Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New vs Old LS6 Valley Cover ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just scrolled up and looked at the picture. Answered my own dumb question.

Can I remove those bolts and remove the PCV assembly to check the part number and re-assemble it?
Old 06-03-2010, 12:07 AM
TECH Junkie

The 04+ LS6 valley cover like I used looks just like the one in the picture except instead of that white tab in the center its all black, otherwise identical.

What part number are you trying to check?
Old 06-03-2010, 06:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HoLLo
The 04+ LS6 valley cover like I used looks just like the one in the picture except instead of that white tab in the center its all black, otherwise identical.

Trying to figure out if I had the old LS6 style or the newer.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I should go ahead order this piece since I'm taking the motor apart. Hmmm.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AustinYukon
Trying to figure out if I had the old LS6 style or the newer.

Yes ,they pretty much look the same ,but the new one has the part # cast into the bottom 12577927 , Thunder Racing has Pic of it top view.They sell it as a kit, I think its 159 dollars.

LS6 PCV Conversion Kit
Thunder Racing recommends the use of a GM LS6 PCV system in order to reduce oil consumption issues associated with the factory LS1PCV system. This kit includes everything needed to do the conversion: LS6 Valley Cover, valley cover gasket, valley cover bolts, LS6 PCV Tube, and valve cover plugs. Some 1997-2000 engine blocks may require grinding for clearance of LS6 valley cover.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by omc8
Yes ,they pretty much look the same ,but the new one has the part # cast into the bottom 12577927 , Thunder Racing has Pic of it top view.They sell it as a kit, I think its 159 dollars.

LS6 PCV Conversion Kit
Thunder Racing recommends the use of a GM LS6 PCV system in order to reduce oil consumption issues associated with the factory LS1PCV system. This kit includes everything needed to do the conversion: LS6 Valley Cover, valley cover gasket, valley cover bolts, LS6 PCV Tube, and valve cover plugs. Some 1997-2000 engine blocks may require grinding for clearance of LS6 valley cover.
That's what mine looks like but there is no part number visible

Can I remove those bolts and remove the PCV assembly to check the part number and re-assemble it?
Old 06-03-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's what mine looks like but there is no part number visible

Yes if you want to see , you have to remove the valley cover flip it upside down, the numbers are on the bottom corner as I remember.I had originally ordered the old LS6 ,and received a plain jane LS1 .So i sent it back and got the new LS6.Make sure if you order a new one that you check it,I guess it was pretty common for GM to put the wrong valley cover in the LS6 box.I got mine from my GM parts source.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by omc8

LS6 PCV Conversion Kit
thanks man
Old 06-03-2010, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

why is it so much I ordered mine with the u shaped tube for like 80 shipped new. Also great pics Hollo Im awaiting mine in the mail, I hope I dont have to cut.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Just so everyone knows what I'm talking about. This is mine. There are NO part numbers on it anywhere.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:26 AM
TECH Junkie

As I said before, the newer LS6 style isn't yellow on bottom, its all solid black. You have the older model. Here are the part #s I ordered from gmpartsdirect for the cover and the tube: 12577927, 12594779. 04+ valley cover.

Originally Posted by bene
I should go ahead order this piece since I'm taking the motor apart. Hmmm.
Do it, it's proven less oil consumption. Plus it cleans up the engine bay. No PCV hoses looks much better.

Originally Posted by JSmee99T/A
why is it so much I ordered mine with the u shaped tube for like 80 shipped new. Also great pics Hollo Im awaiting mine in the mail, I hope I dont have to cut.
Yeah, I paid about $80 for mine with shipping and the U-Tube. Don't pay TR $160 for it. I used a vacuum cap and used the old 90 degree elbow from the drivers side valve cover and cut off leaving a small 90 degree bend, and just capped it off rather than buying a special plug for it.....

I learned something new last weekend. Look into your engine bay on the block. Look for a little bullseye. If it has it, it's the LS6 block. Use a hacksaw (a mini-one would work great too), itll be much cleaner than a dremel if you have to cut it.

Last edited by HoLLo; 06-04-2010 at 02:32 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

As I said before, the newer LS6 style isn't yellow on bottom, its all solid black. You have the older model. Here are the part #s I ordered from gmpartsdirect for the cover and the tube: 12577927, 12594779. 04+ valley cover.

Do it, it's proven less oil consumption. Plus it cleans up the engine bay. No PCV hoses looks much better.

Yeah, I paid about $80 for mine with shipping and the U-Tube. Don't pay TR $160 for it. I used a vacuum cap and used the old 90 degree elbow from the drivers side valve cover and cut off leaving a small 90 degree bend, and just capped it off rather than buying a special plug for it.....

I learned something new last weekend. Look into your engine bay on the block. Look for a little bullseye. If it has it, it's the LS6 block. Use a hacksaw (a mini-one would work great too), itll be much cleaner than a dremel if you have to cut it.
HoLLo,
Nice pic of the the LS6 block, good info .Does any one know how many f- bodys got the LS6 block.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just so everyone knows what I'm talking about. This is mine. There are NO part numbers on it anywhere.

Your pic is the old style ,that's why there are no #s,the GM # for the one you have is 12568002 . The new style style has a solid black box in between the knock sensors, and will have the part #12577927 cast in the bottom.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Hmm. Well I think the whole bullseye thing might be a bit misleading... I was looking at my motor the other day, and I have the bullseye, yet I had to cut the block to fit the valley cover, and it had the "ribs" on the inside under the valley cover where as the LS6 block is smooth under the valley cover.. Yet other LS1s dont have the bullseye. The information I found online, including that pic said LS6 blocks have the bullseye. I guess the only TRUE way is to check for the casting number on the block.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No, you got it backwards. I said if it had the bullseye its a LS1 block...no bullseye its a LS6. I know people say that the casting numbers are the only way to know but I still have yet for someone to show me a LS1 block without the bullseye or a LS6 block with a bullseye.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Newer style close up

Old 11-05-2010, 05:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the only difference between the Old and New Style LS6 Valley Cover, besides the appearance of the underside, is the the addition of an interal PCV Valve in the new version.

I know when I did mine last Fall, I specifically purchased an Older Style Cover so I could retain my external PCV Valve. I figured, if the Valve should ever fail, I won't need to remove my intake to replace it. Also, I don't know if the Valve in the New Style Cover is serviceable or not. The picture in the post above this one looks as though it probably is. But if it is not, should it fail, not only will you be removing the intake to get to it, but you will be purchasing another $70 Valley Cover.

The new style definitely helps to clean up the front of the engine and maybe these Valves will outlive the Engine/Car, but I like having mine on the outside.

Just my $.02.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

In all honesty, with what me and lots of others spend on our cars and how much we work on our cars, i could **** on buying a new $70 valley cover and pulling the intake. And whatever is in there has to be simple in design so Im sure you could pull it apart and clean it rather then just automatically replace it.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
In all honesty, with what me and lots of others spend on our cars and how much we work on our cars, i could **** on buying a new $70 valley cover and pulling the intake. And whatever is in there has to be simple in design so Im sure you could pull it apart and clean it rather then just automatically replace it.
Sure. That's very true. And its not like its that difficult to pull the intake off.

This is just something I considered when I made my decision, so I wanted to throw it out there for the O.P.

Just putting all the options on the table.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been using the old style LS6 valley cover for 6 years now. About once a year I squirt some brake clean into the hose with the PCV valve in it and then blow it out with compressed air. I like the ability to clean or change the PCV externally.

Quick Reply: New vs Old LS6 Valley Cover ?