled. Its isnt givin enough time to "soak" all of this "heat" Maybe take into consideration its the outside air that has the final say. Also, I read about this intake by using google search on bbk vs ls6. I was happy to see I was not alone. On a vette forum(ill link it later) a very intelligent engineer that seemed to be a pro hot rodder (didnt work for the company) went in depth (I mean in depth) about the engineering behind the bbk. Things I have not learned studying for ase's and attending an auto school for some time now. It works better. Also, if there are any plans for future modding with boost or spray this one is not even a question. I have an ls1 and the first mod im doing now that I have the exhuast/headers and basic stuff finished, will be bbk. Then a cam and heads/valvetrain. Then I will be using spray. Even if i didnt, I would still grab it. So its a matter of boost and spray vs. price vs. looks vs bbk has more power vs. I still believe in heat soak and its a few pounds heavier. (which you shouldnt care about because your opponent wont always be the same weight as you anyways) Another foot note, the engineering behind the bbk was get the most power across the widest of the power band But at the end of the day, do whatever suits your needs, and whatever works better for you. But dont sway people over and say somethings crap when research hasnt been done. bbk has me sold this spring.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Another angle on the plastic vs aluminum is things like initial investment and economy of scale.
OEMs have a lot of reasons for doing things and enthusiasts often misinterpret those reasons.
Best examples that come to mind are the 5 pinion planetary gears for the 4L60E, the 5pinions are PM the 4 were FORGED the 5 are cheaper to make but people blindly assumed it was a strength issue. Then there are the LS7 lifters that everyone assumes are some magical upgrade, they are stock replacement and if anything they seem to be more failure prone, not bad but I see more complaints of them failing than original lifters.

How many guys will tell you the truck intake is bad too but all the testing seems to show it WELL ahead of the LS1 intake, close to the LS6 intake
Old 12-20-2012, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TransAmFever90
okay I know this thread is old but Ive been doing research on this because everyone seems to get their rocks off with the ls6. I see why. But I had seen the bbk on Jegs and always wondered why the ls6 is so popular. Know I know. Its avalibility and price. Also the fact thats it is most definitley better than the ls1. However....theres no question that the bbk gives a tad more. As for this heat sink stuff....I thinks its all b.s. The intake plenum stores air until its used up and the intake system pushes (or sucks)more in. Which if you think about how fast the internals in the engine are moving(even at idle) thats still very fast. Air is always being recycled. Its isnt givin enough time to "soak" all of this "heat" Maybe take into consideration its the outside air that has the final say. Also, I read about this intake by using google search on bbk vs ls6. I was happy to see I was not alone. On a vette forum(ill link it later) a very intelligent engineer that seemed to be a pro hot rodder (didnt work for the company) went in depth (I mean in depth) about the engineering behind the bbk. Things I have not learned studying for ase's and attending an auto school for some time now. It works better. Also, if there are any plans for future modding with boost or spray this one is not even a question. I have an ls1 and the first mod im doing now that I have the exhuast/headers and basic stuff finished, will be bbk. Then a cam and heads/valvetrain. Then I will be using spray. Even if i didnt, I would still grab it. So its a matter of boost and spray vs. price vs. looks vs bbk has more power vs. I still believe in heat soak and its a few pounds heavier. (which you shouldnt care about because your opponent wont always be the same weight as you anyways) Another foot note, the engineering behind the bbk was get the most power across the widest of the power band But at the end of the day, do whatever suits your needs, and whatever works better for you. But dont sway people over and say somethings crap when research hasnt been done. bbk has me sold this spring.
My buddy has the Audi S4 V8 AWD, sweet 'country club' car. Anyways he picked me up in Fort Collins and we drove to Denver a good hour away. Stopped to get gas and I asked to see the engine cause I'd never seen that V8. it had the aluminum intake! And it wasn't hot! just warm. Like you, I searched and searched reviews, opinions, and even saw a couple of BBK's at car shows and I've asked about the mod. I've learned and been told that I'm better to go from my LS6 to a FAST. I do LOVE the look of the BBK, and if I had the LS1 intake I'd definately buy the BBK.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:04 PM
Teching In

bottom line the bbk made better #s .
a used ls6 is $325-400
A new bbk $449.00 % more hp im sold
I have one on my ride and love it
Old 03-01-2015, 01:30 PM
11 Second Club

Dude... 5 year old thread.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by Sladester2
Dude... 5 year old thread.
lol,how come no one revives old discussions to defend a FAST?
Old 08-12-2016, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/vem...take-manifold/

Here's a link to a test they did on the bbk ssi intake. You be the judge.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ill go with a FAST but thanks.

that link is as old as this discussion.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Go either LS6 or Fast if you can afford it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BBK SSI intake