Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't tell if my exhaust is hitting.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 07:03 PM
STF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can't tell if my exhaust is hitting.

I just installed Pacesetters and a ORY and my car doesn't feel any faster. I notched the k member so I don't think it is hitting there. It makes a small thump sometimes at take off. And it feels like someone is under my floorboard playing a drum roll at low RPM's. Is that the y-pipe hitting the floor board or is that my engine vibrating the car? What does the y-pipe hitting the floorboard sound like?
Old 01-19-2004, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Your y-pipe is probably hitting. I had to heat up my Pacesetter y-pipe and bend down some to keep if from hitting the floor.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
I just installed Pacesetters and a ORY and my car doesn't feel any faster. I notched the k member so I don't think it is hitting there. It makes a small thump sometimes at take off. And it feels like someone is under my floorboard playing a drum roll at low RPM's. Is that the y-pipe hitting the floor board or is that my engine vibrating the car? What does the y-pipe hitting the floorboard sound like?
Yeah, its your y-pipe. I wish I would have never bought that POS, but oh well... I just put heater hose between the Y and the floor pan in two spots with band clamps for now. Works great but I dont know how long they will last.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:48 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by Revelation222
Yeah, its your y-pipe. I wish I would have never bought that POS, but oh well... I just put heater hose between the Y and the floor pan in two spots with band clamps for now. Works great but I dont know how long they will last.
Do you have any pics? I don't exactly understand how you did yours. Or if you could try to explain it better for us slow people.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used the heater hose for my y pipe also. If you know someone who can weld or have a welder yourself and get a hold of an old valve spring (or even new) weld a valve spring between the drivers side of your y pipe and floorboard. You'll get a lot less vibration and your exhaust will sound more solid. Welding the fittings also helps. Doing all of the above actually changed the nature of my exhaust. In a good way.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its weird mine pretty much fit perfect. guess i was lucky?
Old 01-19-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have any pics? I don't exactly understand how you did yours. Or if you could try to explain it better for us slow people.
No I dont have any pics..its not something im really proud of

Just get some 1 1/2" to 3" heater hose, cut it into 4 inch sections (I only needed two pieces). Then split the hose long-ways, you can use a utility knife or box cutter. Then look under the drivers side of the car. Mine was hitting on the first bend off of the header and also about 2 ft down from that spot on the same pipe. Stuff the piece of hose in between the pipe and the floor pan on both spots and then use 3 1/2" - 4" band clamps to secure the hose to the Y-pipe...Then go to the nearest side street and have a little fun Dont know if I can make it much simpler, but if you are still having problems PM me and Ill see if I can get some pictures for ya.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:09 PM
STF Veteran

I know this is probably a stupid question but, did you use a rubber heater hose or metal? Forgive the stupidity.

Edit: I think it just clicked in my head. I was thinking all this time that you used rubber hose and stuffed it in between the ORY and the floor pan. I didn't realize that you cut your y-pipe and replaced it with heater hose.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know this is probably a stupid question but, did you use a rubber heater hose or metal? Forgive the stupidity.

Edit: I think it just clicked in my head. I was thinking all this time that you used rubber hose and stuffed it in between the ORY and the floor pan. I didn't realize that you cut your y-pipe and replaced it with heater hose.
No he stuffed it in between. He didnt cut the y-pipe.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Revelation222
I tried this too but I am using 3.5 inch worm style band clamps and I can't keep them tight. Eventually they work their way lose and I lose the hose. I have even tried loctite. I will figure out something this off season though.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:22 AM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by 14u2nv
I tried this too but I am using 3.5 inch worm style band clamps and I can't keep them tight. Eventually they work their way lose and I lose the hose. I have even tried loctite. I will figure out something this off season though.
Maybe try to nuts per bolt.