Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DMH cutout for borla?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default DMH cutout for borla?

I am looking to pick up a e-cutout for my borla catback so that I can quiet it down when leaving early and around cops. Is DMH still prefered over QTP?

Also anyone has pics/suggestions on how to run the wiring into the cabin?

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the double diamond sub frame connectors and I zip tie the wiring from the cutout motor to the sub frame connector and then in the foot well on the passenger side back seat there is a rubber plug in the center of the foot well....I cut a X in the center of the rubber plug and ran the wire up through the plug and then tied a knot in the wire so it will not pull back through the plug..I then filled the plug with PVC sealer and ran the wires under the carpet up under the consol and used the hot wire from the cigerette lighter for power with a fused link to the switch... I cut a hole in the botton of the ash tray to mount the switch out of sight...did this about 5 1/2 years ago and it works perfect....DMH is the only cutout to buy...Dave the owner is a great guy and his customer service is the best....no water leaks and no cutting holes in the car to route the wires..it is a good clean instilation without any problems.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

cool, thanks for the info. So sounds like it should be a pretty straight forward install. As far as tapping into the cig. lighter...did you do both positive and negative to that?
And does it come with an inline-fuse or do I have to get one?

Also any suggestions on where to order one from? I know TSP carries the QTP one, but havent found a sponsor with the DMH one
Old 06-17-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

DMH looks to be a quality part.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see more and more people having problems with DMH. Doesnt answer the phone doesnt return emails, doesnt do what he says, cutouts rattling. I would look into another brand beside DMH.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Hard Core Z28
I see more and more people having problems with DMH. Doesnt answer the phone doesnt return emails, doesnt do what he says, cutouts rattling. I would look into another brand beside DMH.
Any suggestions then? I have only heard of QTP and DMH...?
Old 06-17-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm wondering what your car sounds like now. Borla makes it pretty loud. I can't imagine it being louder! I must have done something bc I'm only 21 and I used to run my cut out all the time with LT headers and ORY. Now I get horrible headaches now and I have to keep the cap on
Old 06-18-2010, 05:36 AM
TECH Resident

The car is loud now...hence why I am getting the cutout (see original post). I have been running the open plate, but since the H&C, the neighbors get alittle pissy when I leave at 5am. Plus there have been alot more cops lately.
The cutout wide open will be the same loudness as it is now, which I love when I go WOT.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

I can only speak for QTP and mine crapped out after bout 6 months. They wanted to charge me $35 for them to refurbish it and I would have to ship at my own expense.
As far as wiring I just removed that little light under the ashtray and used that as my power.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Where are you going to put the cutout?
Old 06-18-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1Tuner_06
Where are you going to put the cutout?
Where the adjustable plates go....so I do not have to jack the car up and manually switch them out when I want a louder/quieter sound...this way I can do it on the go....ie: after I pull out of the neighborhood.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:08 AM
Teching In

this might be a stupid question, but the with the DMH can you put the passenger side tip back on, or does it gotta go if you put the cutout in place of the plate?
Old 06-19-2010, 05:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WagnutSS
this might be a stupid question, but the with the DMH can you put the passenger side tip back on, or does it gotta go if you put the cutout in place of the plate?
it gose in the place of the plates, the tip gose back on but it gose furthur out the rear bumper by les than half a inch, so u have to adjust (pull out) the driver side tip out as much.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

btw i vote for DMH e-cutout, thats what i have, it works good and it fits even better.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's odd, I've heard the COMPLETE opposite... especially since DMH has a 4 year warranty on theirs. I have though heard many of these stories about the QTP's...

Originally Posted by PassoutWilly
I can only speak for QTP and mine crapped out after bout 6 months. They wanted to charge me $35 for them to refurbish it and I would have to ship at my own expense.
As far as wiring I just removed that little light under the ashtray and used that as my power.
Perfect example... If QTP stood behind their product you wouldn't be charged for this. I can somewhat understand the shipping expenses, even though you shouldn't have to pay ANYTHING in the warranty period if THEIR part craps out on you. But the charge to "refurbish" it is non-sense... sacrificing customer service to make a buck will eventually start to make an impact on how people view that company...
Old 06-19-2010, 08:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
That's odd, I've heard the COMPLETE opposite... especially since DMH has a 4 year warranty on theirs. I have though heard many of these stories about the QTP's...

Perfect example... If QTP stood behind their product you wouldn't be charged for this. I can somewhat understand the shipping expenses, even though you shouldn't have to pay ANYTHING in the warranty period if THEIR part craps out on you. But the charge to "refurbish" it is non-sense... sacrificing customer service to make a buck will eventually start to make an impact on how people view that company...
When i read on other forums that DMH doesnt even respond to emails or answer the phone there warranty is useless. So having this fancy warranty isnt worth **** if the they dont respond to a warranty claim or take 2 months to fix something. Check out other forums, same thing over and over. And the cutout rattles. over by me everyone had the same issue with them as well.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I ordered a DMH cutout off of KY Speeds website almost a month ago. Emailed them sunday night to tell them i thought there was a problem bc i havent recieved it. KY speed responded the next day saying they were going to call DMH to check the status and they haven't emailed me back 6 days later. Looks like i will be trying to get in touch with DMH themselves.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

When i read on other forums that DMH doesnt even respond to emails or answer the phone there warranty is useless. So having this fancy warranty isnt worth **** if the they dont respond to a warranty claim or take 2 months to fix something. Check out other forums, same thing over and over. And the cutout rattles. over by me everyone had the same issue with them as well.
Dude if you dial up DMH pone number you will get Dave the owner...I have never had any problem getting a hold of him...I have 165,000 + miles and over 5 1/2 years on my DMH and it works just as good as the day I installed it...an no rattles either .

Last edited by Patrick G; 06-21-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Sponsor bashing removed.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

I ordered the qtp before I knew that DMH made one. I have had it on for 3 years now with no issues. (if it craps I will get DMH) I routed my wiring in the plug from spare tire area, under the carpet to center console. I have n20 and have all my power for everything coming from the unused tcs plug in the console. I then took the huge *** qtp switch and ditched it, wired it up to the remote bottle opener switch on my n20 plate. Works awesome and is much cleaner than others I have seen.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by peterlawl84
cool, thanks for the info. So sounds like it should be a pretty straight forward install. As far as tapping into the cig. lighter...did you do both positive and negative to that?
And does it come with an inline-fuse or do I have to get one?

Also any suggestions on where to order one from? I know TSP carries the QTP one, but havent found a sponsor with the DMH one
I bought a inline fuse and wired it to the hot wire on the lighter..and grounded the negitive side to the sloor pan of the car..

Just call DMH direct and ask to speak with Dave .. he is the owner ... I had mine in three days after I ordered it.

Last edited by Patrick G; 06-21-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Non-sponsor contact info removed. DMH is not a sponsor of LS1Tech.

Quick Reply: DMH cutout for borla?