Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frustrated....... to say the least!

Old 12-31-2003, 05:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Frustrated....... to say the least!

Actually frustrated is a bit of an understatement. I just bought my car a little over a month ago and I am already having problems. It has an annoying chirp coming from the engine compartment that is mostly noticeable when the engine is cold. It seems to be most noticeable at idle and low RPM's. I have read all the posts about the pullies and belt and have changed the idler pulley, tensioner pulley and belt to no avail. I finally gave in and took it to the dealer. They told me it seems to be coming from inside the engine and they are probably going to have to go into the engine to see what the problem is. Unbelievable! I've had the car a little over a month and they already have to tear the engine apart. Has anybody else had any similar problems? At least it's still under warranty though.... I can take some comfort in that. Anyway, sorry so long just wanted to vent. Oh, the car has a little over 21,000 miles on it.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup.. more than likely a pensioner pulley. I give mine a little white lithium grease now and again. Seems to work, most of the time.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

You know I have the exact same problem, let me know what they find. It's a chirping noise when the engine is cold, on the first start of the day.. Usually goes away after the engine is warmed up.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:55 AM
Launching!

Will do. Hopefully it's not anything too serious. Also, the people who checked it out aren't the ones who normally work on the LS1 engines. I will be taking it back in monday to the "expert" and we will see what he says. I imagine it will be something pretty simple.
Old 01-01-2004, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

My warranty is up on the 4th of next month, I figured it was nothing serious, but it would be really nice to know what it is..
Old 01-05-2004, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Update: I took the car back to the dealership today. They said that they are definitely going to have to tear into the engine to find out what's wrong with it. Looks like I'm going to be without my wheels for awhile. They did give me a rental though.... a Ford Focus! Talk about major difference! I don't even like to drive it, no fun at all. Oh well, I guess I will just have to suck it up for now. Hopefully things go well and I will have my beast back by the end of the week. This really sucks! I finally got my tsp lid and I can't even put it on because I don't have the car. Anyway....camss69, I will let you know as soon as I find out what the problem was. If I were you I would go ahead and take it in before your warranty runs out though, just in case.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Umm I dunno if this is the same thing but I had a chirp on the first startup of the day on cold mornings and if I sprayed wd40 on the AC belt the chirp went away. Try that first youd be surprised, there's nothing inside the engine that would make a chirping sound well as to what I'm thinking of anyway. Good luck.

-Sly
Old 01-05-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

I used to have a little birdy chirping away also when the engine was cold. I replaced BOTH A/C pulleys (tensioner and idler), and it went away. My car also had 40k on it and many high RPM moments, BUT it never hurts to check. (take off A/C belt, see it sound goes away)

Tommy
Old 01-05-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Junkie

I was also thinking it was the idler pulley or one of the pulleys, but if gm wants to take the engine apart who knows???
Old 01-05-2004, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to let you know, there are MANY idler pullies, and two tensioner pullies. Any of those could have a bad bearing. Maybe spray some WD-40 in them while on and see if the noise goes away.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

if you want to rule out the engine accessories, take all belts off the front of the engine then start it up when it is cold. See if the chirping is still there. Could be an alternator.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:04 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by H82BBad
if you want to rule out the engine accessories, take all belts off the front of the engine then start it up when it is cold. See if the chirping is still there. Could be an alternator.
exactly. i wonder if the dealer did that, probably not :shrug:
Old 01-06-2004, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

thanks, let me know as soon as you can......
Old 01-06-2004, 06:16 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by camss69
My warranty is up on the 4th of next month, I figured it was nothing serious, but it would be really nice to know what it is..
Why don't you just take it in now so they can mess with it before the warranty is out? They'll just procrastinate until the warranty runs out before they get the thing taken care of. That warranty is there to be used.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

I was hoping for a quick response from this thread to see what it is, if I dont hear anything by tomorrow or so I'll take it in....

I've only got 13,600 miles on it so I would hope it's nothing serious...
Old 01-06-2004, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Haven't heard anything back from the dealer yet. They have had my car for 2 days now. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they have made any progress.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

gm has a bulletin on the squeak and chirping sound to need to replace the alternator bracket with a revised part it fixed mine anyway
Old 01-07-2004, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

do you know where I can find the bulletin online, and/or the part number for the bracket?

did your chirping go away after the engine warmed up?
Old 01-07-2004, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Dude it is definately your ac belt or the ac belt tensioner. I had the same chirping took off the belt and it went away I guess I will have to fix it for summer if I want ac. Nothing internal should be chirping. It could also be your waterpump going. If it is under warrantie I guess you are ok anyways.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:24 PM
Launching!

The dealership still has the car. Still in troubleshooting stages. I will let you know when I get more info.

Search this Thread