Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The fix for my endless alternator failure's

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Aetos
Anybody know the best place for me to order one of these alternators online? Specifically, a used or rebuilt one because I don't have a lot of money.

Is ebay a decent place to check?
Lookup LKQ. That is where I got mine and where this thread all started from.

Originally Posted by bad6as
i dont want to search threw 30 pages.
PEOPLE USING IRON BLOCKS WITH THE FBODY STOCK ALTERNATOR MOUNT
you all are only using two bolts to hold the alternator on?
Did you drill the hole for the regular F body alternator already? If so you will mount this alternator the same exact way. With the two bolts.

If you drilled a hole in the side of the block for the little L bracket that goes on the back of the F body alternator you wont use that.

It doesn't matter what your block is made out of, both alternators mount the same. Only difference is the truck alternator does not use a little bracket on the back of the alternator.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos07
I wonder if this will help me.y problem is the car starts out ok and then later as its warmed up and I'm stopping the meter will start to flucuate and start to drop below 13 n dance around the yellow area. I have to take my foot of the brakes for it to get up again and turn the ac off. It's also about a year old from oriellys too. Would putting in the 145 amp alt. help out??
oriellys, thats the problem, I would take a junk yard one before I would ever use one from them on my car.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I stopped reading at page 10. I don't have any special electrical needs, but I do have a Walbro fuel pump & hotwire kit. My check gauges light is on and randomly blinks, and the voltage is right at the upper red mark. The voltmeter has gradually been getting lower for months, so I guess the alternator has been experiencing a slow death. It's my only car and I don't want to risk being stranded. My current alternator is a dealer warranty replacement, but with Chevy closing dealers, my nearest dealer is now about 30 minutes away. I had to coast into their driveway the last time.

The last time my motor was installed I was told that I'm missing the original black plastic shield on the rear of my alternator and perhaps that was part of the reason I had gone through 4 in 4 years. Are there covers available for any of these 244 or Alternatorman units and would they fit a 4th gen?

I see Alternatorman offers single and multi rectifier versions. I like the idea of the ease of replacing the bridge, but is there room for this in the engine bay? I se recommendations to install a fuse also... but that's not included in the IW wiring kit; is there another kit which includes the fuse?

My takeaways on what I should buy from the first 10 pages:

Innovative Wiring LS1 H/O battery wiring $95
Alternatorman D1AD244HD145 4-pin (New 145 Amp SINGLE BRIDGE RECTIFIER Delphi type AD244 Series Alternator.) $230

Either I missed or I don't recall seeing the answer to the pulley alignment questions. If the pulley doesn't line up, what are my options? Amything else I should buy/upgrade at the same time?

Last edited by JimMueller; 07-23-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by NEXRACE
oriellys, thats the problem, I would take a junk yard one before I would ever use one from them on my car.
I agree. The thread started because I went through so many off the shelf alternators and I was looking for a solution. And a junk yard alternator is the same as comparing a used good condition engine vs a cheap rebuild, the used engine will outlast the rebuild every time.

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I stopped reading at page 10. I don't have any special electrical needs, but I do have a Walbro fuel pump & hotwire kit. My check gauges light is on and randomly blinks, and the voltage is right at the upper red mark. The voltmeter has gradually been getting lower for months, so I guess the alternator has been experiencing a slow death. It's my only car and I don't want to risk being stranded. My current alternator is a dealer warranty replacement, but with Chevy closing dealers, my nearest dealer is now about 30 minutes away. I had to coast into their driveway the last time.

The last time my motor was installed I was told that I'm missing the original black plastic shield on the rear of my alternator and perhaps that was part of the reason I had gone through 4 in 4 years. Are there covers available for any of these 244 or Alternatorman units and would they fit a 4th gen?

I see Alternatorman offers single and multi rectifier versions. I like the idea of the ease of replacing the bridge, but is there room for this in the engine bay? I se recommendations to install a fuse also... but that's not included in the IW wiring kit; is there another kit which includes the fuse?

My takeaways on what I should buy from the first 10 pages:

Innovative Wiring LS1 H/O battery wiring $95
Alternatorman D1AD244HD145 4-pin (New 145 Amp SINGLE BRIDGE RECTIFIER Delphi type AD244 Series Alternator.) $230

Either I missed or I don't recall seeing the answer to the pulley alignment questions. If the pulley doesn't line up, what are my options? Amything else I should buy/upgrade at the same time?
The pulley alignment is fine from what the others have said, I compared them on the bench and they are slightly different, the truck alternator pulley will stick out about 1/32" to 1/16" further forward if I recall correctly, it shouldn't be an issue, nobody has had belt squeal issues but me, and that seems to be coming from the crank pulley/damper. If you want it to be perfect you would have to remove a small amount of metal off the rear of the mounting ears to make the alternator set back just a hair further.

Your list looks good except you should get a new exciter wire/connector. That's the tiny wire that has the plastic connector that plugs into the top of the alternator, they are cheap on ebay. You don't NEED to put in an inline fuse, none of the factory applications have an inline fuse, can if you want to, but don't NEED to.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 236 Likes on 193 Posts

a pulley other than stock caused alignment issues.......so i put the stock pulley back on the truck alt and pro solved
Old 08-10-2012, 11:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
a pulley other than stock caused alignment issues.......so i put the stock pulley back on the truck alt and pro solved
That's right... forgot you had said that.

Now I need to pick one up for my truck but the current one isn't bad so I haven't got off my *** and done it yet.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Today I picked up a 145amp KG3 option alternator from LKQ for 63 bucks (the lady waved the core charge!) Got the one year warranty with it too.

Went straight to an advance auto and had it checked out. They said it worked great. Drove home. Installed it and just as advertised it worked fantastic. ZERO flicker, no more voltage drop at idle. Amazing.

I must say. Thank you for your ingenuity and posting a fix to the problem many of us have had.

To everyone else: If your hesitating on doing this upgrade. DONT!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:18 PM
11 Second Club

The truck alternator is physicaly bigger right
Old 08-14-2012, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Yes it is
Old 08-15-2012, 02:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

but it still fits
Old 08-16-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
No that isn't the right pigtail

This is the AC Delco pt1136
http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-PT1136.../dp/B000C9QDR8

Ebay has one with just one wire instead of 4. They are the same, except one comes with all 4 ports pinned and wired, the other comes with just the 1. Either one is fine.
K I'm a little confused.... I just ordered the single wire pigtail from ebay for $14... not sure what this 4 wire one is all about as the setup on my car only has the one red wire...?

and is this the right alternator?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=kg3+145

I've got a 6.0 LQ4 Motor out of an '02 Silverado if that makes any difference...

Last edited by Soul TKR; 08-16-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

the plug is a 4 wire connector.........but uses only 1 wire......thats why you always see 4 wire being mentioned

its hard to tell with ebay alts.........you cant tell if they are 4 wire or 2
Old 08-24-2012, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just had my 4th alternator die in a year and was wondering WTF to do. now I know, looks like I'm headed to the junkyard. thank you for this nice bit of info!
Old 08-24-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

another thing that might help people locate these, if it hasn't been posted already, go to car-part.com select 2003, chevy silverado 1500(1999 up), alternator and put in your zip code. it will come up and ask you if you want the 105 or the 145. select 145 and it will display all that are available in the yards around you
Old 08-29-2012, 04:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went back to Autozone and got a NEW alternator vs. a rebuilt one and so far so good. But before I did that I tried going with one of their NEW Gold Series alternators from an '02 Silverado 2500 HD (145amp). Brought it home, tried to install it and everything looked great except it was missing a bolt hole on the back of it (only had 2 vs. 3 on the stock one). So I had to turn around and bring it back for a stock one instead
Old 08-29-2012, 06:04 PM
11 Second Club

Ya the truck alts only have 2
Old 08-29-2012, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

bolt hole on the back? do you mean the bracket on the stocker? if so........the truck alt works just FINE without it
Old 09-04-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is this whT yalls 145amps look like?

Name:  1346805185.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  82.1 KB
Old 09-04-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

pretty much........plenty of pics in this thread
Old 09-05-2012, 05:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
pretty much........plenty of pics in this thread
I looked thru about 10pages and didn't see any. It's "pretty much" the same? Will it pretty much do the job?

This is why I posted a pic.

Can Anyone else confirm this one? It's a 105amp but i used it to double check the fitment on mine. And will order a 145 soon and hope they are the same dimensions.

Quick Reply: The fix for my endless alternator failure's