Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust and Clamp question, and only a whopping 8hp increase with full exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust and Clamp question, and only a whopping 8hp increase with full exhaust.

I just had a shop install my,

Pacesetter LT's
TSP ORY
Magnaflow
plugs/wires/o2 extensions, tuned for air delete and rear o2's

My question is, the lap joint style band clamps won't work, they hit the o2 bung connections.

So right now im pissed because it's using u-bolt style, i believe most people here suggested band clamps or better clamps for the merge from headers to y-pipe.

Also, kinda odd but.. my car made 312hp stock, and with all this added it made 320? I guess some cars respond different..but I think something must be off.. I gotta bring it back anyways so they should look into it.

Thanks.

Last edited by mischief; 03-31-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Anyone have this problem?

Maybe a butt joint will work if you tighten it A LOT on the slip fit side?

V-band I don't really wanna pay for, and i dont want to weld.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so your car dyno'd 312 bone stock and only 320 after the header install?? that's crazy....
Old 03-31-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

so what exactly are you asking? a seal band clamp or V-band clamp are you best options, which seal the best. just clamp, whatever clamp it is, shouldn't be hitting the O2's at all.

... and you should have a little bit more than a 8rwhp increase with all those mods added within dyno tests. you might have more of a problem somewhere else.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:02 PM
Launching!

What exactly could it be? Minor exhaust leak? I just posted a clip of it in the multimedia section.

I was kinda pissed off.. but what could I do? car has a fresh fuel filter as well.

I'm going to try a butt clamp, others have had the same problem with the lap joint hittin the o2 hole/bung.

Any ideas on why it only gained 8 hp, is welcomed, I'm stumped, the car just had new msd wires and tr-55 plugs put in as well.

The shop specializes in fbodys and is very very reputable around my area, they do everything to these cars and have fbodys themselves.

Even if it needs a tune, it should do better than that.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

maybe it just needs a good tune? does it idle ok or miss at all?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Thats what I'm guessing, a tune.. but I might wait till i put a cam in before it gets tuned.

It idles perfectly, runs perfectly, doesn't miss, the y-pipe is banging on the floorboard but that's getting fixed next week, just barely does it from a stop.

My luck is pretty terrible.. but It sounded very healthy on the dyno.

Refer to my video in the multimedia section to judge for yourself on the idle/ exhaust note.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

vacuum leak? how many miles on the car?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:57 PM
Launching!

2 owners, last 6 years was lady driven ( older lady ), gets decent oil pressure, about 35/37 fully hot at idle, 55 on cold starts.

Hmmm, you know what just came to me? I heard there's a vacuum line on the drivers side when you remove the air system you need to cap it off with a screw, on 99-2002 models.

Perhaps this was overlooked, otherwise I have no idea, but you'd think if it wasnt capped off the idle would be all weird.

Just doesn't make any sense, 312 stock to the wheels is pretty good, dont you think if there was a problem it wouldnt be making that stock? Im hoping it just needs a tune since it's stock tune, the car runs and idles like it's brand new.

It was an hour drive there and back, and performed perfectly before mods and after mods, 50 miles each way.

The shop guy said he's had a few cars like this that have done the same thing, just needed a tune.

It has new plugs/wires/fuel filter/oil/filter, I've ran MCCC on top end and some sea foam in the gas tank to clean injectors.

Stock PCV valve which I'll be replacing tomorrow.

Last edited by mischief; 04-01-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That sounds pretty low; I think I got almost 20 hp out of the LTs, cats, and LM. It was tight, but the band clamps fit around th O2 sensors; without any other signs like gas smell, soot, leaks, etc., it's probably the tune.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

Tune it, you will see a diffrence. I did my swap and had to have it tuned, the A/F was way off (probably due to prior circumstances) Since you already have an LS6 intake, maybe upgrade your lid and get an underdrive pulley before the tune, that way you'll get the most bang for your buck. By that time, you should be hitting 350 at the rears.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Yeah it's getting tuned next week.

They didnt remove all the air system, im doing that tonight..just took off the 3-way fitting and capped the vacuum line, doing the pump tonight, it's all deleted from the computer but i'm doing it anyways.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Launching!

Hmm, I found a pretty bad exhaust leak on the y-pipe, stupid u-bolt clamps...getting it fixed next week, probably will use a band clamp or weld it.

Wonder if thats why it only made 8hp more, he said he checked for leaks, so i'm not sure, I found the leak by hearing it, so it must be a big leak, sure feels like it.. either way its getting fixed and tuned!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

seems the shop might not be up to par if they fired it up and overlooked hearing an exhaust leak. pretty hard not the hear that pitter-patter
Old 04-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Yeah that's true, but they do 90% f-bodys.

They have worked on easily over 100+ ls1 cars, so im going to give them a chance to make it right.

Not to mention my y-pipe is banging the floorboard and needs more adjustment....but I figured I'd wait for the butt-style band clamps to come in and bring it back then.. stupid slip-fit ones hit the o2 holes.. im still mad about that, they said kooks, qtp, hooker and others they clear fine, it might be quality control with pacesetter too.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

any decent shop should be able to make any y-pipe or x-pipe clear from hitting the floorboard. seem to be slacking on your car. especially with a combination that has been run over and over so long which is meant to fit fine
Old 04-02-2010, 07:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you didnt dyno it on the same day, you can not make a comparison!
Old 04-02-2010, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Without a tune, most fbodies run pig rich with headers. So the tune is going to accomplish two things; first, it will get it running right which will probably give you 20 HP alone, then you can optimize, WOT and timing tables.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
If you didnt dyno it on the same day, you can not make a comparison!
Of course it was dyno'd on the same day.. before and after.

But yeah, i'll just get it tuned!

I forgot to add, the tunnel brace is off.. as it wouldnt even bolt on without hitting exhaust, but I just saw a pic on here if someone with the same headers and ory and he made it work, but its banging.. either way is it ok if it's off? the guy said it doesn't really matter.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

hey I have the same exhaust setup on a 99 z. I have band clamps at the headers but there are 2 spots i had to use the crappy u bolt style. by the y pipe merge and where the tail pipe connects over the axle. as far as the tunnel brace I believed that gm must have put it there for a reason. so I purchased an aftermarket one to clear the tsp y. It was a pain gettin the y pipe to tuck up in there to begin with but I managed to get the y tucked up enough to clear the aftermarket tunnel brace. after driving for a bit i noticed the y still hit the tunnel brace just a bit so I added an 1/8'' shim on either side and all is well since. only other thing I did was tac weld the tail pipes because everytime I hit the gas hard they would move on me even with the band clamps.

hope this helps ya some.

Quick Reply: Exhaust and Clamp question, and only a whopping 8hp increase with full exhaust.