Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does it take to optimize your 102 FAST??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ported my first FAST myself and saw good gain, but to put things in perspective, i'm waiting on my 2nd Mamofied FAST to show up on my doorstep

Tony's work is 2nd to none and once you see it yourself, you'll forget ever paying money for it
Old 04-18-2010, 04:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Tony have you done many 102 Fasts for the LS7 head yet? I was just wondering because as you have stated earlier the "so called" consensus has stated that just a slight cleanup on these is all that is needed and if you go all out on these it is hurting them more then anything. I just still think if the right person (YOU) works them the right way that they will be much better then their so called cleanup?? Maybe it's too soon to tell or maybe it's just that the stock LS7 ported intake is that good!? What are your thoughts on this?
Old 04-18-2010, 10:17 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairws6
Tony have you done many 102 Fasts for the LS7 head yet? I was just wondering because as you have stated earlier the "so called" consensus has stated that just a slight cleanup on these is all that is needed and if you go all out on these it is hurting them more then anything. I just still think if the right person (YOU) works them the right way that they will be much better then their so called cleanup?? Maybe it's too soon to tell or maybe it's just that the stock LS7 ported intake is that good!? What are your thoughts on this?
I've done a handful of the new LS7 FAST units.....its a nice piece much like the new cathedral intake (much better design than the 90/92 versions).

I heard back from one of the customers I helped with that intake and he picked up over 20 HP with the swap (some, most actually, are including it with a whole bunch of other changes....this customer just swapped intakes).

He was very pleased....this was over a stock GM LS7 intake.

It does require less work and less time to optimize so I actually charge a little less to port that piece (and the LS3....same deal....both are closer to optimal out of the box).

Hope this helps....

-Tony
Old 04-18-2010, 10:37 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
I've done a handful of the new LS7 FAST units.....its a nice piece much like the new cathedral intake (much better design than the 90/92 versions).

I heard back from one of the customers I helped with that intake and he picked up over 20 HP with the swap (some, most actually, are including it with a whole bunch of other changes....this customer just swapped intakes).

He was very pleased....this was over a stock GM LS7 intake.

It does require less work and less time to optimize so I actually charge a little less to port that piece (and the LS3....same deal....both are closer to optimal out of the box).

Hope this helps....

-Tony
Thanks for the quick response! I spoke with you at Sema a couple years back and we chatted about my 427 at the time. I'm sure you don't remember sense you must talk to a million people a day! Anyhow, i am running a 441 all motor now and have the stock LS7 ported and generally see 99-100 KPA at wide open throttle so i beleive the intakes doing ok? I am so torn out of making the switch to the new 102 Fast since i would have to by new fuel rails and the works. Probably not worth the money but like you said, do you want to sqeeze every last bit out of your combo or be happy with what you have!? I'm still on the fence and definately haven't fell over either side yet. If i do though, i will be defianately looking you up!
Old 05-08-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Tony, Do the fast 102's have to be port mached to ANY (cathedral) head to be optimized? Or is there a head out there where the fast 102 is already port mached?
Old 02-04-2011, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

oooo i like what i see here....

Old 02-06-2011, 10:16 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a fantastic thread and has swayed me to hold out a little longer and spring for the fast 102.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tony mamo is the airflow god
Old 02-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Good info tony
Old 02-07-2011, 08:14 PM
9 Second Club

Yep, he done good!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:44 PM
Launching!

When porting a fast do you not actually need the heads that it will be paired up with to be fully optimized? For instance a ported 243 casting or an AFR 210 or say a TFS 235 I'm sure all have different intake runners openings. I've always wondered how people who send their fast intakes out for porting have it port matched to their specific heads?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by STAR
When porting a fast do you not actually need the heads that it will be paired up with to be fully optimized? For instance a ported 243 casting or an AFR 210 or say a TFS 235 I'm sure all have different intake runners openings. I've always wondered how people who send their fast intakes out for porting have it port matched to their specific heads?
Guys,

Thanks for all the positive comments etc.

Regarding this question I always inquire what the heads will be that I'm working with. Some of them I know already how large the intake port widths are....if I'm not sure I always ask my customers to measure the widths before I port the intake.

Usually they are between 1.050 and 1.100 but every now and they are thinner or wider than that depending on the situation.

-Tony
Old 02-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Launching!

I always look forward to hearing and seeing Tone Loc speak. Good stuff.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

just dont chop your fingers off or some **** before i send you my intake and have you do these 215s!

lol
Old 02-09-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RX666
just dont chop your fingers off or some **** before i send you my intake and have you do these 215s!

lol
That man could do a better job than most, with none of his fingers... or toes.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 902 Likes on 643 Posts

Tony,

What do you use to port plastic with? I just picked up a 102 that has been ported(not by you) and the finish doesn't look anything like your pic. I am thinking of smoothing out what's there and not trying to port anymore.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:50 AM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Tony,

What do you use to port plastic with? I just picked up a 102 that has been ported(not by you) and the finish doesn't look anything like your pic. I am thinking of smoothing out what's there and not trying to port anymore.
"Ported FAST".....it all sounds (and reads) the same, but the differences in quality and execution can be vast.

Anyway....try getting some 120 - 150 grit cartridge rolls. I would probably steer you towards the 120. Getting too fine will just take longer and heat the plastic more as your trying to rework it. It doesn't have to be super smooth.

The bigger issue is not so much texture but shape....was it really properly reworked and opened up so there would be significant improvements in flow exiting the intake and entering the head?? Getting a handle on all the rough cartridge roll marks will make it aesthetically alot more pleasing but in functional gains it may be very insignificant.

Shape and cross sectional area are king....far more important than the surface finish although a nice surface finish after a well executed port job (with carbide cutters) always buttons everything up rather nicely.

PM or call me if you have anything more specific to your deal....

-Tony
Old 02-11-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 902 Likes on 643 Posts

Tony I sent you a PM. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:35 AM
Staging Lane

Lots of good info. Thanks Tony.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by THE LAST Z
Hey Tony, Do the fast 102's have to be port mached to ANY (cathedral) head to be optimized? Or is there a head out there where the fast 102 is already port mached?
I was wondering this too. Was thinking about port matching this myself, but I want to make sure I do it correctly. My intake ports, are prolly on the small-er side, and Was wondering if I just open the base of the intake out to match the same dimensions of the head port? On Tony's pics I noticed that the intake port was rather larger and he didn't hog the intake base out all the way. -Prolly for a good reason.

My ports measured to 1.016" at it's wider section towards the middle/bottom third of the port and slightly tapers toward the top. On a side note; any idea of the port size here? They're P+P'd 243s I never got any info for.

I'll smooth the runners out by hand, but I'm not looking at trying to port anything. Just looking to smooth out any casting bumps or "flash" I think it's called.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 02-12-2011 at 08:08 AM.

Quick Reply: What does it take to optimize your 102 FAST??