Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks released new exhaust for f-body

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
This exhaust setup looks great. It's damn close to the setup I've always wanted. What's the deal with the BMR DSL? How low does it hang? I'm hearing it scrapes. Is there an alternative to the BMR that gives better ground clearance, or is ground clearance with the BMR driveshaft safety loop not an issue on stock ride height cars? If I could use a UMI or Spohn piece that provides better ground clearance, then why not go with those?
MWC drive shaft safety loop FTW!
Old 07-21-2011, 09:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
MWC drive shaft safety loop FTW!
Is that for the short torque arm or the long one? My MWC long arm TA fitment was not very good.... will have pics up once I can get it up on a lift.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 97ss497
Is that for the short torque arm or the long one? My MWC long arm TA fitment was not very good.... will have pics up once I can get it up on a lift.
long arm
Old 07-22-2011, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
This exhaust setup looks great. It's damn close to the setup I've always wanted. What's the deal with the BMR DSL? How low does it hang? I'm hearing it scrapes. Is there an alternative to the BMR that gives better ground clearance, or is ground clearance with the BMR driveshaft safety loop not an issue on stock ride height cars? If I could use a UMI or Spohn piece that provides better ground clearance, then why not go with those?
Thanks for the compliment it took a lot of hit and miss with other exhaust in my past with fbodys. I used the UMI not sure if people have problems with scraping with the BMR but you can't use the BMR on a convertible Spohn and UMI have one that they say is for longtube headers, again I used the UMI and it wasnt the one that had the drive shaft loop attached but I am sure you can use the one wth the DSL attached. I mentioned scraping before because someone else said their dual exhaust system was mounted below the crossmember and that was why I asked him about his exhaust scraping but maybe others had complained of the BMR scraping I don't know????
Old 07-23-2011, 11:51 AM
11 Second Club

I have had the BMR for 6 years and have never scraped anything. I am stock height, but even if you are lowered I cant see how you would scrape it. If you do you messed up a lot of other stuff along the way.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rpmauto
I have had the BMR for 6 years and have never scraped anything. I am stock height, but even if you are lowered I cant see how you would scrape it. If you do you messed up a lot of other stuff along the way.
Good deal, btw what true dual exhaust are you running at this time? Just curious.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

The UPS man will be dropping my kooks duals off Wednesday! I'm pretty anxious, hope it fits!
Old 07-26-2011, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
Do you need to use the brace with the drop? I already have a relocation crossmember with my duals, but the duals pass under instead of over the crossmember.
Actually when I was asking about the scraping and the dual exhaust the person had at the present I was curious about the person that made this quote because he was saying he had duals that passed under the crossmember sorry for the misinterpretation of what I was wondering thanks.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
The UPS man will be dropping my kooks duals off Wednesday! I'm pretty anxious, hope it fits!
I know you have to be anxious you have waited a while for the exhaust...
Old 07-26-2011, 08:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by cbruer
Good deal, btw what true dual exhaust are you running at this time? Just curious.
I currently have American racing headers,their y pipe, and borla cat back with an e-cutout in place of the plates. Its not that bad, it just sounds too ricerish. I wanted to keep my headers, but when you weigh the option of selling them and buying the kooks ones it is cheaper to get the whole kooks system.

My duals will be here thursday as well. Hopefully the month wait will be worth it.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

Last two pics I was asked about, one is of the rear of the car and the other is the pic of the exhaust going over the axle in the rear while the car is on the ground.

Kooks released new exhaust for f-body-newrear1.jpg

Kooks released new exhaust for f-body-overaxle1.jpg
Old 07-29-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

^That tip looks crooked to me too..
Old 07-29-2011, 01:44 PM
11 Second Club

Got mine put on last nite. As far as the headers go there are things I like about them more than the arh one, and things I dont, like it hitting my k meber on pass side, and having to pull the starter off to get to the back plug (big hands) But at least I can get the starter out, with the arh headers that wasnt happening.

As far as the cat back. It fits good. I still have to do a little messing around to get things perfect and have no rattles. (i have ocd) It is def loud, I figured it would be, but not as loud as it is. Almost sounds like the borla with the cutout open. It gave it a deep tone, zero rasp, and that built big block chest pounding feeling when standing behind it. I only got to drive it a mile or so, at 65-70 in 6th it is a bit loud, 55 is good. Loud as hell when you step on it.

All in all I am happy with it so far. (be happier when my ARH stuff gets sold) It will take some getting used to, I got the deeper tone without the rasp, I just wish it was a bit tamer at idle and cruise.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mac62989
^That tip looks crooked to me too..
Its not crooked it may just seem that way because of the size and location of the two openings togethor because we had to put wood in between the body kit and the exhaust same piece of wood then weld the metal to the hanger so the exhaust would not melt the kit on the back bumber because with the rubbers on the mounting brackets that come off the bumper it pushed the exhaust tipe up against the body kit of the car so we had to create a gap and the same piece of wood was used on both sides.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Ya maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me cause Ive seen alot of crooked driver side tips.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:36 AM
9 Second Club

The way the kit is made if the tip is crroked then it would have to be welded on crooked from the factory. The drivers side tip is welded to the muffler and it has pipe coming off the back of it that has a 90* bend in it. To get one tip crooked the whole system would have to be crooked and I spent quite a bit of time making sure they were even, I hate seeing cars with crooked tips LOL

For those looking to get this exhaust I will say this.... For a true duel 3" system I don't see how you are gonna get much better. The kit went together really good but of course was tight in a few spots. It has a nice deep tone to it, it may be a little loud for some peoples taste though. The lowest spot on the kit I put on Cbruer's car is the crossmember, his car sits a little lower than a stock F body and I still think it will be fine as long as he dont take it four wheeling.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm definitely going to order a full Kooks exhaust for next season! Glad to hear it's working with the UMI cross member. Anyone thought of different tips? I am guessing this is the only way Kooks offers them, and I'm okay with the quad tips but would prefer ovals like GMMG with a rolled lip. Anyone else?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts

Bump, does Kooks offer other tips yet, or does anyone else who has a Camaro want to see them with oval tips similar to GMMG but maybe with a nice rolled lip?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Those are the only tips offered in the system as far as I know of for now but people have changed the tips and went to single outs and sold the quads but changing that would be a simple cut off those and have the tips you want to put on there welded onto the end of the exhaust. Just a minor change similar to the change I made with taking off the cats and putting y's for the cutouts and electric cutouts with dumps.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm running full BMR suspension from the engine to rear with this kooks setup without any problems

Quick Reply: Kooks released new exhaust for f-body