Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

people w/ e-cutouts what switch r u using?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Default people w/ e-cutouts what switch r u using?

I have a qtp cutout. It came with a toggle switch. Two posistion momentary on switch. I was wanting to put the switch in the ashtray panel I got from HSW. The switch is to tall to close the door.

I went to radio shack and they didn't have anything.

Any help would greatly be appreciated
Old 09-25-2010, 01:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That's exactly where I put my switch (the ash tray). I took the tray out and drilled a hole in it to fit the switch that came with my QTP Ovals. I took some pictures so I could make a writeup...but I've been lazy...hell I've been lazy to finish editing my MM & Headers writeup. Here's a sneak peak....

Here's the hole I drilled in the tray.

Here's a view of how long the switch assembly was from QTP. It's all taped up when you get it.

And here's the finished product:

The lid closes without clearance issues.

The only thing I remember is that I got lucky because I drilled a hole in the tray in a place where I thought the switch looked the best, but I didn't verify with clearance below the tray. Lucky enough, the passenger side of it is not a good place for it, but it's ok because that side is blocked by the ashtray light anyway. The place where I drilled it is basically empty space. You can see it in the 2nd picture. The whole wire assembly for the switch in that big taped up bunch is fairly malleable, so I had to curve it just a tad so that the ashtray snapped into place without wanting to pop out. It's never popped out or even tried to pop out of place since I installed it this past summer.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a rocker type that came with my cutout. It fit perfectly where the cigarette lighter was. I used the trim rim too from the cig lighter.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SWEET98SS
I have a rocker type that came with my cutout. It fit perfectly where the cigarette lighter was. I used the trim rim too from the cig lighter.
Do you have a pic of the rocker switch.

When using the toggle switch on the HSW plate there is not enough room. If I wasn't using the plate it would fit fine.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cyberkill
That's exactly where I put my switch (the ash tray). I took the tray out and drilled a hole in it to fit the switch that came with my QTP Ovals. I took some pictures so I could make a writeup...but I've been lazy...hell I've been lazy to finish editing my MM & Headers writeup. Here's a sneak peak....

Here's the hole I drilled in the tray.

Here's a view of how long the switch assembly was from QTP. It's all taped up when you get it.

And here's the finished product:

The lid closes without clearance issues.

The only thing I remember is that I got lucky because I drilled a hole in the tray in a place where I thought the switch looked the best, but I didn't verify with clearance below the tray. Lucky enough, the passenger side of it is not a good place for it, but it's ok because that side is blocked by the ashtray light anyway. The place where I drilled it is basically empty space. You can see it in the 2nd picture. The whole wire assembly for the switch in that big taped up bunch is fairly malleable, so I had to curve it just a tad so that the ashtray snapped into place without wanting to pop out. It's never popped out or even tried to pop out of place since I installed it this past summer.
I have this exact same setup in mine, and it works like a charm No issues, and a quick and inconspicuous way to toggle cutouts
Old 09-25-2010, 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

by the way, the switch you want is call a DTDP switch (dual throw dual polarity). Radio Shack does a couple of choices for it, just gotta find them cuz we all know how well Radio Shack keeps the electronics drawers organized.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here the pictures of my cutout switch. I just put a tie strap around the back side to hold it tight in the hole, works great so far, been over a year.
Attached Thumbnails people w/ e-cutouts what switch r u using?-img00091-20100926-0929.jpg   people w/ e-cutouts what switch r u using?-img00092-20100926-0930.jpg  
Old 09-26-2010, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SWEET98SS
Here the pictures of my cutout switch. I just put a tie strap around the back side to hold it tight in the hole, works great so far, been over a year.
That's the type of switch I am wanting. Did you say that came with your cutout?
Old 09-26-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, came with my DHM cutout.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nemesis350
I have this exact same setup in mine, and it works like a charm No issues, and a quick and inconspicuous way to toggle cutouts
x2 that is where i have mine. Only the light on my switch doesn't work...
Old 09-27-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a DMH E-CutOut.. I changed the switch to a rocker switch

Old 09-27-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine came from DMH with the cutouts and it is a flat rectangular rocker type of switch. I cut a retangular hole in the bottom of ashtray on the drivers side of the tray and it just snapped in place. After 6 years it is still working perfect.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Where did you find a round dpdt switch like you posted a pic of? Ive looked all over and only find spdt...
Old 09-27-2010, 06:23 PM
Teching In

DPDT is not double polarity double throw. switches don't care about polarity, nor do they really see both sides of a circuit unless they are open.

DPDT, Double POLE (meaning it can switch TWO SEPARATE things) double THROW (Meaning the switch has a common middle contact and has two "on" positions)

know what youre talking about before you open your mouth

and by the way, anyone saying they cant find simple little switches? are you for real?

30 seconds searching....

http://www.mcmaster.com/#electrical-controls/=919vkr
Old 09-27-2010, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Marshessn
DPDT is not double polarity double throw. switches don't care about polarity, nor do they really see both sides of a circuit unless they are open.

DPDT, Double POLE (meaning it can switch TWO SEPARATE things) double THROW (Meaning the switch has a common middle contact and has two "on" positions)

and by the way, anyone saying they cant find simple little switches? are you for real?

30 seconds searching....

http://www.mcmaster.com/#electrical-controls/=919vkr
"Pole" and "polarity" is in reference to the same thing your degenerate retard. Just cause you're a *** with an inverted ***** doesn't mean that anyone here cares about your inferiority complexes. Go please yourself to a picture of your dead mother you *** wipe and stop trolling forums, Mr 13 posts and doesn't own a car other than the hot wheels he has shoved into his rectum.

My apologies to mistaking "dual" for "double". I stand corrected for something of very little importance, well to all except for those that apparently suffer for down syndrome. ... Which by the way, if you were so intelligent you'd know that i didn't open my mouth, but TYPED it... Perhaps you should log off your uncle's computer before he catches you looking at his gay ****.

Last edited by Nemesis350; 09-27-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wow. All this over a switch.

I talked to DMH today. I told the guy I had a QTP cutout and wanted one of their switches. The guy was super cool. I couldn't find a switch locally so I ordered one from him.

If I remember correctly he said it was a double pole double throw.

I ordered a round switch. They also sell the square. It was like ten bucks.

Last edited by LilJayV10; 09-27-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nemesis350
"Pole" and "polarity" is in reference to the same thing your degenerate retard. Just cause you're a *** with an inverted ***** doesn't mean that anyone here cares about your inferiority complexes. Go please yourself to a picture of your dead mother you *** wipe and stop trolling forums, Mr 13 posts and doesn't own a car other than the hot wheels he has shoved into his rectum.

My apologies to mistaking "dual" for "double". I stand corrected for something of very little importance, well to all except for those that apparently suffer for down syndrome. ... Which by the way, if you were so intelligent you'd know that i didn't open my mouth, but TYPED it... Perhaps you should log off your uncle's computer before he catches you looking at his gay ****.

You stand corrected on both parts. Sorry I'm not a post ***** and way to blow a gasket man. Either way, you were wrong on both counts and I had to correct you while providing a useful link about the subject.

FWIW, I love using switches with the built in lamps that are separate from the switch itself. I'm sure someone could get creative with the idea, but for my cooling set up I have a switch that allows me to switch back and forth from "ECU" to "override" controls for my radiator cooling fan. The switch has a built in lamp that I tied directly to the fan's power, so that I can see when the fan is "ON" (or at least has power, hah won't show me mechanical failures)

I will touch on one thing that this bozo said. I don't have my car listed because nobody can appreciate the idea of a ls1 in a mazda rx7 =]
I like to share my wealth of knowledge instead of making childish comments about people I don't know and will never meet.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Marshessn

Yeah, i suppose i did go about your ******* remarks the wrong way huh...

FWI no one here cares about any of your fetishes with switches or what you use them for. If you have nothing truly constructive to share that actually makes a difference, then keep it to yourself cause we could care less.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm using the stock DHM round style switch mounted in an emblems pro cubby hole plate, along with my line lock and garage door open switches:

Old 09-28-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA

Where did u get that!

Quick Reply: people w/ e-cutouts what switch r u using?