Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks released new exhaust for f-body

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I commend Kooks for wanting to make new products for our cars. Most companies are so focused on the new SS and vette products that our 4th gens are put on the back burner. Yes the price is a bit steep but you got to figure their cost to make jigs to mass produce it and the time and effort taken to make it work, and of course they want to turn a nice profit. Could I ever afford it, no. Would I personally want to spend that much for a set of pipes, no. But my car is not a show car. Someone who put the effort into looks would love this and for good reason. I like creating something that performs well and doesn't cost a lot. It's all about different strokes for different folks. Some like loud (me), others like dead silent systems. I give props to them for putting forth the effort even if the vast majority can't or doesn't see the need for it.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The price isn't as bad as I was thinking. I was fully expecting a price tag upwards of $2,000. Yes this system may be a tad more pricey than a custom setup but at least you know what you're getting. You could pay to have some exhaust shop fabricate true duals but you could end up paying for a pile of crap. In other words the Kooks duals offer peace of mind which is worth a lot to some people, especially since it means some greasy exhaust guy won't be poking around under their car.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

If this fits with a fays 2 watts link I could get this instead of LPPs duals
Old 10-15-2010, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Judging by the photos of the fays on stranoparts.com, it looks like it will clear.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
I truly appreciate Kooks going to the time and expense to design this system, especially for a car that production stopped almost 10 years ago. It shows that our cars are still popular and I really like the system.

This would be perfect for the guy that hasn't bought headers yet, but wanted Kooks anyways and also needed a quality catback system. The price is high, but you get what you pay for. The only drawback to me might be the clearance issue. ***I second the request for a ground clearance shot to see how bad this might be around speed bumps and steeply angled driveways. If it looks good, then I might purchase.***

Also, in regards to price, I've convinced the wife that buying cool parts for my old car is still better than spending $40K on a Challenger/Mustang 5.0/Used C6. The price is still less than I'd be putting down for a downpayment, so I'm justified!! Now, if I can only convince her to buy it for me for Christmas!!!
Ya know what? Bad30th (I think his username is or was) got this (or a very similar) system installed on his TA at Kooks and there was all kinds of hype over it. There was lots of interest, and they (Kooks) refused to make it into a kit.

Now that I think about it, the 2k price tag isn't that bad for the whole system including headers. Maybe you get extensions and MLS gaskets too?

Back in the day I payed around 1200 for my Kooks headers and catted y shipped. I probably spend around 400 on my Magnaflow catback. Another 100 on dual dual tips and having them welded and installed. I later spent probably close to 200 on having my y modified with a flowmaster merge and 90 degree bends and tossing in an e-cutout.

Looking at it like that, I'm sure that I have close to 2k in my setup, so this price really isn't that far off. The DSL and upper panhard bar is kind of a pain in the *** to go with though and that just adds more to the cost.

Will this work with a UMI torque arm and relocation kit or other aftermarket torque arms? What about larger rearends with 3" axle tubes? How much does it weigh over a single muffler and y setup? Is just the X-pipe back available and how much for that? What about HP gains too?

Personally I think my exhuast sounds better though, but maybe 7 yrs. ago I would have really considered this.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

That is a nice looking system but damn, is it pricey. Maybe ill go with Bassani's dual system and just customize it to fit my longtubes and run whatever mufflers i want. I would probably end up with the same price when im done as the catted kooks setup in here.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Badguy7
That is a nice looking system but damn, is it pricey. Maybe ill go with Bassani's dual system and just customize it to fit my longtubes and run whatever mufflers i want. I would probably end up with the same price when im done as the catted kooks setup in here.
I'm getting mine from Kooks, being they are rite down the road from me, but check with maryland speed a tech sponser, you may be surprised at what you can get this system for!
Old 10-16-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joblo1978
Now that I think about it, the 2k price tag isn't that bad for the whole system including headers. Maybe you get extensions and MLS gaskets too?
I think $1900 just gets you the catted setup, not their headers, although some of the sponsors have pretty damned good pricing on Kooks stuff.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

wow now thats sweeeeet. But way to much$
Old 10-16-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

Nice exhaust - surprised at all the haters on here
Old 10-16-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Element
I think $1900 just gets you the catted setup, not their headers, although some of the sponsors have pretty damned good pricing on Kooks stuff.
WS6store its a little over $1600 with cats and yes that is without headers.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

May have to get this for another future build.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 208 Likes on 160 Posts

This is a beautiful exhaust system, if I were to do mine over again, this would be the ticket.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

5+ years too late. It's a beautiful system, but these cars aren't priced like they used to be. Asking $1500+ for an exhaust system that still requires several hundred dollars in additional aftermarket parts to fit is going to turn away alot of buyers in todays market.

FWIW - I have an identically designed system that was custom built by a sponsor for less.

It's too late. The price is too high for the market. And it will have fitment problems - I don't see enough points of adjustment on that setup.

Does this system require Kooks headers?
Old 10-17-2010, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Great looking exhaust. If it was more affordable they would sell a lot more of them.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
5+ years too late. It's a beautiful system, but these cars aren't priced like they used to be. Asking $1500+ for an exhaust system that still requires several hundred dollars in additional aftermarket parts to fit is going to turn away alot of buyers in todays market.

FWIW - I have an identically designed system that was custom built by a sponsor for less.

It's too late. The price is too high for the market. And it will have fitment problems - I don't see enough points of adjustment on that setup.

Does this system require Kooks headers?
Lots of people are still buying and modding f-bodies, and lots of people are still paying $800+ for stainless headers; I don't see $1600 being out of the question for them. It's expensive, but it's a jig-welded, out-the-back stainless duals setup from a well-known exhaust company - I wouldn't expect it to be cheap.

Will most people buy this setup? No, but then again, most people would buy Pacesetters or Hookers, rather than Kooks or ARH headers.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mac62989
WS6store its a little over $1600 with cats and yes that is without headers.
Oh, well then I take back what I posted awhile ago. Without headers? Now that is a little crazy.

So with headers your looking at a little over 2300 plus the BMR DSL and upper panhard bar relocator?
Old 10-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by joblo1978
Oh, well then I take back what I posted awhile ago. Without headers? Now that is a little crazy.

So with headers your looking at a little over 2300 plus the BMR DSL and upper panhard bar relocator?
wow, I couldve bought a complete lq9 for less than that..
Old 10-17-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Considering this is a true dual system that goes from the headers all the way back, it's a better deal than freakin $800 catbacks that are just a couple of pipes with a muffler.

For example, $750 for this:

Or 900 with oval tips

Or $1525 (catless from ws6 store) for this:

Kooks is the better deal here. **** y-pipes.
Attached Thumbnails Kooks released new exhaust for f-body-lolturd.jpg  

Last edited by X-ray; 10-17-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

lol...couldn't have said it better myself. This thread should have just started out with this big pic and nothing else. That could be Kooks new motto.

Originally Posted by X-ray
**** y-pipes.

Quick Reply: Kooks released new exhaust for f-body