Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i cant figure this out for my life

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i cant figure this out for my life

ok i know ive posted about this b4 but im having some big problems....once again something under the car is hitting...i cant figure out what...i shaved down my kmember more the other day and i bogged today and i got thumping again....i have about an inch and a half of clearance everywhere around the y pipe....it does sound like its on the driver side....this just recently just started again...its been fine sine Oct. until the other day....WTF IS WRONG???? should i get a bracket wielded in to keep the pipe from hitting and go from there or am i missing something?? HELLPPPP!!!
Old 01-14-2004, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you know it's your exhaust? Look for marks on the frame of the car.

Does it happen when you shift hard? Could be a broken tranny mount. But if you say it happened, then went away, then happened again thats probably not it.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u dont have poly mounts, the ypipe coudl still be hittin under the driver side of the car. did on my friends SS. check where the torque arm is too.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beast
ok i know ive posted about this b4 but im having some big problems....once again something under the car is hitting...i cant figure out what...i shaved down my kmember more the other day and i bogged today and i got thumping again....i have about an inch and a half of clearance everywhere around the y pipe....it does sound like its on the driver side....this just recently just started again...its been fine sine Oct. until the other day....WTF IS WRONG???? should i get a bracket wielded in to keep the pipe from hitting and go from there or am i missing something?? HELLPPPP!!!
The driver side.. ok. Is it like up by the gas pedal or under your seat or in the rear?
Old 01-14-2004, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

if u can feel it in the floor its the ypipe, next time u drive it try and "feel" for it
Old 01-14-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're ypipe is likely hitting under the floorboard by the drivers side. Just weld a valve spring between the floorboard and the ypipe. It will make you're exhaust more solid. Worked for me.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

damn thats original, never heard of that one lol pretty sweet
Old 01-14-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think its under the seat i think...not sure though...and the valve spring idea...definitely a good one...when u say valve spring do u mean like one out the engine or a different "valve" spring(sorry guys im still learnin) would a muffler shop have a spring like that because i dont have the knowledge nor the tools to weld myself? this **** just chaps my ***.....
Old 01-14-2004, 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

if its under the seat check if its hitting the torque arm, do me a favor. put the car in reverse and go, make it bog and then do it with the revs up and let me know what u hear, if anything
Old 01-14-2004, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok...i did that in first and it didnt do anything...i dunno if its different from reverse as far as movement...just thought i would let you know
Old 01-14-2004, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

if u go in revers it will force the torque arm onto the pipe if its close enough. so if u hear it bang when u do that its hitting the torque, that was my problem thats why im asking
Old 01-14-2004, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok...feel free to flame me for this one...what part is the torque arm...is that the black part where the ypipe starts to go inward towards the middle?
Old 01-15-2004, 02:17 AM
10 Second Club

the torque arm bolts to the tranny then to the rearend
Old 01-15-2004, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

its black and sort of a wedge shape, like 02z28 said it bolts on the tranny and then on the rear end. on the driver side of the drive shaft
Old 01-15-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok well i put it in reverse and torqued it....and the pipes moved and got somewhat close, but didnt hit...i couldnt hear any actual hitting but i had a friend come out and check it with me and he said he thought that it sounded like it was farther up front, but that he wasnt sure...he also said it looked like the pipes were close even though they werent hitting..could the pipes move more when im driving causing them to knock or do you think its up front with the headers?
Old 01-15-2004, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah the pipe will move a lot more than the headers due to the fact its father down line, i little wobble up front could be a big wobble 3 feet back. when u put the drivtrain under a torque load they will move a LOT more than when you are sitting still. im willing to bet its hittin that cross brace welded to the frame right under the driver side. u did grind down the kmember right?
Old 01-15-2004, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
yeah the pipe will move a lot more than the headers due to the fact its father down line, i little wobble up front could be a big wobble 3 feet back. when u put the drivtrain under a torque load they will move a LOT more than when you are sitting still. im willing to bet its hittin that cross brace welded to the frame right under the driver side. u did grind down the kmember right?
Yep. It's probably hitting underneath your seat at the cross brace. The valve spring I was talking about is the one from the engine. Not sure if you know someone with a shop but it shouldn't cost more than $20 to weld one in there. Pretty easy to do.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i went to the muffler shop and they couldnt figure out exactly what it was hitting. they told me the best thing for me to do would have a chain connected to the engine and wielded to the frame to keep it from moving? they said they dont do it but that a shop down the street should. should i do this instead. they told me i should pick up some torque since i wont lose it from movement in the engine...
Old 01-17-2004, 01:32 PM
Banned

Rolling On The Floor Laughing My *** Off!!! ..J/K..dont do that

Last edited by Hugger SS; 01-17-2004 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Beast
well i went to the muffler shop and they couldnt figure out exactly what it was hitting. they told me the best thing for me to do would have a chain connected to the engine and wielded to the frame to keep it from moving? they said they dont do it but that a shop down the street should. should i do this instead. they told me i should pick up some torque since i wont lose it from movement in the engine...

LOL! I would not do that. If I were you I would try the valve spring idea first.