Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

deleting muffler question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default deleting muffler question

If I were to delete the muffler would I lose hp dew to loss of backpressure or would I gain hp dew to better flow? I plan on istalling in the very near future headers and ory. But right now I wanna know if it will lose or gain while stock. I know it will not sound good to some people but that's not the question.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

i did it. you wont lose hp but it will sound loud not crazy loud but annoying. honestly it felt nth may b a better response but thats comparing to the crappy muffler i had. try it and see if you like it. drone will kill u lol
Old 10-27-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

take it off. I DD my Z28 and I have longtubes to a 3" y pipe and thats it....Do it
Old 10-27-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Backpressure does not help make power, so no, removing the stock muffler won't hurt your power numbers.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not had one on my car in years. Long tubes, ORY. Its not a DD car. Just for a goof I dynoed through my Flowmaster and then Open. Open I ran 32RWHP more than through the Flowmaster. You might pick up some power depending on your muffler, but its gonna be loud. I never realized how loud it was until I rent for a ride on my R1 and had my wife follow me in the Camaro, I had her do a WOT Fly By past me, I was doing like 60. My ears were ringing for about 10min. And thats with a helmet on.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:16 AM
TECH Addict

omg 32 rwhp with open ory? thats alot! i must have -20 rwhp by now on the muffler i have
Old 10-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

yea but u have a cam and heads for thats different from someone running stock internals
Old 10-30-2010, 03:41 AM
12 Second Club

well, if you want to delete the muffler go for it, it all depends on your opinion. i doubt you'll pick up any more than 10 rwhp over a good cat-back. i ran one with LTs and ORY for about 6 months and hated it. yeah, it sounds cool at WOT from inside the cab, but standing a block away and hearing the car row through a few gears, it's downright obnoxious. also i drove from coast to coast and every time i pulled over for gas my ears felt numb. and forget about any and all conversation even under mild accelleration. a decent cat-back setup will eliminate the "clackety-clack" sound like your grandpa's old farm truck, and it will change the tone altogether. and it will also enable you to actually hear your radio on lower volumes. i would suggest going with a cutout if you really have to squeeze all the power you can out of your car. this is just my $.02 having run a straight piped car before. and by the way, a cat back like a rumbler or loudmouth won't be very restrictive since it's just a bullet on the I-pipe. but you won't be able to use a single cutout with one. most people say the bullet cat-backs are too loud on H/C cars, other people like it. once again, depends on your opinion. but i like the way they sound on bolt-on cars. TSP rumbler is cheap too!