Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Overheating

Im having a issue with my car overheating just started happening i havent noticed any leaking fuild in the bay area. My coolent level light is on two and i have filled both the radiator and the reserve tank up and i also changed out the thermostat to a low temp one thinking that the stock one might be stuck closed. Any other ideas or suggestions?
Thanks
Old 11-04-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you probably have a lot of air to bleed out.how much coolant did you add when changing the stat?
Old 11-04-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

x1 on air in the system
Old 11-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Launching!

did you change the t-stat because it was running hot and wanted to see if that would help(see below)? or you changed it and now it's running hot(if so, bleed air from system)?

running hot: if you have coolent missing it can only go so many places..

external leak - check all hoses, heater core, rad, water pump exc..
into the oil pan - check oil
into the cylnders and out the tail pipe - either pressure test the cooling system or check compression either should lead you in the right direction

for me.. i have blown head gaskets, but never ran hot? i noticed somthing was wrong when the motor had a bad vibration to it. hope this helps
Old 11-04-2010, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

I changed out the stat because i thought maybe it was stuck closed not allowing the coolent into the engine, so i dont think the air in the system is the problem. I do need a oil change so i might change it out and check the oil then but as far as external leaks i cant see any.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

Also if my heater core took a dump wouldnt you smell it really bad inside the car? i had a chevy truck and the heater core leaked all over the pass. side and you could smell that the second you opened the door.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there are no visible leaks then continue with your oil change since your going to do it anyways. If it's not milky then that rules out a blown head gasket or any internal problems.

What was mentioned above should be done and

If your heater core busted it would be all over the passenger floor board.

I still wouldn't rule out air in the system. These cars can be finicky sometimes even if you just changed out something simple like a t-stat.

If everything checks out, do a flush of the system. If it's still overheating don't rule out a clogged radiator. I say that because I just ran into that very problem. It was doomed before I got the car cause it had never been changed when I got it and the previous owner used water with the dexcool for who knows how long. New radiator goes in this winter though so problem solved soon.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:03 PM
12 Second Club

Well ima get the oil changed and see how that turns out and then me and my brother are gonna do a compression test because hes got the tools and well see where that leads me
Thanks for the input
Old 11-06-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Temp sensor on drivers side head could be telling you a false reading, does the car run like sh*t?

Coolant light is on because the sensor on the side of radiator has gunk on the tip or its just bad, just unplug it and your light will disappear, just keep an eye on the level.

Does the motor feel hotter than normal?
Is there any boiling?
Old 01-07-2011, 01:10 AM
Teching In

take one of the heater hoses off wen you are adding coolant and when i starts to come out then put the hose back on because if you just add it into the radiator it will have an air pocket and cause it to overheat i changed water pump, and thermostat until i figured this out

Quick Reply: LS1 Overheating