Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks released new exhaust for f-body

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice. Very nice. Thanks for posting up Ponyeater.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LPE 403
Why are you still selling an "apples to oranges" comparison? Most people that buy this system are looking for an engineered, quality part from a reputable source. You keep using price and sound in your angle to "educate" the masses. Though sound is a critical element is exhaust choices, step back quit preaching "look what I did" and look at the bigger picture.....

1. Sound is subjective. What sounds like *** to some, is music to others (i.e. LM vs Corsa, ORY vs Cats, etc)

2. Under the axle is a half *** solution to save a few bucks.
why you ask? cause someone could spend $1000 or more somewhere else on their car, just cause it's made by kooks doesn't make it touched by God. i know sound is subjective, i start out dumped with LM1 bullets and to others it sounded like *** but to me it sounded awesome . . . for all of 2 weeks. then when i extended the pipes out the back still with LM1 it sounded great . . . too me but the Alameda County Sheriff didn't think so, so the LM1's came off and the sweet thunder's went on. i'm just giving examples . . . and you can clutter up your rear-end area all you want by sticking exhaust tubes over the axle, but under the axle is more free flowing because it has less bends MORE AIR IN MORE AIR OUT curious, what is your exhaust set-up and how long have you been running it?
Old 11-30-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Veteran

ponyeater-it's a nice lookin exhaust don't get it wrong, but to me it doesn't sound any different than other LSx car's with big cams and a muffler sound. i agree with n2oblkz that your driver side tip needs adjustment . . . but IMO those tips are way too big for a fbody, they almost look like they belong on an import. but this is all my opinion, as long as your happy with it is what really matters
Old 11-30-2010, 01:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds great! In the video sounded like something was rattling under the car?
Old 11-30-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I get we're all on a some kind of a budget, but in the same breath you mention 2 previous iterations before completing your last masterpiece. So did 3 versions = $350 or was it more like $350 each time? Either way, it doesn't matter....just thinking out loud. Sounds like a waste of time and money to me

Originally Posted by King Nothing
and you can clutter up your rear-end area all you want by sticking exhaust tubes over the axle
If you mean "clutter" as in a "designed system package", because common sense tells us (or should) that sacrificing clearance under and compromising jacking the car makes zero sense.

Segway into your next statement below....

but under the axle is more free flowing because it has less bends MORE AIR IN MORE AIR OUT
....so many holes in this I don't even know where to start and technically requires an entirely new thread.

Not that you can and please don't try claim "common sense", but quantify this with proof and if you can, we'll let the masses concur that the .001hp gained and sacrifices required is justification for a "short cut".
Old 11-30-2010, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

king this really is outside of your usual posts. sounds like your emotionally involved in this under the axle deal and its skewing your thinking. haha. you have to admit over the axle is the right way to do it...before this it was OK to go under as there was no better solution, though i would've never considered it. This is not too much more than a corsa or GMMG and there is a lot more material, challenge, and benefit here.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Launching!

PonyEater....I thought that would look like crap on your rear bumper and would only look good on TA bumpers...it does extremely stand out on the back of your car...but in a good way....i actually like it. I can respect anyone who spends the cash for that setup! I'm a cheapo so really I'm just jealous!
Old 11-30-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LPE 403
I get we're all on a some kind of a budget, but in the same breath you mention 2 previous iterations before completing your last masterpiece. So did 3 versions = $350 or was it more like $350 each time? Either way, it doesn't matter....just thinking out loud. Sounds like a waste of time and money to me

If you mean "clutter" as in a "designed system package", because common sense tells us (or should) that sacrificing clearance under and compromising jacking the car makes zero sense.

Segway into your next statement below....

....so many holes in this I don't even know where to start and technically requires an entirely new thread.

Not that you can and please don't try claim "common sense", but quantify this with proof and if you can, we'll let the masses concur that the .001hp gained and sacrifices required is justification for a "short cut".
awww no answer to my question in this response but i will answer some of your babbling: no i did not spend $350 each time. if i would've known that gettin pulled over for my exhaust was going to happen i would've gone with sweet thunder from the beginning. thats really all you get until you answer my previous question
Originally Posted by disc0monkey
king this really is outside of your usual posts. sounds like your emotionally involved in this under the axle deal and its skewing your thinking. haha. you have to admit over the axle is the right way to do it...before this it was OK to go under as there was no better solution, though i would've never considered it. This is not too much more than a corsa or GMMG and there is a lot more material, challenge, and benefit here.
i'm actually sick right now so nothin i'm doin is normal lol i just made a drink that had orange juice, 7up and A&W so i'm not too smart right now hahaha

a shop out here, Synergy Motorsports in fremont was custom fabbing true dual set-ups just like this at least 5 years before kooks decided to do this and ironically for ABOUT the same price, less than $1600 i believe. if i ever went back to true duals i'd still do under the axle, too much of a hassle going over the axle with both pipes. now if they could do it where each pipe goes over each side i'd be interested to see a write up but then again there lies a problem with sensors being placed there for the fuel tank.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the writeup for duals over the axle on each side and what to move with pics.
And ponyeater, your setup looks great!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...re-posted.html

Last edited by Viper; 11-30-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Awesome! What's hitting under the car? That lumpy cam is prolly throwing the exhaust around pretty good though.

Oh yeah.. I'm about ready to sell my soul for this exhaust. I hate mine with a passion anyway....

Sweet! I can get it with Cats! I'm lookin to shut mine up a bit. I like the ORY smell, but the rasp and drone is too much.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 11-30-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NumberOneSled
Sounds great! In the video sounded like something was rattling under the car?
yea driver side it hitting the underside of the car i guess thats what huge cams do at idle. gonna rig some radiator hose up down there to keep the vibration down to a minimum
Old 11-30-2010, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

yes they are big but the BIG Goodyear F1 tires totally throw it off, and as far as my car being remotely even having the word import even used in the same sentence is just plain wrong I eat imports for breakfast and **** out a hand full of Ford mustang matchbox cars

ponyeater-it's a nice lookin exhaust don't get it wrong, but to me it doesn't sound any different than other LSx car's with big cams and a muffler sound. i agree with n2oblkz that your driver side tip needs adjustment . . . but IMO those tips are way too big for a fbody, they almost look like they belong on an import. but this is all my opinion, as long as your happy with it is what really matters
Old 11-30-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Veteran

And the driver's side tip looked crooked in the TA pics too. Wondering if Kooks knows? Not sure if you can push that side up anymore or not to straighten it out.

And King, we should know by now that almost all exhausts sound the same on this side of the computer. I'm guessing that with dual 3" pipes it is sounding pretty damn throaty in person!
Old 11-30-2010, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

yes the slight crookedness is noted gonna look into it tomorrow but i think it should be a fix with loosening a clamp and adjusting and yes it sounds like a beast in person videos do no justice

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
And the driver's side tip looked crooked in the TA pics too. Wondering if Kooks knows? Not sure if you can push that side up anymore or not to straighten it out.

And King, we should know by now that almost all exhausts sound the same on this side of the computer. I'm guessing that with dual 3" pipes it is sounding pretty damn throaty in person!
Old 11-30-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Veteran

^ As always.. Everything sounds the same on the net. No mufflers sounds like a LM1, GMMG sounds like a Corsa.. Borla sounds like a LM1.. Mine doesn't even sound right..

My exhaust on mine now is just beyond fuked up and I'm just LOOKING for an excuse to put that darn car up on stands RIGHT NOW and just rip the entire exhaust down.. Shitty SLP LT's, Rigged ORY, Y is crushed a bit, and the TSP Rumbler CB is just getting old. Getting tired of the drone and just the whole outdated exhaust. Just lemme at it!! My Sawzall is all warmed up and ready to go..
Old 11-30-2010, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-30-2010, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-30-2010, 07:45 PM
11 Second Club

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-30-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Veteran

^

That is just sexy.. But you're in 4x4 mode, so you're golden for clearance. I've got about 2.5" of GC right now with mine. But I LOVE how that driver's side pip is flattened a little!!
Old 11-30-2010, 07:49 PM
11 Second Club

ive heard everything and this Kooks system is off the chain in person and it sounds good inside the car too and thats hard to say about an exhaust system LM is way to loud but yes sounds good but headache after driving borla is the same way this Kooks is just all around KICK ***! and I can speak from 2 days experience and Ive had every exhaust except GMMG

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
^ As always.. Everything sounds the same on the net. No mufflers sounds like a LM1, GMMG sounds like a Corsa.. Borla sounds like a LM1.. Mine doesn't even sound right..

My exhaust on mine now is just beyond fuked up and I'm just LOOKING for an excuse to put that darn car up on stands RIGHT NOW and just rip the entire exhaust down.. Shitty SLP LT's, Rigged ORY, Y is crushed a bit, and the TSP Rumbler CB is just getting old. Getting tired of the drone and just the whole outdated exhaust. Just lemme at it!! My Sawzall is all warmed up and ready to go..

Quick Reply: Kooks released new exhaust for f-body