Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold, Spinning noise above 3k rpm..

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold, Spinning noise above 3k rpm..

Its like the topic states. I have this spinning noise above 3k rpms.... This has recently started to happen at night and in the mornings when its the coldest or, just cooler then mid day.. I have a problem tracking this down due to the fact that it comes and goes as pleases.. but its comming from under neath and i can feel it in my shifter when this happens... When its warm out or midday with a cold start i can jump in take it on up passed 3 4 5k no prob no noise.. but when cold????? I love when noises come and go as they please.

If feels the preasuer plate is just spinning but i doubt it I just got a ls7cluthflywheel combo put in with new slave and tick performance masters put in by tick performance themselves... I havent a clue.. any ideas??? im lost..
Old 10-20-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as long as u said when too cold its an engine shake i THINK u might wanna check your engine mounts and see what happens from there. good luck.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Launching!

When you're cold starting the oil is not going to move as freely. It could be your oil pump making the noise. Personally I don't take the car much above 2500 until it's pretty warm (at least 25% of the way up the temp gauge or so) so as to make sure everything is flowing right.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems like your car is making the same kinda noise that mine does. It worried me for a little bit. But, it always goes away once it warms up, so I just figure it has something to do with the cold weather, and not to worry about it.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

I think I found my problem... the noise felt like the flywheel was slipping but.. I did the sure fire way test to know if thats the problem or not.. dumped it at 5k lol.. anyways.

let the car warm up this morning.. popped the hood pushed the throttle cable and was looking and listening.. heard a squeek noise.. so pressed some more while looking at my serpentine.. and what ya know the ac compressor bearing isnt spinning havnet looked at the belt yet but ill get under their and get if off here in a min.. I hope its just the belt and not the compressor but its about to be winter anyways sooooo
Old 10-24-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Stupid answer, but if the AC or defrost isn't on, it won't spin.

The pulley wasn't spinning or the AC wasn't spinning?
Old 10-24-2010, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

The belt is connected to the compressor.. ??? the face of the compressor was spinning and when I push on the gas the face stops spinning and you hear a squeak sound like the belt is catching and then the face starts spinning again if your looking at it.. ac isn't on..
Old 10-24-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Odd. It may be low on refrigerant which also contains the oil for the system. It may be kicking off due to a low charge or the bearings might be going. Does your AC work?
Old 10-24-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Or else the clutch is catching. …???