Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noobie looking for info on exhaust and intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004 | 07:07 AM
Teching In

Question Noobie looking for info on exhaust and intake

Just got my F-body in August and finally have some dough to put into it. I'm looking into air intake and exhaust, but don't know what would be the best combo to get the most power and some quality sound?
Old 01-09-2004 | 10:19 AM
TECH Veteran

GMMG and any good aftermarket lid..

That should free up some ponies and you will LOVE the sound of the GMMG
Old 01-09-2004 | 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Any aftermarket lid and I recommend spending some dough on a Hooker.....................catback that is. Much less expensive than some of the other units out there and has a great sound. You could mail the money you save to me ;-) or spend it on an ASP pulley or something else for more giddyup.
Old 01-09-2004 | 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

gmmg catback is gonna run around 600-800 bucks. no catback in the history of cars should be 600-800 bucks. people will give you the, well you will just have to replace the catback in 4-6 years, with the gmmg you wont...but they seem to forget that most people dont replace their exhaust because of rusting but more because they either A get bored of it, or B, they get another car.
spend less, save and get a hooker catback, its quiet at idle, flows reallyw ell, and at WOT its probably louder than most others out there.

as for the air lid, they are all the same, go for bling or for cheapests any which way you go you will end up with the same hp numbers.
Good luck
~T
Old 01-09-2004 | 05:11 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by slik98z
gmmg catback is gonna run around 600-800 bucks. no catback in the history of cars should be 600-800 bucks. people will give you the, well you will just have to replace the catback in 4-6 years, with the gmmg you wont...but they seem to forget that most people dont replace their exhaust because of rusting but more because they either A get bored of it, or B, they get another car.
spend less, save and get a hooker catback, its quiet at idle, flows reallyw ell, and at WOT its probably louder than most others out there.

as for the air lid, they are all the same, go for bling or for cheapests any which way you go you will end up with the same hp numbers.
Good luck
~T

and go hear to listen to various exhuast setups.

http://dodds.cc/chad/garage/z28/ls1_sounds/
Old 01-09-2004 | 05:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Well he didnt say he had a budget.. so i recommended the best one out there.. its expensive but cheaper than most any exhaust for a vette

Hell.. if your on a budget just get a darn cut-out.. or splurge and get and electric one and make more power than any cat-back..
Old 01-09-2004 | 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

i heard hooker and its too quiet for me. i also heard everything else and if u want the best sound flowmaster is ok but flows like crap. get GMMG sounds AMAZING! as for induction. i have holly powershot filter, texas speed lid, and slp bellow. its a good combo....bellow isnt very important, i have ported ends too but that would have to get tuned. but i would get the holly filter and the TSP lid. its great.

and most exhausts i have seen, good cat backs... are 600+ so 700 for gmmg shipped and its stainless i think is good.

hooker does sound good but like i said its quiet. on my friends t/a with the same set up as me, makes his sound like he has cats on it...i dont like it
Old 01-09-2004 | 05:49 PM
On The Tree

I'd have to agree and I'd say go with the hooker catback, I love mine and when I eventually added hooker long tubes the catback really screamed (well thats what the cops told me). Get a lid of your choice and if cash is left over look into either the fast toy ram air or the super sucker ram air systems also. Best of luck and have fun!
Old 01-09-2004 | 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

damn that site up there is great, lot of clips on there...some of mine too ill try and send some in after headers on the WS6 and SS with flowmaster and loud mouth, soon ill have one of the WS6 with headers, no cats and GMMG
Old 01-10-2004 | 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

i should add dude, there have been some really good prices on the loudmouth. take a look at our sponsers sites on the right...the hooker is a great peice, its held up awesome so far, and the long tubes are coming in soon. loudmouths are well, loud if you like that kind of set up go with a loudmouth, they are around the same price as the hooker but perhaps just a few bones more.
Good luck
Travis
Old 01-10-2004 | 08:58 PM
10 Second Club

I bought a hooker cat-back when i first got my car and I liked it. I got bored with it and it wasnt loud enough so I got a cutout put on. That sounded alright but there was so much drone inside the car and I wanted a better sound. I went on the power tour and heard gmmg exhaust and went home ordered the gmmg and ditched the hooker. I love my gmmg and I recently put flp long tube headers with cats and y-pipe and it sounds awesome and there isnt much drone at all in the inside. If i were you id go with gmmg exhaust, its the best one out there
Old 01-10-2004 | 09:28 PM
10 Second Club

The slp dual/dual is a nice catback, and most all lids will work well.
Old 01-11-2004 | 05:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Another vote for Hooker here. Its the Dr Jekyll/Mr. Hyde version catback. Quiet as stock when idling, mean as hell at WOT. I'm using the money I saved to help buy TTII rims and Nittos. A lid is a lid. Just make sure you do the "free Ram Air mod" when you install it. Good Luck.