Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The fix for my endless alternator failure's

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My NEW alternator that I installed two years ago is still performing flawlessly. The original OEM one lasted 11 years and over 200,000 miles. I hope that this one has that kind of life span. Each to his own.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 236 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by badmfkr
I'm w/ you Sir:on brand new.

I would like to know the exact type of truck and year model that I can obtain a brand new 130 amp atl. is the 130 amp alt a ad244?

I looked at many year model silverados Rock auto and only saw 105 amp atls.

Please provide a link at Rock auto and Summit so I can get a NEW alt.

Thanks
search rock auto...........ac/delco pn 22781130

the 145 amp option......KG3

NOT the 105 amp stock
Old 10-08-2012, 05:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
search rock auto...........ac/delco pn 22781130

the 145 amp option......KG3

NOT the 105 amp stock
RA is not suppling details on being new & # of amps.

got a link for Summit I can't search w/out year and type of a vehical.
Thanks
Old 10-08-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

i did not see any new on RA......but plenty of remans in the 145 amp variety
Old 10-08-2012, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks
Old 10-08-2012, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

you can search by that P/N......and any chevy truck before 2005......KG3 alt option......
Old 10-09-2012, 01:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks
I dunno if you're looking for new or reman - but for whatever it's worth if you're going to mail order - I got mine for $175 plus $20 shipping. Brand New Wai Transpo Alternator - 253amps. I bought it three months ago so I dunno if their price has changed - but I couldn't be happier with it. After combing the dealer catalogs for it - turns out it's delco.

Specs attached. I've got the bench test sheet too if you want to see it. (-3 version on the rectifier. second listing on page)

Cheers!

The fix for my endless alternator failure's-alternator_part_specs3.jpg

The fix for my endless alternator failure's-alternator_part_spec2.png
Old 10-09-2012, 02:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

^^^ i taught her well
Old 10-11-2012, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WarmWeatherBird
I dunno if you're looking for new or reman - but for whatever it's worth if you're going to mail order - I got mine for $175 plus $20 shipping. Brand New Wai Transpo Alternator - 253amps. I bought it three months ago so I dunno if their price has changed - but I couldn't be happier with it. After combing the dealer catalogs for it - turns out it's delco.

Specs attached. I've got the bench test sheet too if you want to see it. (-3 version on the rectifier. second listing on page)

Cheers!

Attachment 375890

Attachment 375891
are you located in Canada?

I think the stock AD244 145 amp will be more than suffiecnt for me.

I can't understand why Rock Auto will not tell us if this is rebuilt or new?
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...ch%2Bfor%2BWIX

I can't understand why Summit will not tell us if this rebuilt or new.
also Sumitt says it's not one wire capable.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFF-8237/
expense
http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...%20ad244&dds=1
Thanks
Old 10-11-2012, 11:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

warm bird is in Florida.....i guess you would have to write them to find out if it is a reman or new.....new alts are hard to find and more on the expensive side compared to remans
Old 10-12-2012, 10:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Phuch a bunch of junk yard junk get a brand new a 130 amp silverado alternator for $142 at rockauto.com not or get or a new one from summit racing for $149. There is a reason why they call it a junk yard....

I'm w/ you Sir:on brand new.

I would like to know the exact type of truck and year model that I can obtain a brand new 130 amp atl. is the 130 amp alt a ad244?

I looked at many year model silverados Rock auto and only saw 105 amp atls.

Please provide a link at Rock auto and Summit so I can get a NEW alt.

Thanks
Not to be rude, but you guys do not have the experience I have had with used vs rebuilt. This whole damn thing started from problems with rebuilt & new alternators.

Some of those alternators that failed on me were "NEW". One of the "new" ones burnt up in FIVE MINUTES!! But yet the "junk yard" alternator is still going over 2 years after I bought it for $43!!!!

The reason a "junk yard" part is better than an aftermarket rebuilt or new part is because the junk yard part was from the factory and built to OEM specs and built from much higher quality components. That is why I chose a "junk yard" part. I ran a shop for many years, and you guys' way of thinking is that new has to be better than used....because it is new, that is so far from the truth.

A lightly used factory part is ALWAYS far better quality than a cheap rebuild/new part.

Again, this all started from me trying "new" alternators. They failed over and over and over again. But the "junk yard" alternator is still going....

Once you run a business and see all sides of the issue, you see things completely differently. Buy a used OEM part any day over a "new" or "rebuilt" part. They aren't the same in quality, not even close.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 10-12-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

Just put in a 2003 yukon alt (145 amp), it is rocking over 13.5.... Woot!!...Thanks for this thread, you da man!!!!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Just got mine today and it has a fan built in behind the pulley. Im thinking they sent me the wrong one, it looks nothin like the picks i've seen on here.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:41 AM
Staging Lane

are you located in Canada?
sjsingle1 is correct - I'm in the sunshine state! If you're thinking about that mail order - seems like they had multiple warehouses. Could have one in Canada - but not sure. You'd have to ask them. (assuming you're looking to avoid international shipping charges, customs, etc.) The order went in through Los Angeles and mine dropped out of Orlando. (they shipped from the closest warehouse to me so I got it next day) I want to say they had maybe 8 warehouses - but I don't know where I'm getting that. Could be the Florida heat. I gave them very specific details of what I wanted - something that would fit the 2003 trucks, WAI transpo inside, etc. He had several options and I chose the one with the highest output with WAI / delco goodies inside.

But I do remember they talked about alternators made in Brazil and other countries - so I dunno if they just import or if they have a presence outside the US. Sorry for the slow reply - been busy and just wandered back in. PM me if something is urgent!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

the two longer bolts that go threw the bracket in to the block. how long are they? m10x1.5x_____?
Old 11-09-2012, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Just installed the big case alternator. What concerned me was the battery terminal on the alternator was very close to the power steering line as it comes out of the rack. Bent it away a little so there is about a mm clearance. Then put a rubber hose between them in case it touches. Could be a ground if it does. Don't want to take any chances of that! Anyways thanks for the info since I was looking for another alternator again! My sixth alternator since I got this car new in 1998!
Old 11-26-2012, 12:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by pedaltothemetal
Just installed the big case alternator. What concerned me was the battery terminal on the alternator was very close to the power steering line as it comes out of the rack. Bent it away a little so there is about a mm clearance. Then put a rubber hose between them in case it touches. Could be a ground if it does. Don't want to take any chances of that! Anyways thanks for the info since I was looking for another alternator again! My sixth alternator since I got this car new in 1998!
I bent my line too, so did others, just bend it a little more and it will be fine. You can bend that line quite a bit.

Put the rubber boot over the terminal that is on your cable (well that should be on your cable) over the terminal like it is supposed to be and you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Been suffering for over a year with many of the same low voltage issues discussed here and my stock alt finally crapped out yesterday. Purchased the 145amp alt that has been suggested throughout this thread and upgraded to the truck battery as well since I killed my stock replacement getting home. My voltage is now remaining steady around 13 no matter the load or whether at a cruise or idle. Any other items I should change out to avoid potential issues in the future, especially fires?

Last edited by 86t/a383; 11-27-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 86t/a383
Been suffering for over a year with many of the same low voltage issues discussed here and my stock alt finally crapped out yesterday. Purchased the 145amp alt that has been suggested throughout this thread and upgraded to the truck battery as well since I killed my stock replacement getting home. My voltage is now remaining steady around 13 no matter the load or whether at a cruise or idle. Any other items I should change out to avoid potential issues in the future, especially fires?
Nope. Just change the alternator and you'll be fine. My car that I put the used alternator on is still running around 2-1/2 years later just fine. All I changed was the alternator and the small connector wire because it was a bit short and I didn't want to stretch it. And sometimes they go bad so I just did it for good measure.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 86t/a383
try the big 3 !

Quick Reply: The fix for my endless alternator failure's