Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Long Tuber Headers in terms of installation ease, and fitment for 98 Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been looking at buying headers sometime in the future and i was leaning towards Kooks, but after researching here, a lot of people seem to love the ARH. Is there any big difference between the two besides the name?
Old 10-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BennyB
Ive heard nothing but good things about the ARH's from people that have actually installed them. I have hookers and didnt have any problems installing them. The hookers tuck really nice, but i do have problems with stock motor mounts and the one side hitting the floor board when the converter locks and im getting on it a little bit. I also have a buddy with pacesetters... quality headers for the price. Just my two cents
For the price I would hope to hear only positive feedback on the ARH.

I was looking at Hooker LT's. Would you buy them again/recommend them?
Old 10-11-2010, 08:49 PM
Teching In

ive installed both the air/egr, and race headers by pacesetter on my 02 and they went in with no problems, just got to get the car really high up on jack stands, each install is different and the people working on it are different. i didnt have to saw the tab off the block either, the first set went in fine with a slight bit of persuasion via hand sledge and a 2x6 and the second set went in with a tap of the hand... to each his own
Old 10-11-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will be upgrading my pacesetters to arh's because mine have surface rust from being in Illinois. I want ss so i only have to replace them once and for all.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
For the price I would hope to hear only positive feedback on the ARH.

I was looking at Hooker LT's. Would you buy them again/recommend them?
yeah i would recommend them and i would buy them again, but only in stainless, because im picky like that. Ive had the headers on this car for about 4 years now and i really dont have any complaints other than the recent banging from one of the collectors when i get on it a little bit with the converter locked. I dont know why it started doing that... possibly because of the stock motor mounts being shot. They tuck very nicely with no fitment issues.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can recommend not buying ebay brand headers, I am going to be getting ARH's when I can do so, cyl. 2 primary seems to rub the spark plug boot and vibrates it loose. They goi in the same as Pacesetters and I had no issues getting mine in, they went in like butter. I have not had an issue with pacesetters but I figure if I am going to spend the money on getting headers I am going the route I wanted to go at first.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Long Tuber headers? You gonna make a LS-powered
spud gun?
Old 10-12-2010, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

I installed Pacesetter longtubes on my 99 and they went right in, no problems.

Expect about 6 hours if it is your first time, with about 4 of the hours getting the old exhaust off.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've installed kooks, pacesetters, flowtechs, ARH, and SLP's. The pacesetters I had to cut the tab on the drivers side. No biggie.

By far THE WORST is SLP tuned length. Oh my god what a nightmare. Raised motor, notched k-member, removed half the **** under there, and STILL ended up having to dent the tubes to get them in. Garbage design, period.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

We installed ebay headers , mac mids , arh , pacesetters , kooks ,qtp's these are all we have experience with, and the hardest was pacesetters belive it or not, all the rest was easy and none rubbed an Hats off to QTP's , Kooks , ARH too those are some headers that someone took their time to make 100% on quality an Mac's was the easiest to install..
Old 10-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Banned

I have installed more Kook's headers than any other. However I have heard good things about the ARH as well. If you are comparing all headers, I don't see how a set of $200 headers can be anywhere near the quality of a $900 set
Old 10-22-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have LPP headers and the easiest part of the install was installing the headers. They slid right in from the bottom slicker then ****... I remember thinking what all the fuss was about... i actually thought i did something wrong it went so easy lol... Removing the old exhaust was the pain in the ***... LPP's seem to be a good option stainless for the price of non stainless. Didnt have to modify anything at all.

And for what its worth i just did a plug swap with these headers and all was pretty easy... even got the #8 plug out from the top with only a swivel socket and no drama.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Derek@KY-Turbo
I have installed more Kook's headers them any other. However I have heard good things about the ARH as well. If you are comparing all headers, I don't see how a set of $200 headers can be anywhere near the quality of a $900 set
The ebay headers or in no way better than The ARH ok now when we installed a pair of them we didn't have a problem they went right in no modifying or nothing ,how ever to me the difference to me is the ebays turned a different color the ARH are sweet and they are catted sounds so smooth to I love them by far , they are worth every bit of 800.00 to me but if your low on a budget the ebays are not bad at all for 200.00 ...
Old 10-23-2010, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
I have LPP headers and the easiest part of the install was installing the headers. They slid right in from the bottom slicker then ****... I remember thinking what all the fuss was about... i actually thought i did something wrong it went so easy lol... Removing the old exhaust was the pain in the ***... LPP's seem to be a good option stainless for the price of non stainless. Didnt have to modify anything at all.

And for what its worth i just did a plug swap with these headers and all was pretty easy... even got the #8 plug out from the top with only a swivel socket and no drama.
http://lpparts.com/store/page5.html

Those do seem nice for the price. Anyone else have experience with them? And quick question about stainless steel: What's the difference? Which grade is better? LPP advertises 321 stainless. Kooks for example advertises 304.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Long Tuber headers? You gonna make a LS-powered
spud gun?
was thinking the same thing...

OP - "best headers" is like asking for an opinion on "best heads". Too many variables to consider for each. As far as fit, each car and each manufacturer will have varying tolerances that stack up where one brand will fit one way on one car and fit different on another. If you're looking for consistancy, I would personally opt for the higher end manufacturer (Kooks, ARH, etc). You'll get a better fit more often and technologies that the mid-range and low-end priced headers don't offer.

What are your expectations? Standards? Budget?
Old 10-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Teching In

I always want the best and chose QTPs with merge collectors. Fit perfect, stainless, look great, will last forever, and bark at middle rpm shifts. Oh and when the last cop stood by my car I left it to idle while he gave me a ticket for tinted windows. Seriously anything under 1800 rpm no one can tell what I've done. Very few get my praise, and i will only buy QTP in the future!
Old 10-23-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by joblo1978
And since when does someone need to remove a steering knuckle to install headers?
I did. So did some others. Sometimes, it's just whatever works.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...e-headers.html
Old 10-23-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

LPP was the ebay headers we installed I love them I have a pair on the floor right now an they will make the same power as Kooks ,exc so you can take the othe 500.00 you saved and buy a cam or a good exhaust system,,see now how I'm doing things I'm not spending a whole lot of money those ebay headers we installed on this car last year is still pulling strong and they are not rusty so that's everything I wanted right there.

Then for like $300.00 dollars.
I spend big money when it come to parts like stall tranny exc , now if you can save do it, now if you plan on make the car into a collectors Item , Kooks allday long nothing but the best in that situation.

Forgot one we did BBK they are sweet too .
Old 10-23-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

anyone have much experience with tsp headers? how well they fit, install and perform? im thinkin of just gettin tsp true duals and headers from them in the future..
Old 10-23-2010, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

ARH here and the fitment and quality is excellent!