Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to get rid of rasp in exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Gunn
Cats will get rid if rasp as well as anything.

Originally Posted by '02TA
True duals = No Rasp

/thread
Believe me, if I had to do it again I would have spent the extra $ and gone either route.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Has anyone mentioned the borla xr-1 on the I pipe yet? I did some research a while back and that's what a lot of people recommend for rasp.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok I'm bumping this thread because I have my car back on the road after a 9 month hiatus from a blown trans. I hate the way this car sounds and want to get rid of rasp. My setup is
Pacestter 1 3/4 longtube headers+TSP off road Y+hooker muffler

should I get a flowmaster or magnaflow merge? I pipe? magnaflow muffler to deepen tone or keep hooker?
Old 03-24-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My set up has no rasp..

Nawt
Old 03-25-2012, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey thanks for the help...

Nawt

Nawt
Old 03-25-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Black98T/A
Ok I'm bumping this thread because I have my car back on the road after a 9 month hiatus from a blown trans. I hate the way this car sounds and want to get rid of rasp. My setup is

should I get a flowmaster or magnaflow merge? I pipe? magnaflow muffler to deepen tone or keep hooker?
I am surprised that setup is raspy. I know for a fact that if you weld cats in it will kill all the rasp. I have heard that setup in person many times. To be honest all ory setups have alittle rasp. I dont think the magnaflow muffler would help. Those are a bit louder than the hker.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

are you running the new TSP y pipe or the old TSP thats the same as the PC y? the new one i just ordered looks like it has the flowmaster merge on it. did you read thru this thread? many ppl just say put a bullet muffler in and it will take away rasp, the flowsater merge will not.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
I am surprised that setup is raspy. I know for a fact that if you weld cats in it will kill all the rasp. I have heard that setup in person many times. To be honest all ory setups have alittle rasp. I dont think the magnaflow muffler would help. Those are a bit louder than the hker.
It sounds like **** IMO..high pitched and no "muscle car rumble" it sounds ok WOT but that's it. Welding cats in is probably my last option. My computer is tuned for no cats, my air and egr is removed and the expense isn't worth it. Like I said had I had to do it again I would have gone with the TSP catted y. it even "felt" better with stock manifolds and cats driving around.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mikh338
are you running the new TSP y pipe or the old TSP thats the same as the PC y? the new one i just ordered looks like it has the flowmaster merge on it. did you read thru this thread? many ppl just say put a bullet muffler in and it will take away rasp, the flowsater merge will not.
Well that's also what I'm trying to figure out. I bought it last march from TSP so I think it's the new style. I guess I can get under there and take a pic to know for sure. When you say bullet muffler do you mean the dynomax?
Old 03-25-2012, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

It sounds like **** IMO..high pitched and no "muscle car rumble" it sounds ok WOT but that's it. Welding cats in is probably my last option. My computer is tuned for no cats, my air and egr is removed and the expense isn't worth it. Like I said had I had to do it again I would have gone with the TSP catted y. it even "felt" better with stock manifolds and cats driving around.
I guess you could try magnaflow. It does have a deeper tone but its alittle louder than the hooker. My buddy had the magnaflow with long tubes and the off road pipes. It sounded pretty tame so he installed a cut out.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mikh338
You're talking about putting a bullet muffler in the I pipe right?
Old 03-25-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

Well that's also what I'm trying to figure out. I bought it last march from TSP so I think it's the new style. I guess I can get under there and take a pic to know for sure. When you say bullet muffler do you mean the dynomax?
is it stainless steel? here is the link for the new one which has the flowmaster merge. http://www.texas-speed.com/p-293-tex...ad-y-pipe.aspx
if you compare this to the old tsp y or the PC y like i have you can notice how much better the merge is. and bullet mufflers come in many different brands but yes dynomax is one of them.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll look and take a pic..I bought it new last march from speed inc who got it from TSP. when did the newer style come out? I remember speaking to someone on the phone at TSP last uear about the rasp problem and I think they said I have the newer style but can't remember.

Also are you talking about putting a bullet muffler in the I pipe or axle back?
Old 03-25-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

I'll look and take a pic..I bought it new last march from speed inc who got it from TSP. when did the newer style come out? I remember speaking to someone on the phone at TSP last uear about the rasp problem and I think they said I have the newer style but can't remember.

Also are you talking about putting a bullet muffler in the I pipe or axle back?
well if its stainless steel its the new style. the old style was not stainless IIRC. My buddy put his bullet muffler in his i pipe and solved all his rasp. he has a 01 ss with the CME and i think he has another muffler back there as well. ill double check with him.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought the y pipe from speed inc it was $129.99 part # tsp25-tspy
I got it from them because they offered free shipping and told me it was the same one on the tsp web site.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I called TSP this morning and according to them the one I have is Carbon steel with the newer merge...which is supposedly the same as the flowmaster merge so that probably won't help.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got kooks 1 7/8 headers and kooks true duals off road version and no rasp even to 7,600 rpm
Old 03-26-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'll post my write up again of how to eliminate rasp

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...vids-pics.html
Old 03-26-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

torchd 02 ta setup is supreme! If you want no cats then a FM merge and the powerstick is a must for no rasp. If you have cats then there should be little to no rasp. How do i know this. I READ THE WRITE UPS!!! torchd lays it all out for you if you want no cats + no rasp. Quit bumping threads and read ppl. Sorry just saying. Im a jerk, im taking classes for that!
Old 03-26-2012, 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Drokkers
torchd 02 ta setup is supreme! If you want no cats then a FM merge and the powerstick is a must for no rasp. If you have cats then there should be little to no rasp. How do i know this. I READ THE WRITE UPS!!! torchd lays it all out for you if you want no cats + no rasp. Quit bumping threads and read ppl. Sorry just saying. Im a jerk, im taking classes for that!
Um..torchd has a completely different set up then me...I have a TSP off road Y which as I just found out already has a FM merge and a hooker muffler...torchd has a Kooks ORY and GMMG catback. About the only thing I can get from that thread is trying the power stick muffler in the I pipe.

Quick Reply: how to get rid of rasp in exhaust?