Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Filter: K&N or Paper Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Element
The fitment of most f-body lids at the back is pretty poor, so it's likely you're just noticing the seal because it's orange, rather than irregular fitment of the lid due to the filter.
That's why I put a strip of weatherstrip on the top of the backside of the air filter. The SLP lid comes with a strip that goes on the underside of the lid for that reason.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Element;13702695]
Originally Posted by jam01

I got rid of my K&N (along with that truck) years ago. On top of that, I have neither the time, money, nor desire to attempt to take K&N to court, which would be pretty pointless anyway, as they'd simply have to add a fine-text amendment to their warranty/warning paperwork that wouldn't make any difference to anyone, it'd simply be a legal ***-covering on K&Ns part.

Run whatever filter you like, I really don't give a good damn what sort of **** you wind up with in your oil, how long your bearings last, or how much better you think a K&N is over a paper filter. You have an issue with people posting anecdotal evidence about why K&N filters suck - irrelevant to the thread, and you haven't posted any empirical data on your part showing that K&N filters don't suck, merely made vague mention of some "tests" people did that obtained "legitimate data". If I were that detailed in the environmental engineering reports I write every day about prototype part failures, I'd get fired.

/hijack
no i have a problem with people posting bs and bashing a product with no proof of there claims.
you or anyone else has proven that they dont do as advertised. all i asked was prove it or just stop posting bs, i really dont think filing a claim would cost you anything. im sure you could find somebody that still has the car with a k&n filter that would help you. but i do find it funny that you dont have that vehicle any more, convenience sure works for you. and you ask me to prove why i use k&n and feel that they work, my car is in the garage. what would you like me to do ( within reason ) and really this wouldnt prove anything except what i posted. you my friend hijacked this thread and others like it with bs. thank's again jim
Old 08-07-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the K & N filter and just replaced it with a fram filter.. there is hardly any difference at all. i went with the fram cuz i was too lazy to try and clean the KN filter..LOL.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Air Filter: K&N or Paper Filter?-05252010-picture-sell-stuff-001.jpg how did that happen
Old 08-07-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RevGTO
That's why I put a strip of weatherstrip on the top of the backside of the air filter. The SLP lid comes with a strip that goes on the underside of the lid for that reason.

....x2
Old 08-07-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

Attachment 246797 how did that happen

Too much power.It completely disintegrated the Lid.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no i have a problem with people posting bs and bashing a product with no proof of there claims.
you or anyone else has proven that they dont do as advertised. all i asked was prove it or just stop posting bs, i really dont think filing a claim would cost you anything. im sure you could find somebody that still has the car with a k&n filter that would help you. but i do find it funny that you dont have that vehicle any more, convenience sure works for you. and you ask me to prove why i use k&n and feel that they work, my car is in the garage. what would you like me to do ( within reason ) and really this wouldnt prove anything except what i posted. you my friend hijacked this thread and others like it with bs. thank's again jim
How the flying **** do you want me to "prove" it - I don't have the truck, filter, or oil that came out of it. I don't know anyone who uses K&N filters, and if you got off your lazy *** and did some research on the plethora of other car-related forums that are out there, you would find scores of threads with people claiming - and showing - the exact thing I've been saying. Filing a lawsuit against K&N wouldn't mean **** - fraudulent lawsuits are filed every day, so where you get this "If they make a lawsuit it will prove they are right" bullshit is beyond me.

I had that truck in college, it wound up shooting a rod and windowing the block because of a blown oil line (something 4x4 S-10s are known for, although I'm sure you'll claim I need substantive evidence proving that), so I got rid of it and bought a Nissan. If you've got nothing to go on other than personal attacks claiming I'm lying, you might want to just stop posting.

If you want to "prove your position", go find all that "legitimate" data you were talking about and post it here. Every single bit. You are the one claiming I'm wrong, therefore the proof of burden is on you to prove, through third-party testing, that K&N filters do what you say they do.

I didn't hijack anything - instead of offering YOUR opinion, you start claiming other people are lying and in order to "prove their claims", they're evidently supposed to file a lawsuit against K&N.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Element
How the flying **** do you want me to "prove" it - I don't have the truck, filter, or oil that came out of it. I don't know anyone who uses K&N filters, and if you got off your lazy *** and did some research on the plethora of other car-related forums that are out there, you would find scores of threads with people claiming - and showing - the exact thing I've been saying. Filing a lawsuit against K&N wouldn't mean **** - fraudulent lawsuits are filed every day, so where you get this "If they make a lawsuit it will prove they are right" bullshit is beyond me.

I had that truck in college, it wound up shooting a rod and windowing the block because of a blown oil line (something 4x4 S-10s are known for, although I'm sure you'll claim I need substantive evidence proving that), so I got rid of it and bought a Nissan. If you've got nothing to go on other than personal attacks claiming I'm lying, you might want to just stop posting.

If you want to "prove your position", go find all that "legitimate" data you were talking about and post it here. Every single bit. You are the one claiming I'm wrong, therefore the proof of burden is on you to prove, through third-party testing, that K&N filters do what you say they do.

I didn't hijack anything - instead of offering YOUR opinion, you start claiming other people are lying and in order to "prove their claims", they're evidently supposed to file a lawsuit against K&N.

what the heck are you talking about, you are the one making claims against a product, my cars have never had a problem with a k&n filter. as far as forums there are just as many claims for as against. and how was my opinionon your claim not an opinion on a filter, but really all you did was bash a product with NO PROOF. i didnt say you had to file a lawsuit just to prove who is right, it was really meant that if you experienced what you claim and damage was done to your vehicle. then you or whoever has a case against them, so then that wouldnt be a fraudulent case. i never called you a liar, if you feel that way i am sorry for that. i dont know you and i am not trying to attack you personally. but when something that i have used on numerous cars with out a problem is bashed with nothing but words, i try to defend it.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Regular

Old 08-07-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MillerTime85
+1...I'm done troll feeding.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:28 AM
Teching In

wow everyone just chill out...why can't we be friends
Old 08-08-2010, 04:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm pretty sure if my motor pops it's not gonna be because of the filter. it'd be from all the horrible horrible things i do to it
Old 08-08-2010, 06:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MillerTime85
LMAO, of course it will!

to the OP, this subject has been beat to death!
Old 08-08-2010, 06:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
i'm pretty sure if my motor pops it's not gonna be because of the filter. it'd be from all the horrible horrible things i do to it
i lol'ed at this too.

and yet these master-tech's think an air filter caused it. lol
Old 08-08-2010, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the patience to clean the the filter properly you shouldn't have a problem. I use a kitty litter tray filled with soapy water to make sure that I get rid of the dirt. Let the filter dry then apply the oil and let it sit in the sun to absorb all the oil. It takes some time.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

im gonna bring this thread back. i have a debaffled hood on my WS6 and the filter does get wet during washes and rain. I've been running my car with a standard paper filter. The paper filter maybe had 2000 miles (filter not full of dirt) on it maybe in the car a few months and let me tell you it doesn't let the motor breath like when the filter was new. I switched to a KandN due to the cotton's integrity towards moisture and wetness.

I kept this filter and will do back to back testing on the dyno which should be in the next few weeks.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

seriously who runs filters anymore...
Old 10-03-2010, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

I have a k&n in my car but I'm getting ready to trash it.

No serious racer in the atv/dirt bike world uses k&n (fabric) style airfilters because they just pass too much dirt. The few (dragracers) who absolutely insist on it usually put these special socks on them called outerwears. What's that tell ya?

Every high performance offroad bike made comes stock with a FOAM airfilter, which is the only way to go if you want a reusable filter that actually traps dirt. Paper is not feasible offroad because the massive amount of dirt would require you to replace it after every ride.

Can't tell you how many clogged carbs and blown motors I've seen from fabric filters. Foam filters get clogged like crazy after a ride, but your intake will be spotless if you oiled it properly.

The other point I wanna make is the F-body airbox designs are horrible from a filtration point of view. It is impossible to know for sure if the filter is sealed ALL the way around the lid. It's a joke, really. Pop the seat off a new quad or dirt bike if you wanna see a real airbox, where the filter is actually attached to the intake tract. Remember these vehicles cannot afford to have lackluster air filtration.

I'm actually tossing around the idea of making custom air intake using a pipe, a big foam filter, and a big hoseclamp to actually clamp the filter to the pipe. But I also like ram air, and that would require more fabrication than I'm probably capable of, lol.

Last edited by chevynation; 10-03-2010 at 12:25 AM. Reason: typos
Old 10-03-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Guys, if you want to pay that kind of money for 1 or 2 horsepower... cool. But USE A SHOPVAC BEFORE YOU INSTALL IT OR AFTER IT"S OILED!!!!!!! It will remove excess oil and you won't be taking a qtip and alcohol to your maf.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

the point of my thread was my observation of the moisture effecting the properties of the paper filter.

edit: i mean i could be wrong. i was posting this maybe someone knows if the fiber properties of the paper won't change due to it being wet. But i do know for a fact the media in the kandn will not be effected by moisture thats the reason for my change.

Last edited by disc0monkey; 10-04-2010 at 08:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Air Filter: K&N or Paper Filter?