Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Installed LS6 Intake and P+P TB

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frosting my car brought everything together for me.

Then I found out I had a huge crimp on the outlet of my holley Y pipe. so, I had the 2 3/4" portion hacked off and welded in a v band clamp and went 3" all the way back.

Then I found my EGR pipe bolt floating around on my intake, haha...

...it never stops.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Nah, probably won't feel anything from the UD and FTRA either. Nice to know there is normal guys out there like me. Some people say they would "feel" their car pulling way harder after they installed their lid or put a ported throttle body on, sure... You can barely even tell with a 25hp gain let alone a 5hp gain.
I concur lol.

It cracks me up when someone says, I ported the TB and it runs so much better!! I probably picked up like 20HP!!!!

Honestly when my car was full bolt ons it did not really feel any faster then it did before. I really never really notice a difference till I gave her the ol happy gas, and a health cam.
But by far the best mod to be done to my car was installing the LS3.

TO the OP:
The LS6 intake and ported TB, which will eventually lead to full bolt ons in your case I assure you is a good base to start on when you decied it is finally time to tear into the motor and start making some real numbers, but hey we all have to start somewhere my friend, this is just the tip of the ice berg.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

I went from 12.3s at 110 MPH at Cecil tuned to 12.1 at 112 MPH swapping to that intake and some cool air with all the bolt ons and the ported TB. Expect about a tenth or two.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

That sticking is your TB blade sticking to the wall, when it was polished or when you took it of fit may have bumped the set screw. If this is the case all you need to do is turn it a 1/4 of a turn in or so. The set screw is located right next to the big spring on the side that the throttle cable goes into. When you move the throttle cam back and forth you'll notice that there is a small tab that sticks out and catches so you can only move it so far (butterfly all the way closed or open). When the butterfly is closed all the way, as it is when you're just holding the tb at rest, the tab on the cam rests against a screw on the bottom, that is your set screw. It takes a small allen I believe, just turn it in a little at a time until it doesn't stick when it's closed. If you turn it too much your idle will increase because more air is going in so you want it right at the point that it doesn't stick but not so much that more air is getting in. You'll want your idle 1k or below.

Easy fix, mine did it too.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Z/YA
I concur lol.

It cracks me up when someone says, I ported the TB and it runs so much better!! I probably picked up like 20HP!!!!

Honestly when my car was full bolt ons it did not really feel any faster then it did before. I really never really notice a difference till I gave her the ol happy gas, and a health cam.
But by far the best mod to be done to my car was installing the LS3.
Everybody's perception is different. It also depends on if it is only peak power (UD pulley), or across the entire powerband (heads/intake). The general rule of thumb, at least for a car in the 300hp neighborhood, is that 10rwhp equals .10 sec in the quarter, and 1 mph. Most people say they feel a SOTP difference w/ a 10 hp gain.

A full bolt on ls1 vs a stock ls1 is good for at least 5mph in the quarter - if you don't feel that something is wrong with your car or your butt.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I picked up and ASP U/D pulley today from my best friend so I'll be installing that next Monday when my new bolt comes in. After this and a FTRA I'll be done with bolt-ons.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99TransAmLS16Spd
A full bolt on ls1 vs a stock ls1 is good for at least 5mph in the quarter - if you don't feel that something is wrong with your car or your butt.
x2

You should notice gaining 5 mph in trap speed. Not to mention some upgrades like a big stall or 3.73/4.10 gears make a noticeable difference even without adding HP
Old 10-07-2010, 06:58 AM
TECH Regular

I definately noticed tons more low end after frosting my car and fixing the rest of the catback. even the wife commented.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Tobias- I know you from rwhp.us (DTHPROOF). Did you have frost do a mail-order tune or did you meet him in VA? He's good friends with my buddy Bill and he's always telling me to just let Frost do a mail-order for me. Bill has HP Tuners and can load the tune for me. I think that's my route while I'm just bolt-ons.