Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true duals with cats?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default true duals with cats?

I was just wondering if it's possible to run LT's to true dual exhaust with catalytic converters...I know there's an option of catted y-pipe or ORY but TD's definitely have my interest right now
Old 09-08-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They can be located in the same place as they are on a catted y-pipe. Duals don't really start looking different until after that point, right before the Y or X or H junction. Have you looked at the True Duals sticky?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ferrerid=13535
Old 09-08-2010, 07:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

True duals are about as illegal exhaust as you can get, so putting cats on it still might not get you by emissions unless someone can pass you. In which case, why bother wasting the money?
Old 09-08-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

why are they illegal? they come stock on cars.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Question

lol...where does the OP mention that he's trying to pass emissions? There are other reasons for running cats than making the feds happy. And please explain why true duals are the most illegal exhaust you can get, I need a good laugh this evening.

Originally Posted by WSsick
True duals are about as illegal exhaust as you can get, so putting cats on it still might not get you by emissions unless someone can pass you. In which case, why bother wasting the money?
Old 09-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Banned

Illegal?
Old 09-08-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HavATampa
lol...where does the OP mention that he's trying to pass emissions? There are other reasons for running cats than making the feds happy. And please explain why true duals are the most illegal exhaust you can get, I need a good laugh this evening.
Well, most are dumped at the axle, which is illegal since the exhaust exits underneath what's still considered the passenger cabin, and most people running true duals are also running long tubes, and as far as I'm aware, anything that moves the cats qualifies as "Yep, that's not gonna work" for a visual inspection. Not to mention all the broken noise ordinances.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Banned

I just don't get why you would be on this site if your worrying about being legal.... especially for those who live in California!
Old 09-08-2010, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
why are they illegal? they come stock on cars.
I am saying duals are illegal, not cats.

Originally Posted by NoTractionLS1
Illegal?
Duals move the cat(s) if you keep them, duals eliminate the cat if you go that route, moves the placement of muffler, and theres probably more. These are all ILLEGAL in my state and will cause you to fail a legitimate emissions test. How are those facts for a laugh?

Also, I said "about" and did not say they are the most illegal. longtubes with a muffler off the collector would probably take that, or just open headers.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NoTractionLS1
I just don't get why you would be on this site if your worrying about being legal.... especially for those who live in California!
there are plenty of people who try to get an emissions legal cam for california rules on here. strange, but they still are here.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

That is funny because duals don't move the cats, LT's do. I just don't understand why you guys got off on this illegal rant. The OP never asked for a lawyers opinion that I can tell, just had a question about running duals and cats.

Originally Posted by WSsick
I am saying duals are illegal, not cats.

Duals move the cat(s) if you keep them, duals eliminate the cat if you go that route, moves the placement of muffler, and theres probably more. These are all ILLEGAL in my state and will cause you to fail a legitimate emissions test. How are those facts for a laugh?

Also, I said "about" and did not say they are the most illegal. longtubes with a muffler off the collector would probably take that, or just open headers.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

6LE runs 3 inch catted duals with LM1 resonators, its loud but its definitely quieter than some ORY cars around here
Old 09-09-2010, 06:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if you have cats and run duals all the way back i cant see that being a problem.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

That is funny because duals don't move the cats, LT's do. I just don't understand why you guys got off on this illegal rant. The OP never asked for a lawyers opinion that I can tell, just had a question about running duals and cats.
Some people don't realise that changing exhaust setups can fubar their luck when it's time for a visual/emissions inspection. Aside from that, I think it was simply thinking that the OP wanted to keep the cats to be legal rather than changing the exhaust sound or cutting down on fumes.

I've got dumped duals with no cats...WV's a no-emissions state and all I have to do it slap on pipe extensions to get the exhaust out the back (I can ride around with 5 people in the back of a pickup truck legally, but if I move the exhaust exit location from the stock position, my car fails inspection...typical legal bullshit).
Old 09-09-2010, 10:34 AM
12 Second Club

Sorry, I guess you are right, I should have said if you have LTs they will be mvoed, although with duals MOST (not all though) have LTs.

Originally Posted by Element
Some people don't realise that changing exhaust setups can fubar their luck when it's time for a visual/emissions inspection. Aside from that, I think it was simply thinking that the OP wanted to keep the cats to be legal rather than changing the exhaust sound or cutting down on fumes.

I've got dumped duals with no cats...WV's a no-emissions state and all I have to do it slap on pipe extensions to get the exhaust out the back (I can ride around with 5 people in the back of a pickup truck legally, but if I move the exhaust exit location from the stock position, my car fails inspection...typical legal bullshit).
Old 09-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

oh ok sorry guys, i must have skipped over the part mentioning cats in the td's sticky. anyways, yeah i was wondering about that to pass emissions. i live in illinois and all they do for emissions is plug in under the steering wheel. i didn't know that they're illegal...even if you keep the cats and all emissions stuff, LT's are illegal?
Old 09-09-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

lol...about time you get back in here and give us some more information. Everything the lawyers said above is true...but is based upon the state they live in. I live in La. and they plug in and read the computer codes but don't do a visual inspection under the car for placement of cats, mufflers and pipes and they don't sniff the tailpipe....sounds like the same issue in your state. You can get away with LT's in that case with or without cats as long as the car isn't throwing codes. How you go about doing that is up to you. I'm sure eventually all states will have strict laws similar to Ca., but for now, every state is different on what they look for during an inspection. And just because you put cats on LT's doesn't necessarily mean you will pass a sniffer test either.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:34 PM
12 Second Club

If its just a plug in, then make sure your codes are deleted and you should be fine (tune).
Old 09-10-2010, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

haha i know but we just started team conditioning this week so i haven't been able to go on here as much as usual...anyways i would get it tuned anyways cause i hate having the check engine light on. so sounds like this might be in my future haha thanks guys
Old 09-11-2010, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

I've got a pretty loud car on my hands. I recently had my car inspected and it passed beautifully. Exhaust setup is in the sig. Here's a clip of her idling. I passed with the exhaust seen/heard there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLl-Nt-3KaM

Quick Reply: true duals with cats?